Lets see your hunting/daily driver rig (Pics)

jolemons

WKR
That’s how I ended up with a wrap on this one. I scratched the holy hell out of my first Black Raptor because it’s so wide. If I screw up and drive through cedar/scrub oak lined trails again hoping the wrap only gets killed.
I got tired of having my Raptor barely fit on too many sketchy, cliffy, muddy, snowy FS roads where I felt like I was going to plummet to my death at any moment. I broke down and brought a Tacoma a few months ago that I made into a heavily modded mountain rig. I'll take the Raptor on known roads and flatter terrain while hunting, but the Taco will be taking me everywhere else. It's surprising how narrow and nimble those things are and they can be bought and modded for less than a new UTV with more durability and longevity.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
1992 Ford Explorer
146k miles

the body is literally mint. not even a door ding. Zero rust original Wyoming truck.

These trucks have some nostalgia for me and I like not having a truck payment. I'll probably drive it until the motor blows, then put a rebuilt motor in it and keep it as a back up rig or a vehicle for people when they come visit.
f8ef0e17becb62ffeb4d367c8f760d9e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Just a pair of boots for me. Drive my 95 camry to the trailhead and hike in.

One day I hope to own a nice truck.

bdg848

WKR
1609469515133.png
Just bought this R51 Nissan Pathfinder, 2011, one owner, 125,000 miles. Seats fold flat for sleeping but I might add a platform for storage underneath and sleeping above. I was looking really hard at the Xterras which have the solid rear axle but after seeing how popular these are in other countries for overlanding, I decided that the 2wd/4hi/4lo and some all terrain tires would be just fine for the driving I do which, if I'm honest is mostly highway driving with just mild "offroad" use every once in a while.

I traded in my Colorado zr2 today, and already miss it. That was my favorite rig I have owned by far. Recently got a work boat that the Colorado can’t pull so had to size up

planned on getting a used pickup but left with a 2021 tundra

Attachments

• DA2EE655-742C-493E-844E-36EEFC6DFB77.jpeg
    DA2EE655-742C-493E-844E-36EEFC6DFB77.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 87

CAD73

FNG
A well-built, locked front and rear Jeep JK and m416 trailer.

Attachments

• 20201113_100502.jpg
    20201113_100502.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 103
I traded in my Colorado zr2 today, and already miss it. That was my favorite rig I have owned by far. Recently got a work boat that the Colorado can’t pull so had to size up

planned on getting a used pickup but left with a 2021 tundra

Bummer, absolutely love my ZR2!

Bummer, absolutely love my ZR2!
the zr2 is my favorite vehicle there is period.... someday i'll own another. if tacoma drivers took a zr2 out for the weekend, there would be a whole lot of used tacos on the market. i went from a 2018 taco trd to a zr2, and i was blown away by the difference... it was 10X the rig as my taco, better in every regard that mattered besides about 1.5mpg difference in favor of the tacoma, which was a very fair trade for the power difference. i'll figure out a way to get another one.... now just isn't the time for 2 car payments, and i can't have an unreliable tow rig for my boat.

i do miss it a lot already, and it's only been a day.

1.5mpg difference in favor of the tacoma, which was a very fair trade for the power difference.

I have an Extended Cab & the 2.8L Duramax, even with a 1.5" front level and 33's I pull high 20's or low 30's on the highway -- 24MPG Average over 44k Miles and I live in Seattle dealing with stop & go + short commutes. Looks killer and can go just about anywhere, I'll add a pic to this thread later, I don't have any on my phone.

kda082

WKR
Question for Tacoma guys. I dig my wife’s 4Runner off road and wonder if I could transition from full size Ram hemi crew to a midsize crew 6 cyl. Kids are out, just wife and I, tow nothing. How cramped is it? Any perks to downsizing other than some garage space?

OverlandOnTheFly

Lil-Rokslider
Question for Tacoma guys. I dig my wife’s 4Runner off road and wonder if I could transition from full size Ram hemi crew to a midsize crew 6 cyl. Kids are out, just wife and I, tow nothing. How cramped is it? Any perks to downsizing other than some garage space?
Phew, lots to dissect here. First off I love my truck, and it was my dream truck at one point. When I am, or when me and the wife used to be solo adventuring it was perfect. Now the kids are getting bigger, they don’t sleep as well in the cab and bed. This is why I’m going to probably be transitioning to a full size.
Tacoma’s benefits are resale value, compact enough to go down most roads and trails, super capable off road if you get the TRD off-road package, insanely durable, one of the largest aftermarket parts suppliers networks, and they look great.
Drawbacks are they are overgeared from the factory, they need lower gears or different transmission. Most benefit from 4.56 or 4.88, and if I keep my truck I will go 5.29. They have horrible payload, you can over load them quick. My truck is probably close to gvw without anyone in it. The 3.5 v6 engine is not a bad engine, but the usable power band is to high in the rpms for normal truck guys to like it. If your a 2wd street truck guy or that asshole who has to bounce off the rev limiter each shift you’ll love it. Perfect for that dude who has that super tourquey v8 who revs it out 3k rpms past its peak power in the power curve and just sounds dumb. This engines for that guy. Those are the major downfalls.
As for downsizing from a full-size to a midsize you’re just going to have to see if that works for you. With me and the wife the truck still has plenty of room. We are both bigger, but not fat but ;) 6’ 200*, 5’9”160*. Not too far apart for the occasional group, but far enough for our elbows are bumping off each other. Throw the kids in the back it gets noticeably tighter.

If it was me I would stick with the 2500, And drive the wife’s 4runner when you can. Those are my plans, my wife has a TRD pro 4Runner, and I’m probably going to upsize to a 2500 with a different style camper on it. Not sure if I’ll go with the 6.4, antiquated but bulletproof, or the Cummins.
anyone got recommendations for me on that one?

Thanks
Morgan

Titan_Bow

WKR
I made the transition from a full size truck to a smaller more capable off-road SUV for hunting, and I love it for the style of hunting I do. 99% of my hunting is solo, and its usually several hours from home. Whether it was my Xterra, or now my 4Runner, I can simply climb in the back and rack out at a trail head or hunting location. If its 10 degress at night, or its pouring down rain, I can simply start the vehicle for a little bit and have heat. No worries about breaking down a camp or stowing a tent or worries about a trailer. Again, for my lifestyle, this works best for me.
Another big plus for me, is the added maneuverability of a smaller SUV. I can think of several times I had to turn around my Xterra on a tight jeep trail or OHV trail. Having to do that in a full size crew-cab pickup would have been a PIA, if it was even do-able at all.
For family camping, I have put together an M101a2 military trailer that I can use for big family trips, or for more "luxury" hunting camp, but again, most of my hunting is bonzai weekend trips where I can easily sleep in my vehicle when I get there.

FLAK

WKR
I actually WANTED a Tacoma a few years back but I dont see how anybody larger than a 9th grade cheerleader can fit comfortably in those darn things. *My work truck is a Colorado which isnt bad at all. Plenty of leg room and I dont feel like my butt is sitting on the floor.
Ended up with a Ram 2500 quad cab which is awesome, esp. for trips. I also have a 94 Landcruiser for hunting/fishing. I'm always amazed at how small it is after being in the other 2 vehicles, but I just use it for short local trips.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went from several 3/4 ton Chevies4x4's to a Tacoma several years ago. My next new truck will be a Tacoma.

If you're not hauling anything, I don't see a real need for a full size truck. The Tacoma has to be one of the most capable off-road trucks right off the lot (save the tires that usually come with them).

As to the poster above that brought up factory gearing issues, mine is a standard and I don't experience any gearing problems (very steep up/down I'll usually be in low range)- my next Tacoma will be a standard as well (if they still make them :))

if you don't tow anything, a small pickup is so beneficial in the woods. they aren't that cramped, are a lot more fun to drive, and can go a lot of places you can't in a full size. i would take a hard look at the colorado zr2 if you are considering midsize.... they are a substantial upgrade from a Tacoma, and just plain fun to drive everywhere. it still has a 5k pound tow limit, so you can pull some stuff with them.

if you like the 4runner, you'll like a midsize pickup. i have had a couple 4runners, my wife has also had a couple 4runners, and i have owned over 10 toyota pickups, a couple nissans, an s-10zr2, colorado zr2, and a couple full sized pickups (3 including my current one) i very much prefer midsize if i don't need more towing capability, it's not even close. i have had a bunch of rigs, even a couple jeeps (hate those) and the colorado zr2 is by FAR my favorite vehicle on the road for a stock rig.... chevy did a crazy good job building that pickup, and they work so well on and off road.

i traded in my 2018 taco trd offroad for a 2017 zr2 and it was a huge upgrade, they aren't even close. my sis in law has a trd pro, and again, no comparison driving it around vs the zr2. you can get the diesel and get some really good mileage, or the gas and have acceptable mileage and excellent power. i think anyone looking for a midsize that will be offroad a fair amount should at least look at the zr2, there is no better rig for an offroad capable midsize.... super peppy and handle so good on and offroad, and like i said, just really fun to drive.

TheGDog

WKR
Managed to snap this really nice pic of my simple 2014 F-150 SuperCrew I bought used for 23K in 2018 with only like 32K miles on it. Only up to 50K so far.

Overall been really pleased with it. The stereo frustrates me a lil though because I'm used to higher end ones. And it's a lil slower to navigate thru the MP3's. But totally doable though.

EDIT: Of all the CrewCabs on the market, this model has the one with thee largest leg-room back there. With the back seats folded up my YETI 110 easily slides in back there just fine. And my gun case easily slides in beside the cooler.

I could easily sleep back there if I took out the YETI put like an airpad onto the floor first.

Before this I had an Explorer SportTrac 2WD that I loved for 17 yrs. But it was a PITA changing out of clothes in it since I'm close to 6 ft and 230Lbs. It's so nice to have all that space in there now. I used to worry about leaving the YETI in the pickup bed locked to the truck with a stout cable. But now I can lock it inside the cab and just crack one of the windows a tiny bit to allow the heat to escape and we're good. I've also learned to tuck a inexpensive Coleman 0 degree bag all around the cooler when I leave the car, as further insulation against the heat that can potentially buildup in the cab on brutally hot days, and it does great.
132260428_396303161462794_6213660899435216897_o.jpg

Last edited:
ADS, trimmed for 37s, re-geared, ARB lockers, sliders, full skids, Total chaos UCA/LCA, 700lb springs...next up is a GFC camper and awning so I can bring the wife/kids/dogs on scouting trips and have them hang at camp.View attachment 244173
do you have the ARB skid plate? looking for a useful full skid plate for my tundra, and it's all hard to sort out.... like asking about a bow or rifle cartridge on a hunting forum.