Let's see your mountain goat pics!

twall13

WKR
I should have brought the spotter along on this trip but 9x binos had to do... lots of goats around. A few wandered through camp as well.
298725b5f22268d501f36c435ebbe0c6.jpg

Cell phone video: https://youtu.be/Qy16FuaKGxQ

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

But, we do care about conservation. I’m no biologist, but I do understand this.

Now let’s see some billy’s

View attachment 207402

View attachment 207403

I get it, but where I do my goat hunting the limit is two, and if you kill two, one is required to be a nanny. I don’t agree with it but that’s the letter of the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bighorse

WKR
How did my daughter shooting a 7 yr old full curl and me shooting a 9yr old broomer get included into a goat hunting thread?

I personally just want to educate goat hunters and don't validate "any goat is a trophy" standards. That being said, if you got em smoke em. In other words harvest, if legal, but don't post pics and expect me to validate your goat as a trophy goat.

And you assume that I feel that the sheep I've packed are trophy class rams in my book.....I don't feel that way just to be clear.

Also...you insinuate we didn't attempt to harvest more mature rams...….Lily shot a ram that stepped out as we were eating dinner after spending three days attempting to corner a large mature Chugach ram. It was a valley ram that wandered into the wrong place at the right time. Lily had enough cliffs and ice fields at that point and harvested a legal ram.

Last edited:

as.ks.ak

WKR
Yeah. And let’s not forget that delta ram. Like I said, experience changes perspectives. Nothing wrong with the guy that blasts a 3 year old billy or nanny. To each their own. No need to try to shame people.
Good luck this fall!

You mean the 38" full curl 7yr old ram my 13yr old daughter killed and was subsequently stolen by a wolverine. That one?

If you guys want to ruin a thread take your drama back over to the AOD forums. Adults acting like children have ruined those forums for most of us already. Don’t start that jazz on Rokslide. This place is too good for that nonsense.

as.ks.ak

WKR

Nice!! So I know they go to big lengths to get collars on goats for studies....what is the reaction from the bios when you bring them in a collared goat? I imagine they’re less than pleased? Just super curious how they handle that scenario.

204guy

WKR
Nice!! So I know they go to big lengths to get collars on goats for studies....what is the reaction from the bios when you bring them in a collared goat? I imagine they’re less than pleased? Just super curious how they handle that scenario.

He came from a population reduction area in WY. They wanted those goats dead so they didn't care. Also the state bio said it was a forest service collar so he didn't care. He did keep them to give back to the FS. He said they could get me dummy collars if I wanted. I havent taken them up on it. He said when some guys shoot a collared sheep they want one to put on the mount.

as.ks.ak

WKR
He came from a population reduction area in WY. They wanted those goats dead so they didn't care. Also the state bio said it was a forest service collar so he didn't care. He did keep them to give back to the FS. He said they could get me dummy collars if I wanted. I havent taken them up on it. He said when some guys shoot a collared sheep they want one to put on the mount.

Roger that!! Pretty neat!

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Cool! There's some nice looking goats in that bunch. Are you able to hunt that area ?

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
That's neat anyways. I know when I did some forestry work back in the day around Burns Lake there was supposedly some good goat populations along some creek gorges. Never did see any at that time tho.

Decker9

WKR
That's neat anyways. I know when I did some forestry work back in the day around Burns Lake there was supposedly some good goat populations along some creek gorges. Never did see any at that time tho.

All those goats in those creeks, all stem from the herd from this little mountain, you probably know the one, rumour is, there use to be an old chinaman that would find gold up there 😉.

Oddly, in my 4-5 years of steady goat’caming up there, Iv only ever gotten one coyote on cam, no wolves and no bears.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Ya that makes total sense for where I was working. It's actually amazing how many goats are scattered thru those low rolling hills. I saw a bunch while bear hunting this spring on another lower elevation mountain a little ways west of your mountain.