Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

eamyrick

WKR
Got a little too excited there :ROFLMAO:
Mike you got me thinking about a superlite in 308 dropped into a Wildcat or Brown Precision (both would run around $1100 bedded for the stock but have to work out and import deal for the Wildcats). I’m thinking you could get awfully close to 5lbs. Cut the 22 inch 308 fluted barrel to 21.

Dobermann

WKR
Found it, looks close to 4” :)

View attachment 643225
That squares with the thread job I had done recently - we didn't measure it exactly, but running the shoulder 1-2 mm in front of the fluting gave us about a 21" barrel.

This was just a rough measurement out of interest, but I was happy to have that extra inch for a tiiiiny bit of increased velocity out of the (comparatively slower) Tikka barrel than a 20". Unlikely to really matter in the field, perhaps, but gives me the warm fuzzies anyway.

Also meant no need to muck around with a thread adapter to get a shoulder if cutting into the fluting. I kniow Form recommends the adapters, but having the shoulder just in front means I can just run a direct-thread titanium suppressor and have one less part in the mix / one less option for what Phil Velayo calls the 'shit stacking effect'.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mike you got me thinking about a superlite in 308 dropped into a Wildcat or Brown Precision (both would run around $1100 bedded for the stock but have to work out and import deal for the Wildcats). I’m thinking you could get awfully close to 5lbs. Cut the 22 inch 308 fluted barrel to 21.

What's the Brown weigh? I know the Wildcat is light, but I know they haven't (in the near past anyways) been overly excited about getting them into the US

The Peak 44 Blacktooth is 19-20 oz, pretty light- I think (someone please correct me me if I'm wrong) the TX3 syn stock is 28 oz

eamyrick

WKR
What's the Brown weigh? I know the Wildcat is light, but I know they haven't (in the near past anyways) been overly excited about getting them into the US

The Peak 44 Blacktooth is 19-20 oz, pretty light- I think (someone please correct me me if I'm wrong) the TX3 syn stock is 28 oz
Wildcat is supposed to finish at 20. Brown can do the same we just have to twist his arm. My factory tikka stock is 29oz

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
Well I had mine in an XLR and while it was a blast at the range it was just too heavy and bulky for what I’ll likely do with it.

I grabbed a stockys with the discount code they threw us last month and sent the barreled action to LRI to get chopped to 17” and have the barrel and bolt fluted. I’ll shoot it tomorrow for the first time.
IMG_5393.jpeg

Last edited:

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Well I had mine in an XLR and while it was a blast at the range it was just too heavy and bulky for what I’ll likely do with it.

I grabbed a stockys with the discount code they threw us last month and sent the barreled action to LRI to get chopped to 17” and have the barrel and bolt fluted. I’ll shoot it tomorrow for the first time.
View attachment 646780
Does the stocks weigh more than the factory stock? Looks great!

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you.
I think it’s close but can’t remember exactly. The rifle is 7 lb 4 oz as you see it with the Trijicon tenmile but without the bipod/ammo.

Zman52

FNG
Just finished this project up today.

Tikka T3x Superlite 7mm-08
Mesa Precision Altitude Stock
Mountain Tactical Bottom Metal
Fluted Bolt
Yodave Trigger Spring
Long Action Magazine/Bolt Stop
Sportsmatch Rings
Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV

58d1bcd44c1d25178cb3c8b96353dc6a.jpg
How does this rifle shoot? I have been wanting to do something just like this but have heard the SS 7mm-08 have issue with accuracy. Any truth to this?

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 646780
These things just shoot, shoot easy, no issues. No other brand I’ve owned just continuously works like my tikka.
IMG_5426.jpegIMG_5427.jpeg

Smooch

FNG

View attachment 646780
Is that a factory barrel?