Leupold for my Marlin 336

Dazzler

WKR
Now that deer season is over, I'm looking to change things up. I have come into possession of a Leupold FX II 2.5x28 IER. It will require a new rail to accomodate the eye relief according to my reasearch.

I'm also interested in the FX II 2.5x20 ultralight since its closer to what I'm familiar.

I'm a little hesitant on the IER, since I've never shot with an IER optic.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I go down this road? Is this one of those "gotta try it to know if you like it" type things?

TxJW

FNG
I have the 2.5x20 ultralight on a 336 and really like it. I have it mounted on a Ashley Performance mount that pushes the scope forward just enough to give good clearance, close to barrel mounting, and perfect eye relief for the slightly longer eye relief available in the ultralight. To me it is a perfect setup for close range hunting with a 336.Marlin photos closeup.JPG

OP
D

Dazzler

WKR
I was just looking at the Ashley performance mount. It’s either that on the xs rail.

Did you have to remove the rear sight with the Ashley? Does t look like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxJW

FNG
I believe so. I would have removed it anyway. The XS rail is good also, but the scope is higher and not that perfect fit like the Ashley. They have an article on the website that explains the theory and what Leupold scopes they have worked with. It really is a perfect match in my opinion.

I have the 2.5x20 ultralight on a 336 and really like it. I have it mounted on a Ashley Performance mount that pushes the scope forward just enough to give good clearance, close to barrel mounting, and perfect eye relief for the slightly longer eye relief available in the ultralight. To me it is a perfect setup for close range hunting with a 336.View attachment 369662
Very interesting! I've resisted the urge to mount a scout scope for years. I've just never been able to get on board with the mid barrel mounting and searching for the sweet spot in the scope. These scopes and mounts seemed to have solved the problem. I wouldn't mind a super light low power mounted in such a way on my 1894 .357 to hunt in straight wall cartridge only states.

pc3

WKR
I have a weaver 1-3 on my 336W works a treat. Not sure if that scope is made anymore but it is a made in Japan scope.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24 CDS w/Firedot for my Henry 45-70. The glass is amazing. I also have 3 other Leupold scopes (2 are VX-5HD 3-15x44; one is Firedot the other is HTMR) and a Freedom BDS Red Dot.

Leupold are great scopes. IMHO you can't go wrong with them.

OP
D

Dazzler

WKR
I believe so. I would have removed it anyway. The XS rail is good also, but the scope is higher and not that perfect fit like the Ashley. They have an article on the website that explains the theory and what Leupold scopes they have worked with. It really is a perfect match in my opinion.

I really wanted to use that Ashley mount but I emailed them and their response was that it probably would not work well with my Leupold scout scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk