Leupold VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 vs Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12x40?

Brocneal

FNG
Looking to buy a scope for my new 17 HMR and I've narrowed it down to these 2. What's everyone's experience with them and is the vx-3HD worth the extra money. I've been told the HD glass by itself is worth the extra money, this is my first scope purchase so I'm not sure if it is or not!

eric1115

WKR
Hate to be this guy, but neither.

What are your goals/use for this rifle? I can't think of any that I would pick either of those scopes for.

What are you planning to shoot and at what ranges?

I have that Freedom, bought it used for a good price when I needed a scope quickly. I like it, it does the job and seems clear enough. I don't have the 3HD to offer a comparison, got a 5HD though which is obviously a ton more expensive.

eric1115

WKR
I guess to expand on my answer, there's nothing you'll point that rifle at where glass quality will make the difference between a hit and a miss.

Loss of zero from riding in the truck, however, will make you miss. Poor return to zero if you dial your elevation corrections will make you miss. Both are pretty well known common issues with both of those scopes.

For vx3hd money, I would 100% choose one of the following:

-Trijicon Credo on sale at Euro optic.

The 2.5-10x56 is an astounding deal right now. If you want a more compact package the 3-9x40 is still a great deal.

-SWFA 3-9 or fixed 6x. I haven't checked stock on these, but they are usually on backorder. Nothing short of Nightforce will be more reliable than these scopes.

• Banned
OP
B

Brocneal

FNG
Hate to be this guy, but neither.

What are your goals/use for this rifle? I can't think of any that I would pick either of those scopes for.

What are you planning to shoot and at what ranges?
It's primarily going to be used for hunting prairie dogs out to 200 yards or so. I understand it probably won't make a difference between a hit or a miss, but with that argument why buy any expensive glass when you could buy the same power scope for a lot less and it won't determine a hit or a miss.

• Banned
OP
B

Brocneal

FNG
I have that Freedom, bought it used for a good price when I needed a scope quickly. I like it, it does the job and seems clear enough. I don't have the 3HD to offer a comparison, got a 5HD though which is obviously a ton more expensive.
more expensive.
Do you notice a huge difference between the 5HD and the Freedom? I was at the sporting goods store with the 3HD and the Freedom and couldn't tell a huge difference if really any at all. I was told the difference is when you're outside in low lighting and behind the scope for a long amount of time that you would notice. I don't know how true that is but that's what everyone has told me!

eric1115

WKR
It's primarily going to be used for hunting prairie dogs out to 200 yards or so. I understand it probably won't make a difference between a hit or a miss, but with that argument why buy any expensive glass when you could buy the same power scope for a lot less and it won't determine a hit or a miss.
Oh I'm not at all saying that good glass quality is unimportant. I'm saying lots of folks overestimate the importance of glass quality in a rifle scope, while underestimating the importance of mechanical reliability. Ideally, you get both. There are not a ton of scopes that do that well though. Trijicon does. SWFA would be by most people's estimate a step up in mechanical quality and a step down in optical clarity. Nightforce (or Trijicon Tenmile) would be a way to bump both mechanical and optical quality up from those Trijicon Credo's. Lots of options for great glass quality but questionable at best mechanical reliability including Leupold, Vortex, Athlon, and even some very premium priced options. This is what most of the buyers in the market ask for (glass quality and features like illumination, zero stop, etc), and to paraphrase what I think was a Mencken quote, they get it good and hard.

Do you notice a huge difference between the 5HD and the Freedom? I was at the sporting goods store with the 3HD and the Freedom and couldn't tell a huge difference if really any at all. I was told the difference is when you're outside in low lighting and behind the scope for a long amount of time that you would notice. I don't know how true that is but that's what everyone has told me!
Low light there will be a difference, but with my eyes that only buys me a few minutes anyway. I'll say nobody I've ever known has had a Leupold that lost zero. The Freedom as well as some of my others have endured some seriously rattle your kidneys loose boat rides and plenty of 1000 mile drives ending deep in national forest roads or BLM cliche roads with horrible blade chop with no issues. I rarely ever dial anything so can't really speak to the dialing but the few times I have they returned fine. Some of these scopes are pushing 30 years old, old VX-Ls were my favorite. My son shot his first antelope two years ago with the rifle my father zero'd for me in 1992 with a Vari-X III and hasn't been touched since. That ammo he used was 15 years old too lol..

rbaney

FNG
I have several of the VX3s and a couple VX5s I have had not problems with either. However I have no experience with the Freedom version. I would get the best glass you can afford. Now with that being said, it really is best to go somewhere you can look through both and see what one looks best to you.

I'm not sure if the Freedom Rimfire has the same turrets as the rest of the Freedom line, but my rimfire VX-Freedom has cheap plastic turrets with horrible feel and hard to turn. VX-3HD all day for the turret feel and probably small increase in light gathering or low light performance. I have a VX-3 and both scopes look great during the day, but I have not had the Freedom out at twilight yet. The VX-3 50mm objective gathers light very well after sunset.

My opinion is the VX-3 is worth the upgrade over the Freedom. And I like the VX-3 line for simple, no frills, set and forget hunting scopes. I only have one, but wouldn't mind getting another down the road, probably second hand to save $$. Seen Vx-3 duplex scopes sold under $400 recently.

I have to agree with the wisdom that most scopes look good in bright light. But it can be difficult to test glass quality before buying. I still don't think I can appreciate the differences. I don't have experience with alpha glass, but from old VariX-II, VX-Freedom, SWFA HD glass, Vortex Razor LHT, to Zeis Diavari, all looked "good" in broad daylight or indoors. Though my VX3 4.5-14x50 does very well after sundown.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
I've been using the Freedom in the model you described above for 10 years for shooting squirls for about 8 years. It's performed flawlessly. I like the options on the VX3 more, but I don't think it's needed for what I use the gun for. I have that scope on 2-3 guns, but they are on large calibers and are used for greater distances on big game. It seems to have better glass.

With the 17HMR, I would want something I could hold off for wind. We shoot where most squeakers are 150-300 yards. Wind really pushes that light bullet around so we generally shoot the .223. I would guess the 17 will drift 3-5 times as much as the .223 in wind, and also has much more drop.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I've never had the Freedom loose zero. I've been hunting with it lots of tough conditions and holds zero as good as any. I do not dial with it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I currently have the VX-Freedom 4-12x40 w/ 1in tube. I have it on my AR-15 in 6mm ARC. The main reason I purchased it was for the weight. I think it weighs only 12-13oz. The glass is great for the price and have no complaints out to 200-250 yards. I do want to take my 6ARC out further and I am still very conscious about weight. I am actually looking to upgrade to the 3HD 4.5-14x40 but I am not sure if there will be much of a difference to matter. I think I am going to take a bigger jump to the Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42. I'm sure you made your purchase already. What did you get, and how do you like it?

qmalone64

FNG
Enjoyed my vx-3HD so far. Just range time with it so far but no complaints. Cant speak to the freedom. Only other experience is with older leupolds. The vx-3 is clearer/brighter than my older vx-2

All my Leupolds have held zero's so far, used CDS on few hunts up to 350 yards and they worked as expected. One of the reasons I prefer Leupolds is their weight, lot lighter than other brands. Leupold vx3 4.5-14x0 will weigh around 12 - 15 oz compared to Zeiss or Trijicom which will cost twice as much and weigh between 23 and 26 oz. But to each his own pilgrim.