Lever Action Hunters

I just picked up a marlin 336. 1970s* vintage a few rust spots On the barrel and action.

I am thinking a peep sight and maybe having it coated.

seems like Skinner and Xs are popular sight options. Is there a sight that has a rear peep but also some fins or ears on either side to protect the peep sight?

what about coating? Parkerize? Ceratcote? Is there someone who specializes in them that I ought to look at or should I send to a local guy.

* I thought it was newer but serial # is 1975.

Last edited:
I just picked up a marlin 336. 80s or 90s vintage a few rust spots On the barrel and action.

I am thinking a peep sight and maybe having it coated.

seems like Skinner and Xs are popular sight options. Is there a sight that has a rear peep but also some fins or ears on either side to protect the peep sight?

what about coating? Parkerize? Ceratcote? Is there someone who specializes in them that I ought to look at or should I send to a local guy.
Mine is a lot like yours; a 90s model that had some worn finish on it. I kinda liked it, so I sanded off the little rust spots the best I could, then Duracoated it clear to keep that worn look. It was actually pretty easy to do at home.

Show after a it of research, I am going with a skinner peep. I ordered a rear sight with protective wings from skinner. Looks like an easy install. Adding a limb saver and looking for ammo to try it out. Still on the fence about RE-coating the gun or just leaving it with a bit of character, blued and a few rust spots. I am not interested in a show piece so i may leave it alone now and see how much I end up shooting it And liking it.

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
Show after a it of research, I am going with a skinner peep. I ordered a rear sight with protective wings from skinner. Looks like an easy install. Adding a limb saver and looking for ammo to try it out. Still on the fence about RE-coating the gun or just leaving it with a bit of character, blued and a few rust spots. I am not interested in a show piece so i may leave it alone now and see how much I end up shooting it And liking it.
You will love the Skinner sights
I have a low profile Skinner with Williams firedot front sight on my 336(30-30)
And a Skinner winged peep with Skinner front blade on my 1895(45-70)
My marlin dark( 45-70) has the XS system which is bomb proof as well

I took my Winchester model 1894 .30WCF (circa 1899), down to Kodiak a couple weeks ago with the hope of killing a goat with it, and although I did take it up into goat terrain briefly, I was not able to close the distance to make a comfortable shot (I was not comfortable shooting beyond 100 or so yards). We (my son and I), were able to kill a couple deer with it though. I bought this rifle used a couple years ago, so I have no idea what it's history is, but I can now say that I've killed a deer with a rifle that's 121 years old. :)
a19474565bd7ded715c906e97dc3b050.jpg

Cheaha

FNG
I like the Skinner peep too. I have one mounted on a Marlin 1894 in .44mag. It's a fun gun to shoot and I have made shots on deer out to 95 yards with no problem. Probably could take a little longer shot but I don't usually carry it if I think a long shot is probable.

I also have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington I found at a gun show for $123.00. Almost all the bluing was worn off and I had no idea how it was going to shoot when I bought it. Research on the serial number revealed it was made in 1956. I gave it a good cleaning and mounted a scope on it to see what it could do. I was blown away by how well it shoots so I had it re-blued and touched up the stock with some linseed oil. It's one of my favorite rifles now. I've used it mostly with the factory sights but this year it sports an old Tasco 6x for fun.

I just ordered and installed this rear peep on a 1958 Marlin 336 in 30-30. I have not found time to get to the range but this sight seems very well machined and is supposed to work with stock front bead sights.

I was intending to use this rifle on a fourth season cow elk hunt but a staph infection and 5 more weeks of IV antibiotic infusions wrecked that plan. (damnit!)

atod9

FNG
I had one of those mornings where you wake up, an decide you need something. Then a day turns into months and I finally decided to commit to it. My new to me Marlin 1895CB 26in Octogon Barrel JM in 45-70. I'm excited to go down the lever action road.

I'll likley be shooting one of the Leverevolution catridges through it. I'll use it for everything from Antelope to elk to bear. . I'm going to scope it at first while I figure it all out and then get a nice set of skinner sights and go iron sights someday.

Has anyone had luck with their lever gun? Post some animals you got with your lever. Seems like long range rifles are getting all the love recently.

atod9

FNG
I have a 1895cb as well. I settled on a peep sight from Ranger Point Precision. On my old one I had a scout scope, a leupold freedom 1-4. It worked really well too.

TxxAgg

WKR
I scoped my 336 30-30 with a Leupold 4x28 Rimfire and added a Badger Claw cartridge holder. Gona play with it like this for a while.

Attachments

• 1876F6DF-D68C-42C8-AC33-FEDF532C4E6C.jpeg
    1876F6DF-D68C-42C8-AC33-FEDF532C4E6C.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 57
  • 66DC989D-997B-420F-BBBC-E204E8575A8A.jpeg
    66DC989D-997B-420F-BBBC-E204E8575A8A.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 57

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I have lots of Ranger Point parts on my 444. They have yet to disappoint.

OXN939

WKR
I scoped my 336 30-30 with a Leupold 4x28 Rimfire and added a Badger Claw cartridge holder. Gona play with it like this for a while.
So I took my little '94 AR Trapper out to shoot a group yesterday before using it on a few whitetail hunts. Fun little gun, standard 2" groups you might expect at 100. Shooting it next to some of my bolt guns really highlighted how heavy and nasty the trigger pull is... truly it's gotta be almost 10 pounds and has a decent bit of creep. Any of you guys ever done a trigger job or switched the springs? It's so much heavier and longer than what I usually hunt with, I could definitely see the combination of that, some solid adrenaline and a field expedient rest causing accuracy issues

TxxAgg

WKR
So I took my little '94 AR Trapper out to shoot a group yesterday before using it on a few whitetail hunts. Fun little gun, standard 2" groups you might expect at 100. Shooting it next to some of my bolt guns really highlighted how heavy and nasty the trigger pull is... truly it's gotta be almost 10 pounds and has a decent bit of creep. Any of you guys ever done a trigger job or switched the springs? It's so much heavier and longer than what I usually hunt with, I could definitely see the combination of that, some solid adrenaline and a field expedient rest causing accuracy issues
I haven't replaces springs, but I did add a new wild west trigger to get rid of the wobble. I did a wee bit of sanding while I was there to help with the smoothness. Trigger pull is around 4-5#

OXN939

WKR
I haven't replaces springs, but I did add a new wild west trigger to get rid of the wobble. I did a wee bit of sanding while I was there to help with the smoothness. Trigger pull is around 4-5#
Got a link to the one you installed? Only one I could find was for Marlins. Wolff's website says the factory spring is 18 pounds... even for a lawyer trigger, that seems insane. Most of what I'm reading says to just take it apart and polish it.

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I both lightened the hammer spring and polished/ profiled the sear. Check out marlin owners forum you'll find tones of advice / options. My trigger is now 3.5lbs and breaks nice and clean