Lifespan of Synthetic vs Down bags/quilts?

The title pretty much says it all. How much longer does down hold its loft? If it's 3-4x as long I'm more inclined to pay for down!

Take Apex as an example, how long will a well built quilt hold it's temp rating? Now what if it's 850 fill down instead?

I have a Western Mountaineering down bag that is over 35 years old.It has not lost any loft.It is as warm as the day I bought it

JP100

WKR
From what I have seen, and guys I have talked to in the industry down will basically live for ever if its stored properly.

Synthetics break down every time you compress them. One guy(who works for a clothing company) told me that Primaloft can loose 50% of its 'loft'/warmth in as little as 1-2 years with alot of use. Thats at the high end of of the use spectrum, ie a guide with almost daily use.

For a jacket I do not think its such an issue, as you generally do not compress it as much.

For a sleeping bag that will be compressed alot a down bag will last much longer(I think, and from what I have seen on it).

For any temp rating a down bag will be near on half the weight(if you go to 800-850 loft) of even the best synthetics.
I think the best synthetics(Primaloft gold and Apex) are comparable to about a 600-650 Loft down for warmth vs weight.

For me down is king, its lighter, warmer, last for a long time, compresses better, is 'sustainable'.

Down or synthetic insulation? | Outdoorline

Gear Explained: Synthetic Insulation - Trailspace

The Down vs Synthetic Guide: Sierra Trading Post

Back in the early 1980s my wife and I bought 2 down bags from North Face. That was in the day of North Face being a small California company building high-end outdoor gear only. Our bags were the Ibex model and made in USA. We kept and used them until 2011 when I decided to sell them. They were just as lofty and warm as when new, and they sold easily. A buyer bought both of them and they paid more for them than we did originally....not adjusting for inflation of course. Down lasts as long as the shell material as long as it’s cared for correctly.

I still own an original Sierra Designs down vest which was made in USA in the ‘80s. It is super light and fluffy. I’m going to sell it next, along with a couple Feathered Friends garments I no longer have a use for.

elkduds

WKR
My Gerry down bag from 1974 has lost a little loft from being stored compressed for 25 years, before I wised up. Still gets used each fall.

stevie

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using 2 North Face bags since the early 80's, they loft fine, 20 degree bags still keep us warm in given temps.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been using 2 North Face bags since the early 80's, they loft fine, 20 degree bags still keep us warm in given temps.

Synthetics can loose 30 percent pretty easily in a year or two with regular usage. Compression is the killer. Regular usage does not mean how a guide would use it either.

Down can loose about 10 percent max.

Regarding bags or clothes, I have never really had a down piece loose much, but I have had synthetics that were say warm to 25 as glassing clothing, turn into warm at 40 after 3 years of regular usage.

If memory serves me correct, some of the older / heavier synthetics perform better than the lighter ones.

For me, I use down .. I may use synthetic to augment and move moisture in real cold weather.

As for clothes, I prefer down for warmth, apex for active insulation. I went downhill skiing the other day on a cold day where it was likely close to 0 F at tree line wearing Sitka Core Heavyweight, Arcteryx Kyanite Hoody, Lightweight Down vest, and a non insulated shell. I can do almost anything with some variation of that combo, add in sitka apex stuff for a lot of activity and a lighter shell when needed or a big puffy belay style for non active.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
Thanks guys, you've pretty much answered my question. Sounds like down is far more cost effective in the long run.