Lightening up a Kifaru pack system

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my situation. I am looking at elk hunting 3-4 days from a spike camp then returning to a base camp for a night and either returning to the spike camp or relocating. I am currently running a Duplex Hunter frame, DT2, Guide Lid, Grab-it 2. I bought this system for my first hunt 3 years ago but am now looking to modify/refine for a lighter more efficient system. I am considering ditching the DT2 and running the guide lid and Grab it for day hunting and using a OR dry bag for my camp. This would allow me to run the Lid, Dry bag and Grab it for my hikes in and out then ditch the camp bag and go ultra lite with frame, lid and grab it for day hunts. Any one tried this? Any thoughts or suggestions? I've about blown my gear budget for this year so I would like to reframe from buying a new bag or pack system for this season.

mt100gr.

WKR
Have you taken the scissors to that guide lid yet? 🤔

I trimmed a pretty good bit of weight from mine.

I'm not familiar with the DT2, but I finally got brave and did some hacking and re-situating on an Argali bag. I got that very simple bag down to 19oz. I think my guide lid is right at 8oz. (Disclaimer here is that I modified it to fit a stone glacier Evo frame. I could put it back on my kifaru frame but it wouldn't fit like they intended.)

If you see a path to literally cut some weight off the pack, I say go for it. I mocked up a dry bag, lid, grab-it system once and could never quite get the mess to settle how I wanted. If you had a functional compression panel it may work better. I found that a bag with fixed strap locations works better for the way I pack.

Last edited:

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
Its worth setting it up and trying it if you already have what you need, theres nothing wrong with a simple system like that. Id have an extra compression strap or 2 with you for packing out an animal with that type of setup for sure, or if you had the budget pick up a used cargo net or panel from the classifieds.

bsnedeker

WKR
So I'm not super familiar with the DT2, but it looks like big bag with a good amount of pockets for random storage. If I were you I would ditch the lid and grab-it and just suck down the DT2 for day hunting. Stash your gear you need access to in the pockets and/or at the top of the pack. When you get an animal down take the first load out in the pack, then come back with the grab-it for the rest of the load out.

I'm running the guide lid and Sherman on my duplex lite for a day pack. I think it's going work out great.

I’ve trimmed my guide lid up and saved a bunch of weight there. Removed a few things from my bags to lighten them also. Frame is already paired down as far as I think you can go. I ditched my grab it long ago and just strap my bow directly to my bag when traveling and it’s not in my hand.

Agree you can ditch the guide lid and grab it to save some weight by running bag only.

Tried the “dry bag only” on the frame with the guide lid and grab it like you mentioned and I found I just prefer the simplicity of the bag and not worrying about rigging a dry bag to the frame. Cinch and go or open up and haul away. Too easy for me to mess with the dry bag on the frame scenario.

***Remember.......when you cut things off your pack they will not grow back. Be really sure you’re making cuts you can live with because it could affect resale later on.

I agree on the weight problem...I had a DT1 and a DT2. Sold them both, now I run a Reckoning (I like the center zip for access, but doesn't solve the weight issue). It's probably a bit last minute for you to upgrade packs now in any case, so as mentioned above, I'd run the DT2 without guide lid, compress it for day hunts and pack the meat inside the pack (no grab-it required). I also use a sea to summit 65liter dry bag in wet environments (Alaska). I have saddled it between the wings of a Kifaru Nomad bag, with the Grab-It supporting the bottom of the dry bag. Drop the dry bag at camp and hunt with the nomad & Grab-It. Not a bad setup. Pre-owned Kifaru bags sell quickly and hold some value if you decide to sell eventually.

Come to think of it, using the guide lid only with the Grab-it would work. I've day hunted with only the guide lid. 2000 ci gets the job done for a day outing. Get a set of compression straps for packing in the dry bag. I might try this as well. Good post.

I sure like my Guide Lid as a small pack for final stalks on sheep, caribou, deer, bears to carry a snack, rain gear and water bottle, etc. I'd never cut out off the shoulder straps and hip belt. Turned out a stalk on a Dall ram took me about 8 hrs one day and I was dang thankful for the water and trail mix in the Guide Lid. Would have been hungry and dehydrated without it since the main stalk with the Reckoning started 6 hrs earlier than the "final stalk" where I got pinned down. Good luck!

I use a pair of straps with K-clips as shoulder straps for my guide lid instead of the factory attached shoulder straps. They pull double duty as pack straps and holding my bow to my AMR.

welpro222

WKR
I agree with mrbillbrown, it will not grow back and looses value. Loosing a few oz by cutting straps off it just not worth it. Training harder is the answer or weight can be saved elsewhere.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion is that if you are so concerned with a few ounces that you have to start cutting your pack up you should consider selling and buying a brand with a lighter set up. I know everyone loves their Kifaru but if ounces are that important there are other options out there. Anyways... just an opinion and you know what they say about those. YMMV

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, that’s a good idea about the K clips and straps for the guide lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpctcb

WKR
...I finally got brave and did some hacking and re-situating on an Argali bag. I got that very simple bag down to 19oz.

I would like some info on your 19oz Argali. Do you have a thread or can you please post some info/pics?

BP

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input, I am going to give it a shot with the dry bag and see how it works. I really like the set up for day hunting with the GL and grab it. I’ve been doing training hikes with a 50lb bag of corn strapped to the frame below the GL and grab it, so far it works well.

mt100gr.

WKR
I would like some info on your 19oz Argali. Do you have a thread or can you please post some info/pics?

BP

I don't want to hijack this thread, so consider this post an example of ways to reduce pack weight.

As mentioned, this Argali was re-situated to go on a SG krux Evo frame.

From the top: Replace the draw cord with a lighter cord material and cinch/slide-lock.
I cut out the hypalon sleeve and added ladder locks to the top of the bag where it attaches to the top of the frame. SG has top, side and bottom compression straps fixed to the frame so the weight loss was pretty straight forward. 20190901_140145.jpg

I cut all of the attached compression straps off the bag, leaving enough material to sew a tab loop in its place. Each of these tab loops got a split-bar ladder lock to accept the compression strap.from the frame. 20190901_140205.jpg

The argali lid straps were cut off, and shorter pieces attached about 2/3 of the way up the bag. These can catch the buckles for a lid or reach the split bar ladder locks that I have in place for when the top of the bag is folded down (bivy mode).

The ladder locks take some getting used to vs SR buckles but they're much lighter. I packed more than a few heavy loads last year and strength was never a concern.

Lastly, the SG meat shelf is still usable. I just slack all the ladder locks and slide whatever I need behind the bag into the sling. Tighten it all up and away I go.

I also replaced the buckles on my guide lid with split bar ladder locks so the frame straps that hold the top of the bag and the newly positioned lid straps on the bag attach to those.

I did trade one ladder lock back for a SR buckle so I can quickly attach a rifle to one side of the pack when it's full and everything else is snuggled up. I also usually have k-clip compression strap over the top of the bag and have moved it around as needed to secure my bow or wrap the whole bag back to the frame with a meat load. Bare bones it is very light and not too cumbersome to use. There are some tradeoffs though.

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Are you buying the hardware from kifaru, is there another place to get good clips and hardware?