Lightweight Scope Choice for Kimber Montana

Just picked up one in 7mm-08 from a Rokslider. Need glass. I am looking at VX-3i in 2.5-8x36. I have a VX-2 in 2-7x33.

I want to keep it light and compact. Shots will be 300 yards and in so 7 or 8 power is plenty. Also considering fixed 6x.

Thought or recommendations? I will buy once/cry once for the right glass.

Last edited:
Your on the right track in my opinion! I've got a VX3 2.5-8 B&C on my .223 Kimber Montana calling gun. I have VX2 2-7's w/LR Dots on the 7-08 and .338 Fed Kimber Montanas. They are fine for big game and really compact and light as you know.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
SWFA. Not light, but who cares about scope weight when going light sacrifices mechanical integrity? Obviously some people, but not I. Shooting becomes a lot more fun once you start using aiming devices that work.
I use the 1-4x24 w/illumination or the 6x42mq with confidence. 1-4 is lighter.

OP
Bezamaelee
SWFA. Not light, but who cares about scope weight when going light sacrifices mechanical integrity? Obviously some people, but not I. Shooting becomes a lot more fun once you start using aiming devices that work.
I use the 1-4x24 w/illumination or the 6x42mq with confidence. 1-4 is lighter.

Would you recommend the 2-10x32 Ultralight, also? I’m not familiar with this line of scopes (SWFA) but have seen them brought up on rockslide often. That ultralight model is the one that peaks my interest

Originally I had a 2-7x28 ultralight with talley extra lows and switched to a vx3i 2.5-8x36 on lows and I'm very happy with the move. More field of view with a bit more magnification and a better cheek weld. Still a lightweight setup on an 84m and well balanced for a wide range of hunting situations. I don't see the point of slapping an anchor on top of a lightweight rifle like a kimber, but that's just me.

Last edited:
I like your idea of the 2.5-8x36mm Leupold. That's a nice scope and would look good on that rifle. Another one to consider would be a 6x36mm Leupold or maybe even the 6x42mm Leupold. I have had both fixed power scopes from Leupold and loved them both.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Would you recommend the 2-10x32 Ultralight, also? I’m not familiar with this line of scopes (SWFA) but have seen them brought up on rockslide often. That ultralight model is the one that peaks my interest
I have not tried that one. I have the 6x42MQ, 1-4x24 standard illuminated, 4-9MQHD, and 1-6x24HD. I can recommend any of those without question.

Just picked up one in 7mm-08 from a Rokslider. Need glass. I am looking at VX-3i in 2.5-8x36. I have a VX-2 in 2-7x33.

I want to keep it light and compact. Shots will be 300 yards and in so 7 or 8 power is plenty. Also considering fixed 6x.

Thought or recommendations? I will buy once/cry once for the right glass.
i think your initial instincts are on point. inside 300yds you certainly don't need a dial. heavy scopes on light rifles to me defeats the purpose and ruins the balance of the rifle.

BDC reticles are nice (as long as it's simple) for paper punching and gaining confidence in the rifle, and they are already there with no extra weight or moving parts if you decide to utilize it in the woods.

Monty3006

FNG
On my Montana .308 I’ve had a 2.5-8x36 vx3, 3-10 SHV, and it now has a 3-9x40 Trijicon Accupoint. They’ve all worked well. I would have been happy to keep the SHV on it but bought another rifle it was better suited to and I prefer the weight of the Trijicon in it.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Your first instinct is correct. You doing need to “dial”. Get a VX-3, that is the perfect scope for that rifle and your use of it.

I am absolutely in agreement with the thought process of not putting a heavy scope on a light wt. rifle, and since I also have no desire to long range hunt, I really don’t feel the need for a high magnification scope on any of my rifles. I think that having the best quality glass (binos and spotter), that I can afford is imperative, but I don’t really feel the need for expensive optics on my rifles. That said, my current favorite light wt. set up wears a Leupold VX-2, 3-9x33 ultralight w/CDS (9 oz.). Other light wt. setups are topped with a VX-2, 2-7x33 (10 oz.), Swaro Z3, 3-9x36 (12 oz.), and a couple with VX-3i, 3.5-10x40 w/CDS (12 oz.). I don’t have any experience with the fixed scopes or that ultralight SWFA, but I’m interested in hearing people’s thoughts on those, as I’m currently in the market for LW glass to go on a Kimber Adirondack. SWFA has the UL currently on sale for $350, but the free shipping code only applies to the lower 48, and I refuse to pay $32 to have it shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How did that shv ride? I want to stay light but that shv is tempting. Was it too bulky?

no, actually it was a pretty good fit. I had it mounted with talley lightweight low rings and I’d have zero issues doing it again, in fact I may do it again at some point.