Scope mounting options for Kimber montana

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I want to use my Montana 308 more, I’m ready to ditch the talley lightweight rings and the leupold 2.5-8x36 scope on it.

I’ll put a trijicon 3-9 on it, what options are out there for a ring setup that is more reliable/durable than the talley light weights?

Is DNZ my best option?

Thanks!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This 100%. I use pic and ARC rings on every primary rifle after having multiple failures with other mounting systems.
I hear you. I was hoping to gain a bit of reliability without giving up too much weight. Have you had or heard of the DNZ rings having any issues? If a rail and rings is the play in the end then fine but it’s a sub 5lb rifle and a 13oz scope so it would be nice to not have half a pound in scope mounting stuff.

Wapiti151

WKR
I have used DNZ in the past, and personally, have never had an issue when I had them on hunting rifles. In fact I still have a couple on rimfire rifles, I like them well enough on those.

I have a kimber hunter 6.5cm that I pulled gel and cut bbl to 19” and had glass bedded. With the lightest pic rail I could find, and ARC rings with Leupold VX3hd mounted, it weighs 6lbs 4oz. From my personal experience, I’d rather have 8oz of weight on the rifle and be confident that my mounting system is damn near bomb proof. I’d imagine DNZ mounts are 4oz or so…an ARC ring set is around 5oz, plus a pic rail is a few more. So in reality, you’d actually have a net gain of just a few ounces. ARC rings are also heavier (I think) than some other good ones, Seekins, Hawkins, etc. I have had two failures before and it’s just not worth it to me. But…none of the failures I’ve had were DNZ, fwiw.

I want to use my Montana 308 more, I’m ready to ditch the talley lightweight rings and the leupold 2.5-8x36 scope on it.

I’ll put a trijicon 3-9 on it, what options are out there for a ring setup that is more reliable/durable than the talley light weights?

Is DNZ my best option?

Thanks!
I'd give the DNZ rings a try. I have a set on my 30-06 Sauer 100 with an Accupoint and they seem sturdy enough. Also have a 7-08 Montana that will be receiving a 3-9x40mm Huron. If I didn't already have Talleys, I'd probably try the DNZ. For the record, I'm not a big fan of Pic rails on hunting rifles because I often carry my rifle one-handed with my fingers under the scope.

DBMR

FNG
Just curious, have you experienced issues with the setup you are currently using?

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just curious, have you experienced issues with the setup you are currently using?
None but it’s the classic combination of things that apparently break. Talley rings and a leupold vx3i. It’s nice and light but my confidence in it is low. Seems like different rings and a trijicon accupoint 3-9 would be more reliable? Maybe?

I havnt had issues yet, I dont want to have them when I’m out hunting.

The weight difference between a set of talleys vs a set of Warne bases/NF lows is I believe 2oz. What you gain in bombproof and reliable is worth that in my eyes

I hear you. I was hoping to gain a bit of reliability without giving up too much weight. Have you had or heard of the DNZ rings having any issues? If a rail and rings is the play in the end then fine but it’s a sub 5lb rifle and a 13oz scope so it would be nice to not have half a pound in scope mounting stuff.
I have had a couple sets of DNZ over the years, the first set I bought is still in use and going strong, and they are over 15yrs old I believe

I think they are a good option for your needs, I have had no issues with the ones I’ve had, and they are certainly more robust than Talley

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks, I ordered some DNZ as well as some warne bases. I’ll see which one gives me better ring spacing with the 3-9 accupoint.

Appreciate the feedback!