Lightweight tripod set-up for shooting

Fire_9

WKR
What's the leg diameter on this tripod? Saw sizes on their other models but not the Jr.

It does NOT come with a leveling base, correct?

I’m not sure on the leg diameters. It does not come with a leveling base but it comes with a center column that extends up from the apex. I haven’t found a need for it though

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are there any retailers in OR? I’d like to look at the sentinel tripod....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Couple options Carrot Farmer: G4 archery stocks our gear, but I would call ahead to make sure they have what you're looking for on hand. You are also welcome to stop by my house in Beaverton and I will show you any gear you like. PM me to set up an appointment if you want.

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone shooting off of an Outdoorsmans?

I have been searching all over the place to figure out a setup that isn’t brutal for weight but still stable for standing ish.

I think the closest thing I have found is the ShadowTech C4F PigLite (carbon) but really like the idea of the aluminum for winter pred hunting.

I haven’t had personal experience with carbon fracturing in the cold but have heard it is a potential issue (around -20 to -30C generally for the winter here on the good days).

Thoughts in general?
We have found that you can generally count on the carbon to stand up to extreme cold weather, but the fail point is usually the glue that holds the joints together. When we upgraded form our old Kapita tripod to our newer Sentinel tripod, we had to switch glues and create a whole new leg securing system because of this type of testing. We've got several guides and professional writers in Alaska (like Tyler Freel from Outdoor Life) who been using our carbon tripods and bipods for seasons now, so it's really important to check and see if the product you're looking at has actually been used in these extreme environments like you are hunting. You're doing the right thing by checking these forums for people's experiences

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks! Thunderbird is actually me... I am not a sponsor, yet, so that's all I will say.

I think I can say that also sew the awesome Hunter's Wedge that Broz from Long Range Only sells and the Mini version is Ryan Avery's new favorite bag. There is no doubt the Mini version is the absolute best field bag for prone shooting. And, one of my videos shooting off a tripod you can see I used the full size Hunter's Wedge filled with Git-Lite. I carried it for miles in the miserable Alaska tundra, and it was worth it. The Mini is even better for packing cause it cuts weight but gives amazing support. Go buy one from Broz!
It's been fun to follow the links and learn more about your company. I would highly recommend advertising on this website. Rokslider's are the best!

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here's another option you may not have thought of called the Davros Head. It allows people who have already invested in a tripod or trigger sticks to come up with a light and fast way of swapping between your optics and your rifle. I think it's faster than anything else out there that I've seen, unless you have some other ideas or seen some other cool products?

Davros.jpg

ericwh

WKR
I got the "upgraded" Innorel 80 with flip locks, Sunwayfoto clamp, and a 200mm amazon rail. Pretty pleased with everything. Briefly got into sitting and standing and was impressed with the stability. I mostly wanted it for sitting and I may actually try taking 2 leg sections out to cut weight. Excited to try shooting ASAP. Detailed review of components below:

The 200mm rail fits tikka stock using existing threaded inserts for the optional "varmint" fore-end screw and sling swivel. You need m5x.8 screws, one 20mm long and one 25mm. Was planning on bedding the rail but it seems quite sturdy. This placement leaves enough room to hand carry between the rail and mag. Balance point is near the rear of the rail with suppressor and without ammo. Metal on this seems a little soft.

For my hunting rifles I carry more and shoot in other positions (without the tripod) I think I will add a threaded insert and use a shorter rail at the rear.
20210114_101302.jpg

I am very impressed with this clamp. Big guide features to keep the moving side aligned, adjustable tension/width... You just close it to lock, to unlock you have to use the spring-loaded slide button as you manipulate the lever. Seems like a good thing unless you need to unclip in a hurry.

20210114_101413.jpg

Obligatory full-body shot:
20210114_130833.jpg

I got into standing position and put a little weight on the tripod and the small legs moved. I think I need to adjust the tension on the flip locks, I'm not sure if the difference shown here is due to screw length or a difference in adjustment from the factory. This was not an issue with the bigger legs and I didn't try and adjust the small legs. I don't know if I will use the tripod standing. As said, I mostly wanted it for sitting and I may actually try taking 2 leg sections out to cut weight. Flip locks seem big and sturdy though.

20210114_131504.jpg

Only other negative is the bowl is either tight or loose, saw some discussion about this on snipershide and someone put an o-ring somewhere to achieve more progressive lockup. Going to pursue that.

Flip locks are a bit "snappy" - I can see the twist locks being quieter. And the legs make a whooshing/whistling noise as they move - forcing or drawing air out the top of the tripod somewhere. I assume if I'm using a tripod an animal will be far enough away that this is a non-factor...

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Feisol ct-3342 Carbon Fiber Tripod. It's 2.5lbs and rated to 55lbs. Great for glassing and shooting.

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got the "upgraded" Innorel 80 with flip locks, Sunwayfoto clamp, and a 200mm amazon rail. Pretty pleased with everything. Briefly got into sitting and standing and was impressed with the stability. I mostly wanted it for sitting and I may actually try taking 2 leg sections out to cut weight. Excited to try shooting ASAP. Detailed review of components below:

The 200mm rail fits tikka stock using existing threaded inserts for the optional "varmint" fore-end screw and sling swivel. You need m5x.8 screws, one 20mm long and one 25mm. Was planning on bedding the rail but it seems quite sturdy. This placement leaves enough room to hand carry between the rail and mag. Balance point is near the rear of the rail with suppressor and without ammo. Metal on this seems a little soft.

For my hunting rifles I carry more and shoot in other positions (without the tripod) I think I will add a threaded insert and use a shorter rail at the rear.
View attachment 252744

I am very impressed with this clamp. Big guide features to keep the moving side aligned, adjustable tension/width... You just close it to lock, to unlock you have to use the spring-loaded slide button as you manipulate the lever. Seems like a good thing unless you need to unclip in a hurry.

View attachment 252745

Obligatory full-body shot:
View attachment 252746

I got into standing position and put a little weight on the tripod and the small legs moved. I think I need to adjust the tension on the flip locks, I'm not sure if the difference shown here is due to screw length or a difference in adjustment from the factory. This was not an issue with the bigger legs and I didn't try and adjust the small legs. I don't know if I will use the tripod standing. As said, I mostly wanted it for sitting and I may actually try taking 2 leg sections out to cut weight. Flip locks seem big and sturdy though.

View attachment 252747

Only other negative is the bowl is either tight or loose, saw some discussion about this on snipershide and someone put an o-ring somewhere to achieve more progressive lockup. Going to pursue that.

Flip locks are a bit "snappy" - I can see the twist locks being quieter. And the legs make a whooshing/whistling noise as they move - forcing or drawing air out the top of the tripod somewhere. I assume if I'm using a tripod an animal will be far enough away that this is a non-factor...
Does that tripod mount allow you to easily attach glass to the top?

Flyjunky

WKR
Lots of great info but I think my brain is overloaded with the information in this thread!

I already have a Slik 634 tripod and a Sirui VA5 fluid head for glassing. If I wanted to also use that tripod to shoot from when I can't use my bipod, what would be your suggestion? What other gear do I need?

Should I just dump the fluid head and go a different route that works decent for glassing and shooting?

ericwh

WKR
I got into standing position and put a little weight on the tripod and the small legs moved. I think I need to adjust the tension on the flip locks...
Tension was easy to adjust and is now good to go. I don't think the included tool for this is the right size but it's close enough that it works.

I may actually try taking 2 leg sections out to cut weight.
Tripod, leveling base, and clamp is ~4.6 lbs. Taking out the bottom two leg sections of each leg takes the weight to ~ 3.1 lbs

dwent

FNG
The Anvil 30 seems to be the main choice for most hunters, but I was concerned about the lack of panning function so I went ahead and ordered the BH-40 SC (it’s the BH-40 just with the anvil’s clamp). The ball tension lever on the BH-40 also seems preferable to me over the anvils lever, though I have no hands on experience to compare.

Is there any reason most of you guys are choosing the anvil over the BH-30/40s?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Anvil 30 seems to be the main choice for most hunters, but I was concerned about the lack of panning function so I went ahead and ordered the BH-40 SC (it’s the BH-40 just with the anvil’s clamp). The ball tension lever on the BH-40 also seems preferable to me over the anvils lever, though I have no hands on experience to compare.

Is there any reason most of you guys are choosing the anvil over the BH-30/40s?
The Anvil is the choice for shooting. The lever on the Anvil locks solid and is easy to manipulate without disturbing the rifle. Yes, you lose panning. But, like you drive the glass with the pan head handle, you kinda drive the Anvil with the lever. Because the Anvil is an inverted ballhead, it is easier for me to glass than with a trad ballhead in some ways. I really never used the pan feature of a trad ballhead because I didn't level up the tripod first.

I am going to try adding a pan base to my optics on top of an Anvil, I think that will be an option if I am not carrying gear too far back or too steep. I will be able to pan more easily and won't have to level the tripod, because the pan will be hard connected to the glass.

tdbaugha

FNG
Maybe I missed it, but what does a person need to mount the anvil on a different brand tripod? I’m specifically looking at the innorel 80.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anvil 30 has a tapered base that fits RRS tripods as in the pics.

There is a screw that holds it in place. Guys running the Anvil on other tripods screw it onto them. Best to use blue loctite and watch that it doesn't loosen.

There are some guys machining plates that accept the RRS taper and retrofit other tripods. My Feisol has it, but I picked it up used and don't know. There are some threads on Sniper's Hide with more details and I think contact for the guy making them.

Dschwan

WKR
I use an Outdoorsmans pan head on a Sirui T-024 tri with a 7" rail that I made. I have good stability considering the light weight set up. I don't think I would take a standing shot at any distance

20210215_104251.jpg

tdbaugha

FNG
Found this on snipesrhide

Apparently, you can attach the Series 3 Tripod Anvil-30 Platform to the Leofoto "with 364 legs" because they have a 75mm bowl. This setup gives you the perfect adapter for the Anvil 30.

I did some browsing on Leofoto's site and they offer a ton of different models. Looks like anything with a 3XX nomenclature in the model number will have a 75mm bowl. 362, 363, 364, 365, etc, etc Check out this chart of the LM models

Has anyone done this with the RRS Series 3 adapter plate on a Leofoto tripod?

Does anyone have a recommendation on what Leofoto model to get?

Last edited: