Liner Socks...?

mlgc20

WKR
Many years ago, I used to wear them religiously. They were very useful in helping wick moisture from my feet and reduce friction between my socks and feet. The breathability of boots have improved significantly. And the quality and comfort of merino wool has also improved. Both to the point that I don't find sock liners necessary most of the time. The only time I wear them now is when the temp is really cold or when my boots are likely to be covered in snow and ice and I am going to be doing a lot of hiking. In that scenario, the liner can help ensure that moisture doesn't stay close to my feet.

Overall, I would say that liners almost never hurt. I just don't think they are necessary most of the time. They just become one extra thing to keep track of. But, I still throw them in my gear bag for winter hunts.

Rock-o

WKR
I have some silk liners from REI but I have never worn them. Because I don't have issues.

NoWiser

WKR
I tried liners and didn't like them. They just added another layer to get a crease in them and irritate my foot. They'd also smell so bad after a day that I couldn't keep them in the tent with me. I wear a good pair of Darn Tough or Smartwool socks, and my feet are much happier than with liner socks.

KineKilla

WKR
I like wearing a liner sock especially in cold weather. I had some great merino ones that wore out and I've found that even a pair of dress socks (poly blend) does the trick.

You can get wool or poly blend dress socks from Costco and they work great. I've found that I get less foot irritation when I wear them because the wool or cotton socks aren't rubbing directly on my skin.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
I use Injinji toe sock liners. They work great to keep my toes from rubbing a blister and work well to wick away perspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO, these are in a class by themselves. My Sheep partner got me to try them, and I will not mountain hunt without them. I had used liners on and off before too, but these work so much better. I think because with them between the toes, they stay put better.

I use Fox River liners from Amazon under merino socks. I like them a lot. Have to double check their all the way up with the sock when I tie though, or I do sometimes get the annoying crease.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I wear liners and one day that I didn't, I got hot spots. Kenetrek liners with Darn Tough merino socks is preference.

REI Silk One or Coolmax liners under lightweight wool-blend hiking socks has worked well for me. I take two pairs of each and alternate day-to-day.

Last edited:
Another vote Kenetrek liners. I use them alone in the summer and in conjunction with a wool sock in colder weather.

pirogue

WKR
I use them in colder weather. Buy quality, though, nothing cheap to stretch and make wrinkles.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
I wear synthetic poly-type liners. Think I picked most of mine at a military PX store. I sure amazon has them. Have always done this and it’s what works for me.

Birddog1

FNG
I use Injinji toe sock liners. They work great to keep my toes from rubbing a blister and work well to wick away perspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried these for the first time earlier this week. Initially they felt awkward but I got used to them quickly and they worked well. I also use Cabelas coolmax liner socks

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I wear smart wool liners about 200 days a year combined with Darn Tough Wool socks. The liners don't last very long compared to the outer socks unfortunately.