Lithium deposit found near Gunnison

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
If a mineral deposit were to be discovered near rural Anytown, USA, which would create 200 jobs and support the town over a 30 year mine life, should those resources remain untouched because it was discovered by a Canadian or Australian firm? Should we not allow the value and economic benefit of these local resources be realized by that local community? To that end, what exactly would be the difference if it were operated by an American firm instead? A different set of shareholders turning a profit? Most of whom are a mixture of nationalities anyway? That will make no difference in the value of resource utilization to the local community.

Just a few points to get past your ignorance. Pretty much all exploration companies and small companies are not American because our stock market is not conducive to that kind of investment. The Canadian stock market is largely where all of them had to go a number of decades ago. They may infact be american companies but for that kind of investment the only choice is Canada.

This is not a mining project, this is an exploration project. The drilling will define if a resource exists and could be economic. A few million dollars from now a mine plan may evolve followed by a permitting program. Having worked in Colorado, it may take a few decades before things evolve to that point.

Shallow drill holes indicate they are hoping for an open pit target. It may take a number of drilling programs to get to that point if ever.

Should a mine be permitted, it is likely you will see a substantial increase in mulies, elk or whatever as mines then become sanctuaries with habitat enhancement for those game species. I have seen expansive herds of game on mine reclamation to the point of almost all of the hillsides are covered with game bedded watching the trucks go by while they chewed their cuds. By spring they would migrate out and repopulate their native habitat. I would rather see a mine than a sub-division on land.
I agree. If you look at the photo below from the Berkeley Pit, an open pit copper mine, here in Montana, you can see the mule deer grazing and chewing cud. They’re in the photo, just keep looking.

IMG_9069.jpeg

TaperPin

WKR
Personally, if the thing coming out of the ground has value, it seems simple to say it should benefit American companies. I’ve worked on a couple of homes for Canadian gold mine management, and brother, they must print money in addition to mining gold. If American companies don‘t want to mine it, leave it until they do - the value is there if we take advantage of it, or our great great great grand kids do.

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
I agree. If you look at the photo below from the Berkeley Pit, an open pit copper mine, here in Montana, you can see the mule deer grazing and chewing cud. They’re in the photo, just keep looking.

View attachment 683743
You are correct. And in 2024 this mine design and reclamation plan would never be approved. Things were a little different in 1955.

MTSasquatch: When I headed up the underground development in Butte, we had a substantial herd of mulies that sunned on the mine dumps, grazed in the quakies and lounged around the mine buildings. They were only in danger when they wandered into town.

There were some elk and a collection of moose there with the deer. I had a friend at a nearby mine that said 30 min after the first shot on opening day the haul truck parking lot would fill up with herds of elk.

Wildlife like mines as much as any ranch in eastern Montana.

wytx

WKR
Pretty sure same company found a bug deposit in Wyoming, plans are underway for a mine up here too.

I don't think we should be exploiting anyone. I also don't think we should let other countries exploit our resources. As long as there is money to be made, or power to be had, someone will be getting screwed. It is a shame to me that people don't care what happens to anyone, as long as they get their cheap goods.

Dont exploit anyone, so like how communism on paper? Every business exploits their employees and resources. Thats the whole point…how to get the most out of a resource and turn a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squincher

WKR
That is sad, you should surround yourself with more honest people.

It’s sort of like people who say “buy American” and don’t understand that Chrysler is owned by a European parent and the Toyota Tundra is more American made than a Ford F-150.

Some people even think the U.S. achieved energy independence for a period during 2021.

It isn't the people around me. It's usually some internet "expert."

Countries investing in other countries resources isn’t exploiting them. Albemarle is the largest lithium mining company in the world. It is a US company. It owns mining rights in Chile, Australia, and the US. Albemarle pays major bucks to those countries to mine those deposits. Those countries are exceedingly happy to take that money. No exploitation there. And I guarantee you the US and CO will make tons of cash off the Canadien company if they end up mining those deposits. And if things were to ever deteriorated to a low enough level between the US and Canada, we’d just take over the mine if needed. Same as any other country would do. I would hope a very thorough plan would be developed that allowed the mining and also didn’t interfere with wildlife. Realizing there is no guarantee there and plenty of reason to be suspicious of promises from the companies and politicians involved.

p.s. I do think naming it the Patriot Project is so patronizing it is laughable.

Last edited:
The scariest part of US industry is the EPA has run most of smelting and refining industries out of the US. We can mine some things but China has complete control over the finished products that we have to have to meet many of the targets established by the gov.

I personly feel we should be investing in the US for many of the things that we depend on foreign adversaries. We have technology to do it better so pollution isn't an excuse.

We need less government and more US investment. Living off of foreign slavery is a poor excuse for cheaper productsk

NAFTA says eat cheap veggies, cheap fruit, cheap beef, drive cheap trucks, use cheap data-centers, get cheap steel…

we as Americans are so short sighted. We argue over College debt repayment while actively increasing STEM Opt and H1’s #’s

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
p.s. I do think naming it the Patriot Project is so patronizing it is laughable.
Their prospects in South Dakota and Wyoming are called Liberty and Freedom respectively. I think it’s more of a thematic naming convention and a nod to the idea of breaking away from the actually adversarial countries from which we (and they) currently have to buy this stuff. In the current era of mineral security, I think we can consider ourselves as ‘in it together’ with our closest ally. Which I would imagine plays into their naming convention.

Squincher

WKR
The internet experts who think that everything in life is black and white are the ones to watch out for. There is a lot of grey in the world.

Most of the grey in the world is made up wiggle room used by those trying to justify not doing the right thing.