Lithium deposit found near Gunnison

UncleBone

WKR
It is such a slap in the face to Americans, that a foreign company can stake a claim to our resources on public land. Then they have the balls to call it the "patriot project". Trying to figure out a way to battle this if it goes through. It isn't the mining aspect that bothers me so much, although that is some excellent mule deer habitat (I saw around 200 deer between the bottom of monarch pass and Gunnison on my way home last night) and I would hate to see anything disrupt it. It is the fact that it isn't even an American company. What do you guys think?

Kind of like how American companies stake resource claims in foreign countries for oil and gas?

It's likely not cost effective for a domestic company to mine it. The foreigners too, but if they control the mining lease and don't mine it, that means Americans won't either giving them a larger control over the global market.

Geopolitical ops...

Just a few points to get past your ignorance. Pretty much all exploration companies and small companies are not American because our stock market is not conducive to that kind of investment. The Canadian stock market is largely where all of them had to go a number of decades ago. They may infact be american companies but for that kind of investment the only choice is Canada.

This is not a mining project, this is an exploration project. The drilling will define if a resource exists and could be economic. A few million dollars from now a mine plan may evolve followed by a permitting program. Having worked in Colorado, it may take a few decades before things evolve to that point.

Shallow drill holes indicate they are hoping for an open pit target. It may take a number of drilling programs to get to that point if ever.

Should a mine be permitted, it is likely you will see a substantial increase in mulies, elk or whatever as mines then become sanctuaries with habitat enhancement for those game species. I have seen expansive herds of game on mine reclamation to the point of almost all of the hillsides are covered with game bedded watching the trucks go by while they chewed their cuds. By spring they would migrate out and repopulate their native habitat. I would rather see a mine than a sub-division on land.

The fact that it's a Canadian company doesn't bother me in the slightest. Plenty of American companies produce oil and other natural resources in Canada and elsewhere. I doubt that this foreign company was given any special treatment...they (presumably) had to bid on the mining leases just like a domestic company and will still pay royalties and taxes on the lithium they produce.

Just a few points to get past your ignorance. Pretty much all exploration companies and small companies are not American because our stock market is not conducive to that kind of investment. The Canadian stock market is largely where all of them had to go a number of decades ago. They may infact be american companies but for that kind of investment the only choice is Canada.

This is not a mining project, this is an exploration project. The drilling will define if a resource exists and could be economic. A few million dollars from now a mine plan may evolve followed by a permitting program. Having worked in Colorado, it may take a few decades before things evolve to that point.

Shallow drill holes indicate they are hoping for an open pit target. It may take a number of drilling programs to get to that point if ever.

Should a mine be permitted, it is likely you will see a substantial increase in mulies, elk or whatever as mines then become sanctuaries with habitat enhancement for those game species. I have seen expansive herds of game on mine reclamation to the point of almost all of the hillsides are covered with game bedded watching the trucks go by while they chewed their cuds. By spring they would migrate out and repopulate their native habitat. I would rather see a mine than a sub-division on land.

Yes, especially when leases are federal, then the full gambit of NEPA takes over. The EIS and tribal consultation will be a long endeavor...

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
I would encourage you to research this topic and try to get a better understanding on it before you decide you need to try to ‘battle’ anything.

There is an ongoing battle to approve a rare earth metals (lithium, nickel, cobalt, etc...) mine near the Boundary Waters in Northern Minnesota. It's been stuck for years and will likley continue until a new administration that prioritizes energy security re-evaluates.

I imagine this lease will suffer the same fate.

China is the world leader in production, refinement, and exportation of lithium, nickel, and cobalt. Failing to responsibly develop these resources in the US continues to support and expand our dependency on arguably our biggest global adversary.

Kind of like how American companies stake resource claims in foreign countries for oil and gas?

It's likely not cost effective for a domestic company to mine it. The foreigners too, but if they control the mining lease and don't mine it, that means Americans won't either giving them a larger control over the global market.

Geopolitical ops...

Yea except one benefits us Americans and the other does not…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Yea except one benefits us Americans and the other does not…

That simplistic thinking won’t get you to the right answer, as explained above this subject is far more complex than that.

This will be seen as controversial by the greener leaning folks on here, but IMO, the solution is de-prioritizing EV development and removing the madates established for auto manufacturers to replace x% of their cars with EVs. Then take the money that was being earmarked for these green initiatives and refocus it on coal, oil, and gas production in the US. Re-start strategic pipeline projects and approve existing projects that are in limbo. Maybe even offer smaller oil producers similar subisdies that are offered to farmers and ethanol producers to increase production.

Once we have re-established and guaranteed long term domestic energy production/security, then we can address EV and other green energy initiatives from a position of strength vs. dependency. This would enable us to transition strategically and where it makes sense in a reasonable and responsible timeframe.

You don't see the irony of sending this message on a phone made in China with a lithium (mined probably in China) ion battery in it? :D

Lol. First off it was a joke. Secondly, where the lithium comes from wasn’t even the point of the joke.

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
This is going to go down the road of a debate on the pros and cons on mining and merits of battery based energy systems. The OP was about outrage over the staking of mineral claims by non-US entities. So before all that happens, I will just reiterate one more time, Canadian exploration/mining companies and NOT the enemy.

Reactions: WBT