Livestock water trough

dano626

FNG
I hunt in areas with very little sources of water. Most times I carry 3 liters in a bladder on day hunts. I've recently found a good spot 3.5 miles up the mountain and there happens to be a watering trough that has a steady flow into it. Thinking of getting the Sawyer squeeze and filtering the water from this source. Just looking for a little feedback on the water source itself....would you filter from a livestock water trough? Any tips??

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely. If u saw what I was getting water out of the first week of archery last year you'd know why.

Sraight out of the source,good stuff.Filter and stash around
your hunt area.Gps coordinates,Not near each other.Varmits:mice
squirrell's Etc. will find it.Also hide food stuffs.GORP,Mountain House.
Good Luck!AZ.Proud. :cool:

I have sucked water out of a cow track before.

Treat it like any other source. You should be fine.

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
I do this exact thing all the time. Sometimes you'll find a drain hose that makes filling squeeze pouches a breeze.

It wasn’t a print. More the muddy rut they leave in a dry creek bed when a few of them move through. I presume the water was 10-15% turd juice but I didn’t care.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Live in Colorado and have had giardia twice from water while backpacking. Both times hit me when I got home. Once from untreated water (my bad) and the other from water treated with Aquamira drops. Not bashing the drops as I believe I got it from the untreated water left on the bottle thread. Spent five months as a teen (over two summers) backpacking the AT and never got sick.

The first time I got sick, I was almost hospitalized. If I was in the backcountry when it hit me I couldn't of crawled out.

Saying all this to say giardia no case of the boo-boo tummy, it is no joke. Tread lightly, and make dang sure your water is 100% clean.

I guess I would if I had to. Have heard of folks doing it, but I don't think it would be pleasurable.

Unclemoe

FNG
Live in Colorado and have had giardia twice from water while backpacking. Both times hit me when I got home. Once from untreated water (my bad) and the other from water treated with Aquamira drops. Not bashing the drops as I believe I got it from the untreated water left on the bottle thread. Spent five months as a teen (over two summers) backpacking the AT and never got sick.

The first time I got sick, I was almost hospitalized. If I was in the backcountry when it hit me I couldn't of crawled out.

Saying all this to say giardia no case of the boo-boo tummy, it is no joke. Tread lightly, and make dang sure your water is 100% clean.
After you filled the bottled and mixed the drops did you turn ur bottle upsidedown and unscree the top a little to put treated water on the screws?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Filter away! I've filtered from a muddy hoofprint in the ground and lived to tell the tale :)