Load development technique

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I’m just getting into reloading, I have a 280 ai that I’d like to do some load development for, my question is where is the best place to start, do you start by trying different bullets, and then once you find which one the gun shoots well start testing different powder weights? This is 90% long range hunting rifle no competition shooting or anything like that, if that’s the case do you just pick the bullet that best fits the game your targeting and as long as they don’t shoot like crap go straight to load testing?

Another 280 ai specific question, I did pick up some 280 Remington ammo since 280 ai is hard to find at the moment. Is fire formed brass less ideal or is it a non factor?

I am in the process of development for my new 300 PRC. Here’s what I did. Ended up burning a lot of rounds though.

First I tried some 200gr ELD-X hoping to get them to work. Started with some ladder tests to find a speed node then from there played with seating depth to time the group. No luck. Went thorough 100 rounds. A buddy had some Berger 205 that I tried. With those I basically combined a ladder test and the OCW method and found a powder charge and now am into seating depth testing and am having great results so far. Almost have a load worked up in less then half the rounds as the ELD-X. Basically feel like I wasted a hundred rounds of components trying the ELD-X bullets.

I will use the method I used with the bergers again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
To find seating depth I like to run 2 shots ea per each length and shoot them both in a group that generally tells me everything I need to know about seating depth and doesn't use as many components. I used to start at jam and work my way back .010 at a time but recently watched a Cortina video suggesting .006 at a time. I tried it and I it works well. So it starts at jam, .006 off, .012, .018, .024, .030, and so on.

I also like to shoot 2 ladders half grain increments, the node will usually expose itself with 2 better than just 1. I'd love to test a ladder at distance but the only places I have around here involve canyons and too many environmental factors. In all honesty though if your gun doesn't like the combo you are using it will become prevalent in that first ladder so you're not wasting any more powder.

nagibson1

FNG
To find seating depth I like to run 2 shots ea per each length and shoot them both in a group that generally tells me everything I need to know about seating depth and doesn't use as many components. I used to start at jam and work my way back .010 at a time but recently watched a Cortina video suggesting .006 at a time. I tried it and I it works well. So it starts at jam, .006 off, .012, .018, .024, .030, and so on.

I also like to shoot 2 ladders half grain increments, the node will usually expose itself with 2 better than just 1. I'd love to test a ladder at distance but the only places I have around here involve canyons and too many environmental factors. In all honesty though if your gun doesn't like the combo you are using it will become prevalent in that first ladder so you're not wasting any more powder.
So you shoot a ladder towards max with 2 rounds instead of one at each increment? So you are looking for grouping and not just chrono efficiency- that each increment is getting you 30-50fps?
I thought the ladder was just for burn efficiency, to see where you aren't getting an efficient combustion jump still short of over pressure. That is, to determine your max velocity from efficient combustion. And then, you were supposed to close the group by tuning the harmonics by decreasing the COL form jam down .006-.010 to see what seating depth hit the harmonics of the barrel right.

But when I was in the south, my teachers said "some barrels just like some bullets". That doesn't really fit that system. I know that bullet choice is relative to barrel twist, but it's still a range. Being recoil sensitive, I don't always shoot the highest BC bullet I can. Esp since my deer loads don't shoot past 350yds.
But I have also gotten different results with different powders. Significant differences. But With 5 bullets and 4 powders, load workups seem fairly random.

Somehow there has to be an efficient way to merge picking a bullet and powder, laddering combustion efficiency, and getting harmonics right.

I assume that for bullet weight/contour laddering should be fairly consistent between bullets. So if I'm shooting 165gr bt .308 bullets, combustion should be close at same seating depths. But as someone without unlimited funds, I would like to have a systematic and efficient system to get a great hunting load for each barrel. Any suggestions?

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Do a combustion ladder for bullets of same weights and shape to find the neighborhood of top good combustion relative to tolerable recoil. Do this with a couple powders.
2. Shoot a few different bullets at 3-4 load levels in that neighborhood. 3-4 shot groups. (I'm not perfect at the bench)
3. Work promising bullets in best loads in 2-3 round seating depths seating back from the max length you were shooting from.
4. choose the longest COL that groups tight, and load it for practice.
5. Harvest animals

Last edited:
Here's the easy button for load development.

This podcast is also worth a listen

Ladders and nodes tend to disappear once you shoot enough rounds at each step, so in reality tuning with them is just tuning to the random noise.