Long range calculations not accurate past 1,000 yards

Zach28

FNG
Hi guys, so I need some help understanding this problem! I am shooting a 28 nosler with custom handloads that are super precise. I use applied ballistics app, and it is accurate up to 1000 yards. But once I go past 1000 yards I’m up to two minutes off at 1200 yards. I don’t understand this. The only way to get it to read correctly is to drop the velocity 105 ft./s but I should have seen that 105 feet at 1000 yards. What are your thoughts on this?

def90

WKR
Didn’t we just have a ballistic apps and why they are inconsistent thread a week or so ago?

Hi guys, so I need some help understanding this problem! I am shooting a 28 nosler with custom handloads that are super precise. I use applied ballistics app, and it is accurate up to 1000 yards. But once I go past 1000 yards I’m up to two minutes off at 1200 yards. I don’t understand this. The only way to get it to read correctly is to drop the velocity 105 ft./s but I should have seen that 105 feet at 1000 yards. What are your thoughts on this?
Without seeing your complete profile and set up within A.B. and knowing you have a solid 100 yard zero we could be chasing our tails a bit.

1. Make sure all data in is as solid as it can be, sometimes you go through a profile 2x before you see something.
2. If you have the option for your bullet in the app use the custom curve, these are cuves that have b.c.'s I belive Litz has tastes and ran.
3. You might do some searching and see what b.c. guys are using for your same bullet, some companies fudge their b.c. some change very little portions of the bullet and it creates a b.c. not same as the published #
4. A good average velocity should get you very close, but you will want to tweak your speed a little before really messing with b.c. after you have inputted the best b.c. #'s you can find.

Something I did years ago was doubled my angle of shot. Range finder compensated(thought I had that turned off) and was putting in degree of angle in shot, obviously all over, but took a bit to figure out.
Check the basis and see if there is a change.

eric1115

WKR
What bullet are you shooting? What ballistics program are you using?

Some bullets seem to have BCs that change pretty substantially through different velocity ranges, and if you are using a single BC value that may account for some of it. It seems to be that custom drag profiles (Hornady 4dof, applied ballistics CDM's) yield better results way out there than calculators using a single BC value for the entire flight path of the bullet.

What is your zeroing process? When you say it works out to a thousand, what do you mean by that? Is that reliable hits on an IPSC? Is it shooting groups at 1k and measuring center vs POA?

def90

WKR
More info from the other thread.