Long range shooting challenge from Backfire

Mike 338

WKR
I almost never watch Backfire but somehow I got through this one. Backfire dude asks, "what qualifies you?" He rattles off all this gibberish and throws in his "Marine" ace in the hole. This video should be a must-watch for anyone in charge of interviews and hiring.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Good point. I’ve been squadded with former/current LEO/Mil snipers at a few PR comps. There have been a few who’re very good shots under pressure. But most don’t finish very high in the standings.

I watched a cop at the range attempt to check the bore of his new lever action by trying to bend a cleaning rod through the ejection port.

Worst part is it was my coated stainless cleaning rod he borrowed. Since I like my stuff not broken I walked over and suggested he push it down the muzzle then took it back as soon as he finished before he tried to do something stupid like shoot with it still in the muzzle.

TaperPin

WKR
Curiosity does weird things to people - I actually watched it till the end.

I cringed hearing the story of the friend shooting off his back - and cringed watching him try it and mis on the 2 MOA target. Lol Shooting over brush is a fact of life antelope hunting - a tall bipod that can be used sitting, or shooting sticks takes care of most of that. I’m slowly warming up to the tripod idea, but tall bipods have been common antelope hunting since the 1970s.

That one jug that had to be ranged through the brush was a good test to see if the guy knew where the rangefinder beam hits in relation to the aiming point.

The wind must have been faster than we can see from our couches based on some of his misses - past 400 yards a gusty 5-15 mph wind would be hard to get right every time with 1-3 MOA wind holds on a target 1 to 1-1/2 MOA wide.

It seemed a few times the rifle went off prematurely as the rifle was barely on target - like he couldn’t feel the trigger very well and wasn’t trying hard to compensate. That, the scope cut, poor judgement on the over the back shot, and some other odd comments and exaggerated behavior made me think he was high. That dude may be like that naturally, like a medical thing, but I think there’s more to the story. I run off guys every year that show up to work on oxy or an oxy combination and they think nobody can tell. Vets get treated poorly at the VA - hopefully he’s doing well.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
The unfortunate thing is there’s probably a fair number of shooter’s especially those relatively new or the many that just don’t know what they don’t know that take Backfire as gospel. “Gotta have that ‘knock-down’ power!” 🤨

You’re literally describing me. 2 years ago I watched everything he made. Plan was to get a Browning x-bolt in 7 Mag and put and Leupold on it. In preparation for that purchase I started researching the Leupold scopes and found my way to the drop evaluations here on Rokslide. Fast-forward through a lot more reading and making some good friends with more experience, I now own 3 Tikkas in .223 and 6.5CM that all wear SWFA or the new Maven. This website and the people who support it have been a Godsend for new shooters like me!

Looks like Erik Cortina is going to step up and give it a try. The man has some pretty sweet rifles to choose from.

That could be a pretty fun thing to watch when it happens. I realize he's just showing off his rifles and getting a video made for views so it's not that serious but I don't get why he thinks he needs to go with a lighter weight option. He asked Backfire and was told it would be a rifle you would take on an antelope hunt, which is one of the least physically demanding ones as far as I know. I'll be hunting antelope this fall and my rifle will either be my 15# trued R700 in an X-ray or a heavy ass 19# Lone Peak in a Foundation, both with Razor Gen 3's. Would be more of a choice if Backfire had said it should be a rifle you'd take for elk.

OP
gerry35

gerry35

WKR
Hope he uses that Aero precision rifle he brought out at the end. Seems like a really nice gun.

I like watching Erik, F Class John and now the Little Crow Gunworks videos. Learn lots about reloading and shooting from guys like these.

Beendare

WKR
Erik jumping in to the challenge will make this interesting. These guys need content, so there is that…but it will be interesting to see how he approaches it. I like that he is trying to keep it to a hunting weight rifle and not some19# thing.

600y multiple shots on target…how many guys can actually do it? I’m an archery guy- I have no idea.

Years ago I shot next to a guy here that has won the national 1,000y rifle championships multiple times-said he goes by Switchbarrel on the shooting forums, I bet he could do it.

wabash503

FNG
lol just seeing the vortex scope was enough to know he wasn't going to do it
I shoot a venom out to 1000y regularly...and it's a better scope than I am a shooter. It used to be you needed to spend $$$ to find good glass, but that stopped being true over ten years ago. Noe you can get a decent Arken or Vortex for under $500.

wabash503

FNG
The entire premise of the test was flawed when he limited the shooters to range-finding a milk jug. As if hunters are only allowed to range on the vitals and not the rest of the animal. Rookie stuff.