Looking for a Hunting Partner for Newfoundland Moose

Looking for a Hunting Partner for Newfoundland Moose hunt. Will be a rifle hunt in the 2020 or 2021 season. I have been there twice solo for moose and have been successful. I'm currently looking at different outfitters, and would consider both drive in or fly in. I live in upstate western NY area, with Buffalo the nearest large city. I would only consider driving verses flying, due to the shipping cost of meat and antlers. If you have always considered going, but have been putting it off, send me a message or post and discuss the hunt.

bartman9

FNG
In 2020 I am doing a late season hunt with Parson's Pond Outfitters (Oct 30th - Nov 7th) . They reserve a mountainside area for this that they don't touch all season. It is supposed to be a tough hunt, but it is a good chance of getting a 40"+ bull. Talked with several references and they all did very well on this hunt. From everything I have heard, the owner (Roger) is a real stand up guy. If you are interested in going during this timeframe (even with another outfitter), we can carpool. I am just outside of Rochester, NY.

Tjwjr89

FNG
Hope you get someone to go with you. I am going for my first time this year. I was all lined up to drive until yesterday. After calculating everything it literally is only gonna cost me $50 more to fly and ship the meat and antlers back than it was going to to be for me to drive.

bartman9

FNG
Hope you get someone to go with you. I am going for my first time this year. I was all lined up to drive until yesterday. After calculating everything it literally is only gonna cost me $50 more to fly and ship the meat and antlers back than it was going to to be for me to drive.
Hmm... where were you driving from?

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I'm driving from Western North Carolina to New Foundland, and expecting it to be at least $500 cheaper (probably closer to $700 - $800) to drive instead of flying and shipping meat back. It also allows me the option to leave camp early if I tag out before the hunt is scheduled to end.

Tjwjr89

FNG
I should've added some context to my post for the op. I originally priced flights out of Buffalo NY and at $900 i decided to drive. My wife just happened to check flights out of Toronto which us only another hour drive than Buffalo and non stop flights there were $400.

I am only gonna give my $.02 based upon my experience last year. I flew, but I am wishing now that I had drove. I was lucky enough to harvest a moose on the 2nd day and on the morning of the 3rd day the camp was shut down and I was flown out. I had no options once I was out of the bush. I was stuck for 4 days and no way to travel around. I wound up re-booking my flight which cost me $600 and I was home 4 days earlier. I was really wishing that I had the luxury of my own vehicle at that time so that I could explore the island and see some great stuff on the way home. Only thing I got our of the deal was a larger credit card bill and a night in town. If I had things to keep me busy at their lodge I would have stayed, but there was nothing for me to do. That is the only downside to flying. Regardless, you will have a fun time and the adventure is priceless!!

Matdik

FNG
I have been seriously considering a Newfoundland moose hunt. I actually just emailed parsons pond earlier today after hearing about them on a podcast. I live in Delaware and would drive and be happy to carpool. I’m actually sitting in the dealership now having a cap put on my 2500 for hunting purposes. I had figured on a rut hunt but I’m not apposed to a late season hunt either. Is there opportunities for additional hunters during the same time you are going? If interested, maybe you pm me some details.

Matt

Trial153

WKR
I have driven everytime from the capital region. It's a pretty straight forward trip. 16 hours to ferry and few hours after crossing. I get a good nights sleep on the ferry and its good start to the hunt. The only reason I bowhunt NF is for meat at this point, so getting it all back is worth the extra days traveling. Otherwise I might as well hunt bigger moose in western Ca or Alaska.

Trial153

WKR
You will need two 100 ish quart coolers for moose. I never brought a Cape home or thought of mounting a Canada moose. But if you did you need another 50 quart cooler as well .
If that fits in a suburban then your good to go. You can add a hitch rack for more space and still make the ferry lenght.

We have taken two moose back with no issues with one truck.

Last edited:

tntrker

WKR
I'll be out there in 2021 Oct 3rd -10th. I was going to drive but from SC that's an extra 6-8 days of travel round trip.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be out there in 2021 Oct 3rd -10th. I was going to drive but from SC that's an extra 6-8 days of travel round trip.

Where do you get 6-8 days of travel? I'm driving from Boone, NC (I'm originally from Spartanburg, SC) and it's 25 hours to the ferry terminal. I'll split it up between two days there, and two days back, maybe another half day on the way home since I'll be taking my time. I'm seeing roughly 70 hours of travel (ferry ride included), I'll split it up between 4 - 4.5 days. Most of the travel is on the weekend as well.

I'm hunting 10/6 - 10/11. I'll start driving on the 4th, get to Ferry the afternoon of the 5th, sleep on ferry, drive into camp on 6th. Best part about driving is that I can leave early if I tag out before the last day. I'll also save a good bit of money by not having to fly meat home (if I kill). I went a couple of years ago and flew, would have much rather had my own vehicle while I was there.

I'm rolling solo.

mooster

WKR
Where do you get 6-8 days of travel? I'm driving from Boone, NC (I'm originally from Spartanburg, SC) and it's 25 hours to the ferry terminal. I'll split it up between two days there, and two days back, maybe another half day on the way home since I'll be taking my time. I'm seeing roughly 70 hours of travel (ferry ride included), I'll split it up between 4 - 4.5 days. Most of the travel is on the weekend as well.

I'm hunting 10/6 - 10/11. I'll start driving on the 4th, get to Ferry the afternoon of the 5th, sleep on ferry, drive into camp on 6th. Best part about driving is that I can leave early if I tag out before the last day. I'll also save a good bit of money by not having to fly meat home (if I kill). I went a couple of years ago and flew, would have much rather had my own vehicle while I was there.

I'm rolling solo.
And you could do some caribou watching if you wanted to make a small side trip to Burgeo. They were literally all over the road. If not, wait a couple mins.