Looking for a pack

Could use some input from some people with a lot more experience than me. Pretty new to the ball game. Strictly on the bow side of things. Not a rifle guy anymore. Trying to decide on a good pack mostly for South Dakota trips. 3 Day probably at the most. Eventually would like to get into some elk but want to gather some experience first. I kind of like the Mystery Ranch or Kuiu. Drop some knowledge on me please..

If you want to "buy once, cry once," get a Kifaru, Exo, or Stone Glacier frame and pair it with whatever size bag best fits your needs. The bags are interchangeable, so you could upsize down the road if needed. IMO, Mystery Ranch and Kuiu packs are a slight step down in terms of quality and durability compared to the 3 aforementioned brands, but they're still good options.

Pack fit is the most important thing to get right. Some makes/models will likely fit your body better than others. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find places to physically try on these high end packs before you buy.

i'm not going to try to talk you into or out of any pack, just adding a little context...

if you buy a stone glacier, kifaru, or exo in your size, you can try it and see if it works well for you... if not, you can resell it for a small loss, and try another.... if you buy a different brand pack, you will take a bigger hit on resale.

i'm not going to recommend any specific pack, i have pretty much used all of the normal high end packs besides SG (i don't want a 26" frame, so i will likely not try them) they all fit a little different and perform a little different on my back.... my favorite and best fitting pack may be the worst for you, kind of like boots.... what works for me may not for you.

my least favorite pack i have owned was my kuiu, but they have improved since i owned one, but load handling aside, i tore it up pretty bad in a season of use, and ate load lifter straps like crazy.... it's the only pack i owned that had durability issues. some people love them and have no problems with their durability. before i sold mine i got the newer belt and suspension, and it was more comfortable, but it still wasn't for me for several reasons.

MR are super tough packs, and love my pop up for it's niche, but didn't care for the guide lite frame (didn't have the MT version) i think that was a "me" thing, and not the frame.... if they fit you well and handle weight well for you, they are a solid option.

the last few years i have hunted with and hauled heavy loads of meat with HH full curl (pretty good budget pack, just heavy and clunky) MR guide lite and pop up, kuiu, exo k1 and k2 (love exo packs) seek outside, which are awesome lightweight packs, just don't fit my body great, and just got a kifaru.... don't have enough time under it to say much besides it has high potential for being a great pack for me.

there are lots of great options these days. if the seek outside fit me good, it would probably be my #1, so lightweight, adjustable, and just nice packs.... i am one of the few i have ever heard of who didn't like their fit, most love how they haul weight, and their prices are pretty dang good considering the platform.

weigh all of your options, know the first pack you buy may not be the one that fits you best or works for you best, know that pack fit is personal, so no matter how awesome someone says "..... pack" is, it may not be for you.

buying used is another option.... buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, sell it for the same price and try again. don't compromise on a poor fitting pack, you will be wearing it a lot, and if you find the right one, it's a long time purchase.... good packs last.

i'm not going to try to talk you into or out of any pack, just adding a little context...

if you buy a stone glacier, kifaru, or exo in your size, you can try it and see if it works well for you... if not, you can resell it for a small loss, and try another.... if you buy a different brand pack, you will take a bigger hit on resale.

i'm not going to recommend any specific pack, i have pretty much used all of the normal high end packs besides SG (i don't want a 26" frame, so i will likely not try them) they all fit a little different and perform a little different on my back.... my favorite and best fitting pack may be the worst for you, kind of like boots.... what works for me may not for you.

my least favorite pack i have owned was my kuiu, but they have improved since i owned one, but load handling aside, i tore it up pretty bad in a season of use, and ate load lifter straps like crazy.... it's the only pack i owned that had durability issues. some people love them and have no problems with their durability. before i sold mine i got the newer belt and suspension, and it was more comfortable, but it still wasn't for me for several reasons.

MR are super tough packs, and love my pop up for it's niche, but didn't care for the guide lite frame (didn't have the MT version) i think that was a "me" thing, and not the frame.... if they fit you well and handle weight well for you, they are a solid option.

the last few years i have hunted with and hauled heavy loads of meat with HH full curl (pretty good budget pack, just heavy and clunky) MR guide lite and pop up, kuiu, exo k1 and k2 (love exo packs) seek outside, which are awesome lightweight packs, just don't fit my body great, and just got a kifaru.... don't have enough time under it to say much besides it has high potential for being a great pack for me.

there are lots of great options these days. if the seek outside fit me good, it would probably be my #1, so lightweight, adjustable, and just nice packs.... i am one of the few i have ever heard of who didn't like their fit, most love how they haul weight, and their prices are pretty dang good considering the platform.

weigh all of your options, know the first pack you buy may not be the one that fits you best or works for you best, know that pack fit is personal, so no matter how awesome someone says "..... pack" is, it may not be for you.

buying used is another option.... buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, sell it for the same price and try again. don't compromise on a poor fitting pack, you will be wearing it a lot, and if you find the right one, it's a long time purchase.... good packs last.
Bummer the seek didn't work out for ya, hope the kifaru does. I just got a custom seek outside breakaway gila with some talons and so far it's WAYYY better than my kuiu in every way, in my opinion. Done 2 rucks with 75lbs so far so i cant speak to durability yet but its much more configurable and comfortable for me. When i was looking to replace my kuiu it was between seek and kifaru for me. I really like both companies and they're 100% made in America which is a factor for me, might not be for others. Went with seek due to weight savings and more options for waterproof bags when compared to kifaru. Gonna be nice to not need a rain cover.

For some reason i really didn't do much research before buying the kuiu and had no idea about any of the pack brands so either way id say you're way ahead by the simple fact that you're asking advice and researching. Good luck, seems like pack fit can be as individual as boots for a lot of people. I ended up with custom boots(russel moccasins) and a custom pack, go figure lol

Bummer the seek didn't work out for ya, hope the kifaru does. I just got a custom seek outside breakaway gila with some talons and so far it's WAYYY better than my kuiu in every way, in my opinion. Done 2 rucks with 75lbs so far so i cant speak to durability yet but its much more configurable and comfortable for me. When i was looking to replace my kuiu it was between seek and kifaru for me. I really like both companies and they're 100% made in America which is a factor for me, might not be for others. Went with seek due to weight savings and more options for waterproof bags when compared to kifaru. Gonna be nice to not need a rain cover.

For some reason i really didn't do much research before buying the kuiu and had no idea about any of the pack brands so either way id say you're way ahead by the simple fact that you're asking advice and researching. Good luck, seems like pack fit can be as individual as boots for a lot of people. I ended up with custom boots(russel moccasins) and a custom pack, go figure lol
almost everyone i have heard of who has tried a SO likes it and tout how well they haul heavy loads, i just couldn't get mine riding well... i was literally adjusting it every day trying to get it dialed in, i just couldn't. in the next couple years i plan on hunting that state and will make stopping by their shop a part of that trip to see if they can get it comfortable for me.... i still want a SO pack, i liked everything about it besides how it rode on me with a heavy load no matter what i did.

i have not given up on them, i have faith that i'm an idiot and missed something, but i sure tried a lot of adjustments... we'll see