Looking for day pack suggestions for my 72 year old dad

skunk

FNG
My dad is 72 and still hunts. I want to get him a nice day pack but he would appreciate something simple. He wouldn't need a load shelf or spend the time figuring out how to use one anyway...

I was thinking of getting him a Stone Glacier Avail but I fear it would be overkill.

Anyone have suggestions for another good quality (preferably USA made) pack that is comfortable, light, and utilitarian (aka simple)?

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of my Kifaru 14'r for day use, traveling, and even the occasional quick overnight with some spotting scope side pockets.

Good on him. Hope I am still getting after it at that age.

Of course kifaru has some awesome options like the antero and a few others. uS made but they are $$$ and may have features that aren’t needed or desired.

I just don’t think you get the bang for your buck paying +$200 for a daypack like you do with bigger packs and frames, with the possible exception of a pack like the pop up series from MR. but, they are more of a hybrid hauling frame and not what you want.

A couple of off the run suggestions:

My favorite US made small daypack is from a tactical company called tactical tailor. It is about 20 liters so I find it good for warm and mideseason hunts. I want a bigger pack for hauling layers later in the year.

Fight Light Removable Operator Pack

I also would recommend a mystery ranch pack from their hiking line. They have some solid options The front or the screen are cheaper than their hunting packs and will hold up for years of good hard use.

Heck, I bet you could make him pretty happy with a trip to an REI store as long as he doesn’t want camo.

kjigou

FNG
I really really really like the Sitka Apex pack as a day pack. Maybe it's just how it fits on me, but super comfy and fits tight to the body. With coupons on sites like Black Ovis it can bed had for less than $180 USD. That is probably my first choice if I'm not going to get into the Stone Glacier or EXO price levels.

K9Kelly

WKR
Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

Or:

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

FWIW I have a tarahumara and love it. For what you described these would fit your requirements to a tee

I concur, the HPG Umlindi is worth a look. HPG shoulder harness system is super comfortable. Fairly simple top loading pack compresses down or can expand with a back pocket/ compression panel. Belt capable also. A little pricey maybe, but premium quality, made in the USA.

iahunter08

Lil-Rokslider
If you decide on an avail let me know im selling mine just didnt work for my needs. Comfortable as can be just not quiet enough for my late season tree stand needs.