Looking for good cartridge and budget rifle for 14 y/o

KenLee

WKR
223 black rain AR is my other rifle. My buddy who gave me the /06 has a 300WM and duck hunting buddy of mine has a 243 savage axis his kid used which maybe i could try to let them get him to shoot there guns.
Call me anal, but I'm scared to turn an inexperienced kid loose with a semi-auto. I'd make him run it as a single shot for awhile IF you have him use the AR 223.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Ruger American's are about the ball park you are looking for and seem to shoot very well. A friend has one in the 6.5 ManBun (Creedmoor) that shoots very well and doesn't kick bad at all.

The 6mm Remington is a great cartridge but you will most likely have to reload for it. Great cartridge for deer and antelope. Will kill an elk handily enough also. Both my son and I have taken elk with the 6mm Remington. Shoots very accurately, flat shooting, and doesn't recoil much. Have to look for a used rifle in it also bit that's not a bad thing.

The Ruger American in a 7mm-08 or 243 Winchester would be a good choice also.

I started hunting big-game at 12 with a Remington Model 600 Centennial Model in 6mm Remington. It belongs to my son and he killed his first antelope with that rifle. Still shoots very well. He also has a Ruger MKII in 6mm Remington. He's taken several deer and antelope, and one large cow elk with that rifle.
I am trying to stay away from the 6.5 gaymoor honestly.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Call me anal, but I'm scared to turn an inexperienced kid loose with a semi-auto. I'd make him run it as a single shot for awhile IF you have him use the AR 223
Agree. Will be a one in the mag at a time thing.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I love the 7-08 idea. More umph than the 243, lower recoil than 308, 270, 0r 6.5prc, and it's not a gaymoor haha.

“Umph” isn’t a wounding mechanism and only exists in your imagination. Animals die by destroyed tissue, and bullets destroy tissue by penetrating, tearing, crushing, stretching, and bruising. None of that has anything to do with “umph”.

You would be light years ahead of you slow down, read the thread below for how and why bullets kill, and then start asking questions.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/

That’s isn’t for you to choose a 223, it’s because there is more legit information in that single thread on how animals die, how bullets kill, and why just about everything that is “common knowledge” is factually wrong.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

“Umph” isn’t a wounding mechanism and only exists in your imagination. Animals die by destroyed tissue, and bullets destroy tissue by penetrating, tearing, crushing, stretching, and bruising. None of that has anything to do with “umph”.

You would be light years ahead of you slow down, read the thread below for how and why bullets kill, and then start asking questions.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/

That’s isn’t for you to choose a 223, it’s because there is more legit information in that single thread on how animals die, how bullets kill, and why just about everything that is “common knowledge” is factually wrong.
I mean umph like KE umph. KE is what breaks ribs and penetrates animals hide. I bow hunt my fair share and know that KE energy is real and not “in my imagination”. End of the day I’m trying to get my kid a rifle and expand his hunting opportunities.

eric1115

WKR
Why a 6.5 creed over 7-08 is my question
Recoil, though it's not a big enough step in my opinion. Go smaller. He'll learn to shoot better faster and enjoy it more with something under 10 ft-lb of recoil vs the 14-16 ft-lb of a 120-140 grain bullet at 2700+ fps. There's not a game animal in the lower 48 that you need bigger than a 6CM with a 108 ELDM (and I'd prefer to go with a 6mmARC, it carries the needed velocity for upset to 600 yards at my elevation and will break any elk rib in existence way way past that).

I would like something maybe bigger than 243 though because you never know when that long shot comes up and you need some KE. What about 308, 270, or 6.5 prc?
I switched to a 270 Win when I was 15. It is still one of my favorites. It is less popular today but still a great option.

Since you don’t reload , check out what ammo is available and see if that looks like what you’re after.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Recoil, though it's not a big enough step in my opinion. Go smaller. He'll learn to shoot better faster and enjoy it more with something under 10 ft-lb of recoil vs the 14-16 ft-lb of a 120-140 grain bullet at 2700+ fps. There's not a game animal in the lower 48 that you need bigger than a 6CM with a 108 ELDM (and I'd prefer to go with a 6mmARC, it carries the needed velocity for upset to 600 yards at my elevation and will break any elk rib in existence way way past that).
Is 6.5 creed under 10? I’ve seen 6.5 cm at 13 foot pounds of recoil and 7-08 at like 15. Now ammo availability is another thing that’s important.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

The only hunter I know who shoots a 6.5 creedmoore voted for the old guy so I mean ther is that

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Your store doesn’t carry any 6.5cm ammo?
Because every man and his mom, wife, son, daughter, labrabador, house cat, and horse has a 6.5 creedmoor where i live, i don't see it usually on the shelves.