Looking for input on ELD-X bullet performance (w/ field pics)

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_9998.jpeg
That was the entrance wound at 60yards or so with a 212gr ELD-X from a .300 PRC. So far I have yet to recover an intact ELD-X on a moose from a PRC or a 6.5 Creedmoor. All of them had the core separate from the jacket. The separation appears to be happening on the opposite shoulder/ribs after passing through the vitals. It liquefies lungs that’s for sure.

WyoKimber

FNG
I’ve killed 1 bull and 1 buck with 145gr eldx’s out of a .270 win. The bull was a one shot double lung kill at a little over 280yds. Bullet was intact underneath the opposite hide and the bull made it less than 20 yards. The buck was a double lung shot with pass through and made it less than 10 feet before expiring. This year I changed to 162gr eldx’s out of a 7mm Rem mag. and killed a bull at a little over 300 yards with a double lung shot and full pass through and ran maybe 50 yards. For a double lung shot, i really like the eldx’s, but if I preferred a high shoulder shot, I’d probably look into something that stays together better.

Tmac

WKR
I’m not criticizing the performance I just don’t know enough to know whether this is optimal which is why I’m asking.

I would’ve expected an exit honestly, but at 500 yds, perhaps it’s not realistic. And I assume this is better than a bullet fragmenting?
It sounds like it worked as designed. Optimal bullet performance is subject to personal preference. No pat answer.

The faster opening/fragmenting bullets tend to incapacitate quicker and can damage more meat. The slower opening bullets tend to penetrate further, kill a little slower and damage less meat. Placed properly and used within their designed velocity window, all work well, and kill quickly.

As an example, I hunt cow elk for meat in moderate terrain quite a bit. I use mono’s, kills em dead fast enough and very little meat loss due to blood shot meat or bullet fragments. Not too worried about one dashing 30-40 yards.

For a bull hunt next week I set my brother up with a much faster opening bullet that has adequate weight to penetrate enough. Much more difficult terrain and we’ll happily trade a little meat loss for better odds of a bang flop. An extra 30-40 yards there could mean a roll of several hundred feet down in very steep terrain.

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
It sounds like it worked as designed. Optimal bullet performance is subject to personal preference. No pat answer.

The faster opening/fragmenting bullets tend to incapacitate quicker and can damage more meat. The slower opening bullets tend to penetrate further, kill a little slower and damage less meat. Placed properly and used within their designed velocity window, all work well, and kill quickly.

As an example, I hunt cow elk for meat in moderate terrain quite a bit. I use mono’s, kills em dead fast enough and very little meat loss due to blood shot meat or bullet fragments. Not too worried about one dashing 30-40 yards.

For a bull hunt next week I set my brother up with a much faster opening bullet that has adequate weight to penetrate enough. Much more difficult terrain and we’ll happily trade a little meat loss for better odds of a bang flop. An extra 30-40 yards there could mean a roll of several hundred feet down in very steep terrain.
Good info, I appreciate it-what are some examples of faster and slower opening bullets?

Tmac

WKR
Good info, I appreciate it-what are some examples of faster and slower opening bullets?
Some generalizations, which are dangerous…

The eld-x and m open fairly quickly. Bergers are designed to go in a few inches then open/expand violently and often fragment. Most that use these designs tend to avoid light for caliber bullets for big game. They are favored by long range hunters because they tend to perform well at lower velocities.

Most, but not all, cup and core (non bonded) bullets will expand fairly quickly. They commonly have exposed lead tips or polymer tips, sometimes are HP’s. There are many designs. Bonded bullets can be fairly soft like the Federal Fusion, or a stouter design like the trophy bonded tip. Then you have the Nosler partition, very soft front part (not bonded) with a partitioned off rear that won’t expand.

Slower opening designs are often mono’s like Barnes LRX, X and TTSX, the Hornady CX and Federal copper likely is similar but I’ve not used them. LRX being the quickest operating of the group as far as I know. Generally light for caliber designs are favored with mono’s, that speed helps expansion. There are some mono’s that are designed to fragment some (shed petals), and they seem to act more like a quicker opening design, ie: Hammers.

You need to look at each bullet individually. Even bullets in the same series can have different design parameters. Most manufacturer web sites offer some good info. That’s a good place to start, then see if you can vet it with actual field experience like you can see here on a number of threads. In some cases there are ballistic gelatin tests that can really show what a bullet does terminally.

Basically know the min and max velocity a bullet is designed for. Use that to inform your bullet choice and shooting range. Most perform well within their design parameters.

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
Some generalizations, which are dangerous…

The eld-x and m open fairly quickly. Bergers are designed to go in a few inches then open/expand violently and often fragment. Most that use these designs tend to avoid light for caliber bullets for big game. They are favored by long range hunters because they tend to perform well at lower velocities.

Most, but not all, cup and core (non bonded) bullets will expand fairly quickly. They commonly have exposed lead tips or polymer tips, sometimes are HP’s. There are many designs. Bonded bullets can be fairly soft like the Federal Fusion, or a stouter design like the trophy bonded tip. Then you have the Nosler partition, very soft front part (not bonded) with a partitioned off rear that won’t expand.

Slower opening designs are often mono’s like Barnes LRX, X and TTSX, the Hornady CX and Federal copper likely is similar but I’ve not used them. LRX being the quickest operating of the group as far as I know. Generally light for caliber designs are favored with mono’s, that speed helps expansion. There are some mono’s that are designed to fragment some (shed petals), and they seem to act more like a quicker opening design, ie: Hammers.

You need to look at each bullet individually. Even bullets in the same series can have different design parameters. Most manufacturer web sites offer some good info. That’s a good place to start, then see if you can vet it with actual field experience like you can see here on a number of threads. In some cases there are ballistic gelatin tests that can really show what a bullet does terminally.

Basically know the min and max velocity a bullet is designed for. Use that to inform your bullet choice and shooting range. Most perform well within their design parameters.
This is awesome thanks for taking the time to write it out.

JRay

Lil-Rokslider
No pictures but watched two bulls get killed this year with 300prc ELDX 212. Both 100 yard-ish shots. Both broadside.

First bull was lung shot, found bullet against offside hide. Went 80yds and piled up. Bullet appeared to have deformed and tumbled at an angle to the shot angle.

Second bull was lung shot, complete pass through followed by neck/spine shot that was a complete pass through.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Found this thread when I was about to post a question - photo is 175 ELDX entrance from 275yd, 7PRC, 20” barrel. I’ve seen large exits but this was entrance side - blew a ton of hair off the animal on impact, larger exit. Typically have seen caliber sized entrances with fist size exits in 143gr 6.5mm version.

What causes such a large upset on bullet entrance? Is it just rapid deformation? IMG_2632.jpeg

The Guide

WKR
Found this thread when I was about to post a question - photo is 175 ELDX entrance from 275yd, 7PRC, 20” barrel. I’ve seen large exits but this was entrance side - blew a ton of hair off the animal on impact, larger exit. Typically have seen caliber sized entrances with fist size exits in 143gr 6.5mm version.

What causes such a large upset on bullet entrance? Is it just rapid deformation? View attachment 620655
From what I've seen, what you experienced was blow back. The bullet entered, expanded/fragmented, and the temporary wound cavity blew back out the entrance wound during expansion. This typically happens when soft areas with lots of fluid are hit. These areas expand violently and often tear from the concussion of the expansion.

Jay

Duh

WKR
Here’s what I got for the in 300 win mag shooting the 212 eldx, with Petersons long brass, a near max load of H1000, fed 215, and muzzle velocity at 2963FPS. The gun is a Seekins Havak with a 26in barrel and 10twist barrel and a NX8 (I love this gun). Sometime suppressed sometimes not.

First is a bull elk at 300 yards, impact velocity was at 2642. Shot was a frontal and bullet placement was between the crease in the neck and front shoulder. Completely liquified the lungs and internal organs. No exit but he instantly dropped and you can see the carnage coming out of his mouth and nose. I didn’t dig the bullet out of his insides but his lungs were jelly.
IMG_6166.jpeg
Second is a whitetail at 364 yards. Impact velocity was around 2570fps. Single shot in the heart. There was no heart left and the bullet stopped in the off side shoulder with minimal meat damage. Sorry I didn’t take pictures of his insides but there was massive damage. IMG_4731.jpeg
Here’s another bull shot at 315 yards. Impact was at 2625 fps. First shot was in the crease of the neck and front shoulder (got more shoulder) and the second shot was into the lungs as he turned. The first shot most likely would have killed him and did massive
damage to the front part of his chest cavity and shoulder. The bullet did fragment a lot and I had to cut around the blood shot area. The second shot Completely destroyed his lungs and they were jelly as well. Sorry I was bad at taking damage pictures here too.
IMG_1198.jpeg
Another bull at 120 yards with impact velocity around 2827 fps. Shot was in the neck and he never left His bed. Bullet fragmented a ton and was not fun biting into when I made neck roast. IMG_4203.jpeg
Heres a whitetail from this year. Shot at 450 yards with a 15mph cross wind. Shot was into the front shoulder and he dropped in his tracks. Impact velocity was 2485fps and the bullet was recovered. It weighed 106.4 after being recovered. Did fragment a lot and had some meat damage but not horrible. IMG_6481.jpegIMG_6670.jpeg
Last for the 300 win mag is a muley buck shot at 460 yards with a 12mph head on wind. The shot was quartering to and placed right behind the shoulder into the top of the lungs. Impact velocity was 2453 fps. Bullet turned the lungs into jelly, took out some spine bone and stopped on the off side hide. Bullet weighed 68.7 grains upon recovery.
I did take better pics here and this seems to be pretty consistent as far as weight retention after this bullet hits bone or a hard surface.
IMG_6562.jpegIMG_6608.jpegIMG_6610.jpegIMG_6668.jpeg

All in all, I really like the 212 eldx and it’s done everything I’ve needed it to. Have a bunch more kills with it but they’re boring 1 shot kills with just a bunch of internal damage.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Have some experience with 6.5 prc in the 143 eldx. Shot many antelope that just dropped, deer as well and I shot a cow elk quartering away sharply at 360. She went 10 feet and toppled over. Bullets have never fragmented (never shoulder shot them) and the cow I shot the mushroom was poking out the front right shoulder. Absolutely destroyed her lungs and heart.

FWIW I think the 6.5 prc is capable of 90 percent of what the average hunter does. Cheaper ammo is always a plus.

Duh

WKR
Here’s what I got for 143 eldx in the 6.5 creedmoor. I’ve shot pretty well out to 1200 yards with my hand loads now. Set up is a 24 inch Howa 1500 in a XLR chassis, Arken EPL in MOA, with a banish 30 suppressor. The load is 143eldx, Lapua LRP brass, Winchester LRP, IMR 4350 going 2735FPS.

We’ll long story short I shot an antelope buck at 975 yards this year. He was slightly quartered to and I hit him right behind the shoulder, he dropped immediately but got back up right away, took a few steps before tipping over. He died in about 10 seconds after being shot.

Upon gutting him, the onside lung had decent damage (nothing significant), the liver was tore completely apart as well as a kidney. I couldn’t find the exit hole but found the bullet in the offside hind quarter while butchering. Heres a few pics of the bullet I recoverd. I’m not surprised at that distance but based on the internal damage to lungs and liver, I’d say the bullet still did damage (I think it tumbled inside of him). The impact velocity would have been 1667FPS with about 883FT-LBs.

I understand the bullet didn’t frag, mushroom, open up and some might consider it a failure. Just posting my experience. I wish I would have taken pictures of the lungs and liver but I forgot in the moment. In all honesty, it wasn’t devastating but it wasn’t minimal either. I recovered the bullet in the offside hind quarter when I was processing him. IMG_6232.jpegIMG_6295.jpegIMG_6294.jpegIMG_6297.jpeg
Here’s a bull elk that I shot a while back with hornadys factory ammo in 143eldx. Shot was 440 in the lungs and bullet was recoverd in the off side hide. Lungs were toast and he stumbled about 10 yards before dying.
IMG_0528.jpegIMG_0547.jpeg
This mushroom has been my experience with the 143eldx. Sometimes its fragmented a bit more. Regardless, I’m a big fan of this bullet too. Not saying they’re the end all be all but I can’t complain.

MattB

WKR
Both my kills with the 143 ELD-X were complete pass throughs, no bullet recovery. Mule deer 2022 at 325 yds, first shot went lower neck, second went double lung. Golf ball sized exit wounds. Didn't go 10 yds.

Second kill was a buddy on a small black bear at 340 yds. First shot through the femur, totally blew it apart. Second shot was under the spine and over the top of the lungs. Another golf ball sized exit. Bear went 30 yds or so before expiring.
There is no such place on a live animal. The top of the lungs are actually higher than the bottom of the spinal column. If you were to look at a cutaway from the front, the top of the chest cavity has a similar shape to the top of a valentines heart (❤️) where the bottom of the spinal column is below where the ribs connect. The top of the lungs extend into that space on either side of the bottom of the spine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duh
There is no such place on a live animal. The top of the lungs are actually higher than the bottom of the spinal column. If you were to look at a cutaway from the front, the top of the chest cavity has a similar shape to the top of a valentines heart (❤️) where the bottom of the spinal column is below where the ribs connect. The top of the lungs extend into that space on either side of the bottom of the spine.
Well here's a picture of the lungs. No damage from the bullet that I can see.

IMG_1722 (1).JPG

Duh

WKR
Here’s another one from today. Whitetail doe at 540 yards 9mph wind. 300 win mag with a handload 212 ELDX. Threaded the bullet into an opening in the trees and put it in the lungs. Actually got a pass through this time (first in a while). Doe ran about 40 yards and piled up. Firs pic is the entrance side of the lungs,
Second is the middle, third is the exit, 4th is the entrance, and last is the exit.

Attachments

• IMG_6713.jpeg
    IMG_6713.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6711.jpeg
    IMG_6711.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6707.jpeg
    IMG_6707.jpeg
    579.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6708.jpeg
    IMG_6708.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6706.jpeg
    IMG_6706.jpeg
    630.7 KB · Views: 31

tracker12

WKR
I have shot a bull moose and a mule deer with the 200 ELDX. Moose at 30 yards and deer at 196. Both fell within 50 yards. Small sampling but good results on both. Accuracy is also very good out of my Pre 64 Model 70 300 HH

143eldx 6.5PRC, 60ish yards pinky entrance golfball sized exit this is what I expect if I don’t hit the shoulder. If I hit shoulder blade they’ve been drt out to 400yds, lungs are jello usually pour out. They behave just like Hornady SST for me so far.

IMG_7715.jpeg

axeforce6

WKR
A6C1F872-9A12-416D-B93D-CFEE737C383D.jpeg
69DF2E92-E5EB-433D-814D-AB297A48C289.jpeg
This is an entrance and exit of a 200gr eldx out of a 300wm at 2905mv. Small doe and under 100 yards. This may be considered too much over kill on this forum because it was shot with a caliber over 6mm. Lol. Miraculously she made it about 40 yards and piled up. They are good killing bullets. I’ve shot deer out to 500 with them and have had great results.