Looking for review of the Schnee’s Granite Pro

SteveOtt

FNG
I’m very interested in these boots but would like some input from y’all. Haven’t been able to find much for existing reviews. I’ll be using them for hunting the alpine in AK (mostly southeast with one northern trip a year).

TButtars

FNG
I’m currently on my 4th pair they have warrantied every pair I’ve had because they leak badly ....... pretty cool they stand behind there warranty but I love the boots as far as fit and comfort

I have a pair of Scarpa SL active ...... thoughts on how 'flex' of the sole would be when comparing the 2 side by side ??

OP
SteveOtt

SteveOtt

FNG
I ended up with the Granite 0g for a little more flex over the pros. Have about 20 miles on them. Breaking in nicely. Hoping the sole gets a bit more flex.

I haven’t ran the Scarpa’s myself.

bobbyrowman

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping an old thread. Anyone have a comparison of stiffness between the granite pro and the crispi briksdal sf? Got the crispis but just wish they were taller. Thx

WyoArk

FNG
I’m looking at the granite pro for SE Alaska this fall. Anyone have any expletive with it on Rasberry or Etolin?

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
Not the Granite Pros, but I have the Granite 200g and used them on Adak last fall and was very happy with the flex and support in steep and muddy terrain in wet conditions. The flex of the boot was perfect for my 175 lb weight hiking in the alpine and also supporting my feet on the pack out with 120 lbs on my back. Just enough rocker to facilitate walking without a heavy pack. Personally, I don't have a need to go stiffer unless I was doing actual mountaineering. The 2.8mm thick leather lends great ankle support and I had no leaking, even after some 10-14" deep stream crossings (with gaiters on).
That said, I would have loved to try the Granite Pros if they were offered in a wide size for my caveman feet.

Deadfall

WKR
Just went to granite pro last week. Bought on Octobe r16th. Wore them rest of day on 16th all day on 17th. been in hills since then. Got home 10 or 11 last night. I went this route because my kestrel and timberlines I had did not hold up very well. Which I kind of expected but was testing out some of my own theory, whatever. timberline did fine first season. This year blew out part way through 3rd archery hunt. So I quit messin around and bought the granite pro. Absolutely no knock on the timberline or kestrel. They are great boots just not meant for what and how I do.
1. they will have some pressure points during break in,
I noticed pressure on pad of big toe when steep side hill. Also had pretty good pressure on right outside ankle bone. heel does not lock down very good when these are new like mine. Time will tell if that changes. Even if it does not, I had zero issue with hot spots or blisters. Only problem could be little extra wear on socks, although I doubt it's enough movement to notice.
2. Top of foot was uncomfortable to start, however that went away within 5 or 10 miles ish.

When traveling down steep slopes these boots are fantastic at keeping your feet from bunching up in the front of boots. Best I've ever experienced in that regard.

For a super hard soled boot the sole is very sticky. I spent a good deal of time walking on top of deadfall and no issue at all. Because of other hard soled boots I've had, I really resembled a long tail cat in a room full of rockin chairs when I first climbed on top of deadfall in these boots. Those others by different maker are absolutely useless in bad weather. These I have high hopes for. we had a bit of rain yesterday evening so I was able to test out the sole a bit on wet logs and in slime mud. Can't beat schnees soles man. they are great.

As is the case with every other schnee boot I've owned, the toe box is perfect for me. I have weird feet. skinny heel kind of wide front. Which is part of issue with locking my heel down in boots.

Just asked Matt how long break in is on these. I'm told between 50-60 miles. I'm at about 40 or so now. Just a couple spots that still need to loosen up.
I think it gonna be well worth the initial discomfort. Time will tell.

These are supposed to be 100% water proof. Next couple weeks will tell.

One final note. there is room for a second pair of warm socks in these boots. I noticed no difference in the performance of boot between wearing one thin pair of socks, two light pair or one thin and one heavy sock.