Looking to buy 300 WM - Opinions on these 2

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at a do it all western rifle. I think I have it narrowed down to two rifles.

Tikka T3X Superlite - 6lbs - 24 inch barrel​

Browning X-Bolt Speed Long Range - 7lbs 8oz - 26 inch barrel with break​

Looking for feedback comparing the two. I know Tikkas are highly thought of. Don't know as much about the brownings.

cjcavinaw

FNG
Both solid options. More aftermarket support for the tikka. Really like the x bolts except for their dang triggers

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Spiro

FNG
Winchester model 70. But I’m biased. I personally think it’s the best all around platform. Throw a McMillan stock on it and it’s prime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doepee

FNG
I went with the Browning several years ago just because I did not need to spend extra money to get it threaded. I love it, shoots like a dream, way less felt recoil compared to my old model 70, 30-06. Even my wife and 12 yo son shoot it with no problem. I have been very pleased.

What about those two made you pick them? they aren't really in the same category.

They make the xbolt in a lighter configuration more similar to a t3x lite/superlite (Hells canyon speed) and they make the Tikka in a heavier configuration with threaded muzzle more similar to that xbolt speed long range. (veil and roughtech).

I'm a fan of the xbolts if a guy isn't looking to tinker with them and also like tikkas. I like the magazine fitting flush, magazine lengh, stock shape, and recoil pad on the xbolts better. Trigger is nicer on the tikkas and there is more aftermarket support.

The tikka is nice to pack around, but not pleasant to shoot in 300wm, especially without a brake
This.

I have one in lite. Plenty accurate. Relatively light at under 9# topped with an NX8 4-20. I wouldn’t say it is fun to shoot But it isn’t painful If you are prepared. IMO strong value at that price point.

jimh406

WKR
First, have you ever shot a 300 WM? If you haven't, you may be underestimating the kick and/or what you can handle. Fwiw, my go to without brake is a 300 Wby that's 9 1/2 lbs. It kicks quite a lot, but mine is very accurate and works for me.

A 6 lb rifle will likely be under 8 lbs with scope. That will be enough to wake you up when you shoot it without suppressor or brake. On the other hand, a brake on a 300 mag is very loud. But, the x-bolt at around 9 1/2 won't be that pleasant to shoot either.

What do you have now that you think your current rifle isn't a do it all?

OP
W

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
First, have you ever shot a 300 WM? If you haven't, you may be underestimating the kick and/or what you can handle. Fwiw, my go to without brake is a 300 Wby that's 9 1/2 lbs. It kicks quite a lot, but mine is very accurate and works for me.

A 6 lb rifle will likely be under 8 lbs with scope. That will be enough to wake you up when you shoot it without suppressor or brake. On the other hand, a brake on a 300 mag is very loud. But, the x-bolt at around 9 1/2 won't be that pleasant to shoot either.

What do you have now that you think your current rifle isn't a do it all?
I have a T3X in 308. I could do a lot with it, but looking to setup a "western" gun.

I've had someone offer to trade me a Bergara HMR 7mm straight up for it plus the scope. It comes in at 9.5 lbs without a scope. Is that too much on the high side?

jimh406

WKR
I have a T3X in 308. I could do a lot with it, but looking to setup a "western" gun.

I've had someone offer to trade me a Bergara HMR 7mm straight up for it plus the scope. It comes in at 9.5 lbs without a scope. Is that too much on the high side?

I'm not sure if you count Randy Newberg as an expert or not. One of his go to guns including Elk is a .308. Ymmv.