Looking to Move to Western NC or SW VA - Need Advice

Dang right. Nice deer
Clay County at 2,000’… almost as west as you can get before Tennessee. Only wish I could find em! Had one big boy at 25 yds with my son last year and another at 20 with my youngest boy this year. Neither one of em gave us a clear shot. They’ve got a sixth sense.

Lowg08

WKR
Clay County at 2,000’… almost as west as you can get before Tennessee. Only wish I could find em! Had one big boy at 25 yds with my son last year and another at 20 with my youngest boy this year. Neither one of em gave us a clear shot. They’ve got a sixth sense.
Hey. I know where you’re at. I’m in Haywood county. I’ve been considering hunting Macon county some.

Swamp Fox

WKR
The Carolinas' best-kept secret is Charlotte and the surrounding area. Delicious cuisine and a ton of live music.
The two best things about Charlotte are that it's not in WNC and it's not in SW Va.

Also, you can pick up orange traffic cones and barrels there for cheap... They leave them out all over the roads for whoever wants them ....

At least they did the last time I had to go through there.

Mosby

WKR
As far as healthcare is concerned, there is a difference between elder care and care for people who already have health issues. There are ratings for each for most areas. The consideration is quite a bit different to me if you already have existing conditions compared to potentially having cancer in the future. I'd travel to the best cancer treatment although I'd want fairly close emergency care. If you or spouse are veterans, I'd also consider where the VA hospitals are.
I've learned that health care mentioned above should be one of the top considerations in retirement. Wife and I moved out in the country in the Ozarks after retirement and it's great until you need significant medical care. I had to move my wife to KC for her chemo treatments after her Cancer diagnosis. Staying local and driving 1 1/2 hours each way doesn't work when you are really sick and hurting. I'm getting her back on her feet and will start to get the house ready to sell. I am hoping to put it on the market in the next 2 years and we will be moving closer to one of our kids but wherever we end up, I want to be within 30 minutes of a large hospital. I would rather drive to hunt and fish. YMMV

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Charlotte is the Philly of the Carolinas haha. Outta North and South Carolina it’s my least favorite city, at least Charleston has some history and way better food.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Enjoyed this post and its answers. Were it me I would research the area for fifty miles around where my son moved and look to settle there. Hopefully entertainment and restaurants are plentiful. As for deer hunting NC and SW Virginia are good. A couple hours travel either north or South will find plenty of animals. As for the low density on public lands you just need to be patient, scout hard and success will not be far behind. I did not hear any comments on the Jefferson and George Washington National Forests. I have never failed to find deer on these forests and they are around 1.8 million acres. I have never had much issue with too many people either except during Turkey season one year. There was someone behind every bush for the first couple miles in.

If hunting public is too much there are many clubs, lodges and outfitters that can provide a well regulated hunt. Access to private land is also a possibility although this is sometimes tough on new comers.

No getting around the politics. Red is Red and Blue is Blue. I can't stand either although I lean toward Red and generally don't like people much preferring my dogs. Good luck on your search