Lost my Bear

G8ters

Lil-Rokslider
We’ll, looks like I lost my bear rug. I was successful on a Maine bear hunt last year in the great north woods just north of Kokajo, Maine. Traveling from Florida, I wanted to get the hide mounted in an open mouth rug that was on my way back. Outfitter said there was a taxidermist on my way back before Newport.

The taxidermist was Nature’s Way
Mr. Frank Cupero
688 North Dexter Road
Parkman, ME 04443-3418

I just called him and the number has been disconnected.

Looks like I am out of a rug and a good amount of deposit. Hope the old man survived the cold Maine winter. The taxidermist has been in business for 35 years.

Have any of you faced this experience?
I chalk this up to bad luck.

WoodBow

WKR
Man i feel like i would put some more effort into it than whelp phone is disconnected, i guess it's gone.

There is probably a member here in the general area that could look into it for you. Even if the guy dropped dead, someone should be able to get your bear for you.

OP
G

G8ters

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 1400 miles away. Hoping someone knows what’s going on or have another form of contact. Oh well.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
F&G should have a number if he's still working. In Idaho most taxidermists are check in stations for game.

OP
G

G8ters

Lil-Rokslider
Good place to start is Maine Department of inland wildlife and fisheries. Seems there’s been some complaints. The officer overseeing taxidermy will give me a call. Getting North Woods Law involved.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I’d be calling the local LEOs. In Illinois, the taxidermists are check regularly by the CPOs.
Hell hath no fury as a lost bear skin.

OP
G

G8ters

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah.
That post was after I had dropped off the bear.
I really didn’t have cell service to google other taxidermists. Outfitter said the taxidermist was on my way out. He’s been in business for 30 years. Just hope he didn’t kick. I’ll let game and fish get involved. It is part of what they do.

EdP

WKR
Check with the outfitter to see if he knows something. Heck, the taxi may just have got rid of his landline and gone cell only like a lot of folks. Google the taxi's name and town to look for an obituary. If so there may be next of kin listed that you can Google up a phone number or address for. Your bear might be in a freezer, might be at a tannery, might be done and ready to be picked up, or as others said it may be at another shop.

Rich M

WKR
Email, internet?

Push a little bit - LEO was a good idea, ME licensing is another, Outfitter, other number on the sign, nearby taxidermists, etc. All good ideas, just a little more work than expected.

We’ll, looks like I lost my bear rug. I was successful on a Maine bear hunt last year in the great north woods just north of Kokajo, Maine. Traveling from Florida, I wanted to get the hide mounted in an open mouth rug that was on my way back. Outfitter said there was a taxidermist on my way back before Newport.

Mr. Frank Cupero
688 North Dexter Road
Parkman, ME 04443-3418

Looks like I am out of a rug and a good amount of deposit. Hope the old man survived the cold Maine winter. The taxidermist has been in business for 35 years.

Call the outfitter you used and ask him if he can follow up. He recommended the guy and there is a code of conduct that most of them will follow for a client. I was in the game for a long time and if any of my clients had called me I would have gone over to his place and started my research from there. If he's unwilling to at least look into it for you then he isn't worth much in that industry.

jpmulk

WKR

Mr. Frank Cupero
688 North Dexter Road
Parkman, ME 04443-3418

I had something similar happen. Learned the guy closed up shop and ran cuz he was getting sued for other issues.

gbrf,8x10,f,540x540-pad,450x450,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

OP
G

G8ters

Lil-Rokslider
Taking to the outfitter this Saturday as they will be at the Florida Outdoor Expo. I have a neighbor who is from Maine and may not mind asking some buddies to do a drive by. Looks like the guy had an ex wife and I tried that number and two other numbers. All disconnected.

Called a taxidermist in Newport and he said he know that the person and didn’t seem to think that the person was deceased. They use the same tannery but he didn’t want to give me any more information. Only so much I can do 1400 miles away.