Love Hate with my A400 Extreme

I got picked up an A400 Extreme roughly 6 years ago and to me it's the Lamborghini of waterfowl guns. In side by side comparison to it's competition it has much more justification for the price tag. The gun is reliable, super easy to disassemble, shoots fast and kicks like a pillow, second to none craftsmanship BUT I just dont feel like it comes naturally for me to swing it and follow a target. Once shouldered, the barrel and low vent rib seem bulky and takes work to make a good shot. After much agony I think I may part ways and go with a cheaper and better feeling gun, specifically looking at the winchester semi autos. I dont think I'll go the $1000+ route bc I am extremely hard on them and everytime my $1600 gun slides around in a metal jon boat I cringe. Any thoughts?

ckleeves

WKR
Have you shimmed the stock? With any Beretta I need the biggest drop and left cast shim they come with. The way they come I would shoot over everything.

That being said the A400 Xtremes are a “slow” gun. I had a 26” unico and it was light and super responsive. Sold it and went to a 28” Xtreme. It handles nothing like the Unico. I ordered a 26” but they shipped a 28” and I just kept it rather then go to the trouble of a return but regret not doing it now.

I actually like the weight and balance of it especially for geese. Took some getting used to for sure but if you have shot it for 5 years then I think your passed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheArdentOutdoorsman
I have to try that because I point low for that very reason. I just feel like my bird gun needs to fit like a glove but i love the gun itself so much I dont want to get rid of it lol

I have tried many and while I really liked some Benelli’s the way a Winchester Sx3/4 held and target acquisition I made the switch and couldn’t be happier. I believe everyone has a different desire for feel but have been extremely satisfied with the switch to Winchester and have zero complaints nor failures.

Get someone who knows what they are doing to help you with gun fit. Your Beretta has a shim kit that should get the most out of it for you, i.e. turn it into a well fitting gun.

As per the rib....when I am shooting well with focus on the bird, I really don’t see the rib clearly, it’s just a blur and birds go down with the shot. Anyway, Beretta Auto’s are a dandy shotgun that are adjustable to get the best fit possible. Good luck.

Need to use the shims with the gun as previously said if you haven't.

Is it a kick-off?

I have an a-400 lite and an a-400 lite with kick-off and the kickoff shoots higher than the standard lite. Have as much drop as can be provided with the factory shims. Kinda annoyed with it since I bought it after the standard and how well I shot it.

Shim it and get advice fro. Somebody that knows what they are doing...The a400 is actually lighter than the 391 it replaced...I shot it for 10yrs and took some adjusting when I got my a400...Also make sure you fill out warranty info some the 1st yr a400 had issues with bolt timing/feeding issues...I am not real sure what it was they wouldnt explain...but after 2yrs with i called them gave them my serial# and they had me send it back. No issues since.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
3-4 years ago my son claimed my Benelli SBEII so I tried out the A400 Extreme and didn't like it from the beginning. It was big and bulky and just didn't feel right. I really liked the how slim and trim the SBEII was. I hunted with the Beretta for a season and when the SBEIII came out I sold the Beretta as fast as I could. The SBEIII fits me better, swings better and at least in my experience a better overall shotgun. I've had it for two waterfowl seasons now and won't even think about going to another shotgun.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I agree on getting rid of it, if it doesn't fit you. I bought an 870, when it came time for me to get a duck gun. I like Remington guns and I knew it would be super easy to take apart after every hunt to clean and dry off.

Maybe a different length of pull would make it fit you better.

IMO the Winchester’s still have that bulky feel in the stock and grip, and the worst grip out there. From what you describe a Benelli would fit the bill and one of the Benelli clones would get you under $1000.

Crang

FNG
I had to shim mine and spent a lot of time patterning it. I use a custom turkey choke on it and inside 35 yards it has to be as on as a rifle for me. Took some tinkering but eventually got it.

DaveDeli

FNG
Have you checked the balance point? If it’s too far forward the gun won’t swing well, maybe adding a little weight to the stock will help. Definitely find a gunsmith that knows how to fit shotguns and you may end up loving that gun even more!

OP
TheArdentOutdoorsman
I am thinking I may just be used to a slimmer feel. I can shoot well with it, just feels big in my hands. I need to go shoulder some more guns before I think about a switch. I know the SBE and A5 shoulder great for me but I dont think I want to spend over 1k on another bird gun.

I am thinking I may just be used to a slimmer feel. I can shoot well with it, just feels big in my hands. I need to go shoulder some more guns before I think about a switch. I know the SBE and A5 shoulder great for me but I dont think I want to spend over 1k on another bird gun.

Keep in mind those are also inertia guns. They aren't going to recoil the same as your a400 gas gun. If the fit is good it might not be a big deal. But they can knock the snot out of you if you don't get a good consistent mount.

Noticed you put Ohio/VA as location.

If you would like to try an a5 and come through the Shenandoah Valley any let me know. I might be able to accommodate.

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
If you put the maximum drop shim in the gun and you're still way over the rib, it's possible to add a carbon fiber rib to the top of the steel rib. I've seen that done with many trap and sporting clays guns, and it doesn't look bad at all. Increasing the factory length of pull with the supplied spacer will also get your eye down more in line with the rib and costs nothing if the increased LOP is comfortable. I think the advice to find someone knowledgeable in helping you fit the gun that was given previously is solid. I know I wouldn't trade my 30" Extrema for any of the other alternatives mentioned. But I did have to try different configurations from the factory set up to get it where I wanted it.

Very good read. I have had several high end guns. Sbe 2, Browning, beretta just to name a few and just the way I naturally point and shoot the original A5 are the only gun I hunt anymore. They are just fit me much better than others and it shows in shooting. Hope it helps