Low-Mid Range Packs

OP
DIBBS

DIBBS

FNG
Seems like the general consensus is to invest the most in the pack system and worry about the bag side later. Does anyone have any experience with the Outdoorsman line as far as their comfort/ability for the price?

Thats not even the fifth time ive read that someone recommends the REI XT85. I have been thinking of looking into a backpacking bag for a day pack as well. My concern is only how well they would hold up.

I think I've packed out about 20 elk using my BL 2200. Is it a great pack? No, but it works. Packed two out last year with it. If you think about it, the Kifaru Nomads, EMR and Fulcrum series are based on the 2200 style. My only complaint with the 2200 is it's heavy empty and when you add water, game bags, clothes etc, it gets heavier.

FYI, I picked mine up on EBAY for 99 dollars back in the day and it may have seen it's last days as I'm looking to upgrade. The pack has more than worked for elk, deer, sheep, and I've packed in for a week with it many times.

jspradley

WKR
The Badlands 2200 is about $280, the Mystery Ranch Popup 28 is $299. I've seen the larger MR packs on Camofire and on sale on other sites for around the same price from time to time.

I'd save up a bit extra and go that route or a used Kifaru/SG/MR/Exo frame.

I just used a BL 2200 this year for muleys in Idaho. Helped pack out a deer with it. It does the job. It isn't the most comfortable and I've now upgraded to the MR Cabinet. Can't wait to see what it's like but if you're still interested in the BL 2200 I could sell ya mine. Pm if interested.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

bnoble318

FNG
If you do not mind putting everything inside your pack, finding a hiking backpack from REI or backcountry or moosejaw may be a more affordable route. Meat shelves are all the rage, but don't knock just throwing everything in a top loader.

If you do not mind putting everything inside your pack, finding a hiking backpack from REI or backcountry or moosejaw may be a more affordable route. Meat shelves are all the rage, but don't knock just throwing everything in a top loader.

I’m knocking it. Meat shelves are all the rage because after decade/s of packing meat inside internal frame packs experienced hunters have almost unanimously decided to GO BACK to external frames for packing meat. It’s not like putting the meat outside the pack bag is a new idea. That’s how it was always done until 15-20 years ago, maybe less. Bottom line is - hunters didn’t even really adopt internal frames until they developed superior load handling ability to traditional external frames- but then hunters (outsie of military) drove the market that said- “now put that frame back outside the bag please.”
Because it’s cleaner for your gear and better for the meat to be strapped to the frame outside the packbag.

You can absolutely get it done with a big old internal frame pack- no doubt, and i know it is irritating to pay a premium for a product simply because it is marketed to hunters- but in the case of the upper tier hunting packs- there’s no marketing budget to speak of- you are paying for performance and quality. The hype and hot air are free.

I like my Badlands 2200. Its a great daypack. Its not as comfortable as my Kifaru but it did not cost nearly as much either. It does work ok especially if the load is not too heavy.

OP
DIBBS

DIBBS

FNG
I may just end up borrowing a used pack until I can save up for a MR or SG. Especially since it’s a purchase that can save you loads in the long run if you don’t have to buy another.

Conbriden

FNG
I’d say the full curl system is a good pack to hold you over until you can afford a better pack or the sulmberjack railhauler 2500 is pretty solid as well

sneaky

"DADDY"
Don't Knock Badlands out just yet ! They have a new pack coming in January- 3 bag system- meathauler, might be something to look at I think its something like the Viavo
Is there stitching going to get any better? My boss has a love affair with badlands packs because he gets them at a discount. He keeps 3. One to use while others are usually having buckles or zippers replaced. Something breaks all the time, I've never had an issue with my Exo, yet they talk more shit on it than anything. I've packed elk out with them before and out of 3 2200 Badlands packs in use, two broke buckles securing the load and the other had his waist strap tied in a knot because the buckle was broke. Glad you've had a better experience, but it's cheaper to buy once cry once than to deal with having to return packs all the time to get fixed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thats not even the fifth time ive read that someone recommends the REI XT85. I have been thinking of looking into a backpacking bag for a day pack as well. My concern is only how well they would hold up.
I know a guy who has the XT85 and has packed out a ton of critters with it

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
Well stitching has nothing to do with buckels breaking. I have a Kuiu that has broken buckles, what does that mean ? Not shit. Unless there is a pack company that will put all metal buckles on the pack I can break any buckle on any pack at any time. Ive got a MR Marshall that is one of the sweetest packs made running 65lbs all day. But I now runSitka Mh6200 and would dare to say I will never have another pack. It will bury the Marshall for weight hauling and does not have seperation from frame and is all aluminum.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well stitching has nothing to do with buckels breaking. I have a Kuiu that has broken buckles, what does that mean ? Not shit. Unless there is a pack company that will put all metal buckles on the pack I can break any buckle on any pack at any time. Ive got a MR Marshall that is one of the sweetest packs made running 65lbs all day. But I now runSitka Mh6200 and would dare to say I will never have another pack. It will bury the Marshall for weight hauling and does not have seperation from frame and is all aluminum.
That's besides all the straps pulling loose. He will wait till they have 5 or 6 broken packs and then drop them off at once. Straps coming off, buckles breaking, etc etc. It's always something with those packs. I bet I could look through his stack right now and find several he's getting ready to warranty.

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
I used a Gregory internal frame backpacking pack for many years with great success that was right around $200. The ONLY thing that it couldn't do quite well was haul a tree stand around. The stand always had to be lashed to the outside and because it was the heaviest thing (unless I was hauling out meat) it had a lot of leverage on me being the farthest from my body. I used a cheap dry bag from Wal-Mart to haul my meat in while stuffing my Gregory to the gills and never had a spill or mess to clean up on my pack from the meat.

MTForester

Lil-Rokslider
Find a used Dana Design pack on ebay. Can be found for $150 or so. They were ahead of their time and I would take them over alot of brand new stuff.