Low recoil for bigger game

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've hunted in Alaska for over a decade with a 270 and 308, after shifting away from a 338 win mag and 375 Ruger for big game. After seeing moose, brown bear, and caribou taken with much less powerful cartridges (223s are employed a lot around here), I just didn't see the reason to continue to beat myself up, and use more powder...I can load a lot more 308 than 375 using the same type of powder. If you're looking for one and done, 270 and 308 can serve you well. With that said, I've also taken caribou with a 223, and moose with a 243, which are MUCH lighter recoiling cartridges than you have, might balance out your collection, and are fun to shoot.
Several years back, I met a guy who lived out in Illiamna and had decked tons of moose, caribou and even a few sheep in the lake clark area with a 308. It sort of made me move away from big magnums which I had always felt I needed for elk when I was younger. Now days I mostly shot 308, 30-06 and 6.5.

For glass try using what you have on hand to see if it’s dependable. Many an animal has been killed with a cheap scope. If 270 is common where you are that’s a great cartridge. Whatever rifle you get put a limbsaver recoil pad on it. Noticeable difference in felt recoil.

Maki35

WKR
Being that you live in AK, and ammo selection is limited. I would go with a .308.

Last edited:
The 6.5 prc is super popular and very close to the 270 - at least down here there’s probably 10x to 20x the selection for it vs the 270.
Where are you located? It’s crazy how regional this stuff can be. Even though .270 isn’t legal for anything but coyotes in Iowa, it is #1 or #2 on local Walmart shelves in terms of quantity and variety.

gelton

WKR
I was yesterday years old when I found out how effective muzzle brakes are. I have never owned or shot a braked rifle before. I just had my 300WM re-barreled and had an SRS SSPro4 Muzzle brake installed (you can buy it right here on Rokslide) and I was amazed that a rifle that used to kick like a mule, felt more like a .243.

Seriously, I couldn't believe the difference. Also - I went from a 26" varmint-style barrel to a 24" proof carbon Sendero, added the brake, and gained 100 fps.

Where are you located? It’s crazy how regional this stuff can be. Even though .270 isn’t legal for anything but coyotes in Iowa, it is #1 or #2 on local Walmart shelves in terms of quantity and variety.
Did they do away with the late doe rifle hunt in the southern two tiers of counties?

Ordering ammo outside of the contiguous 48 is difficult. The problem is that it cannot be shipped air cargo and barge shipping is expensive unless talking about thousands of rounds. It is the same in Ketchikan or Anchorage. So, you either find it locally, or have people flying in to visit bring you a few pounds.
I haven't been to Ketchikan but doesn't Anchorage have Sportsman's, Cabela's, and Bass Pro?

I was recently in a small gun store out laide of Anchorage and their shelves were stacked. Interestingly, the clerk said they were having trouble getting larger cartridges in stock.

*Admittedly, I think I skipped over the part where the OP said he was in southeast AK.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I haven't been to Ketchikan but doesn't Anchorage have Sportsman's, Cabela's, and Bass Pro?

I was recently in a small gun store out laide of Anchorage and their shelves were stacked. Interestingly, the clerk said they were having trouble getting larger cartridges in stock.

*Admittedly, I think I skipped over the part where the OP said he was in southeast AK.
Anchorage has lots of stores, but ordering ammo is still not possible. So still stuck with what is available locally.

From Cabela's Screenshot_20230910_102441_Chrome.jpg

Anchorage has lots of stores, but ordering ammo is still not possible. So still stuck with what is available locally.
Gotcha, I did not realize that. I guess I have never given much thought to the lower 48 clause. I figured the local store would just put it on a courier service for you.

TaperPin

WKR
The regional differences really are interesting.

NSI

WKR
Pick what you want. Buy a barrel life’s worth of the rounds it shoots well. You will be inside the same lot and save money re-zeroing over the life of the barrel.

-J

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The discussions have been had, you can really bump down the punch and still be lethal. Shot placement and bullet construction are the key elements.

My 7 short mag with a suppressor or brake is easy to shoot. But, when it slew at coues whitetail at 720 with way more punch than needed, I dropped to a 25 short mag and get the same ballistics with less recoil. Both my rifles are long range capable with higher velocity in the magnum. I also hunt mountains where I like the possibility to reach out.

Inside 300 yards, your velocity will be plenty with a good 6mm, 257, 6.5 or 7mm bullet in a short action. It will be equal or faster at 300 than mine out at long range I have seen them kill. The smaller caliber you go you get more range and less drop.

I have a tiny 6mm BRA caliber rifle that I use if shots will be inside 400 yards, and I don’t feel underpowered at all.

It’s about ammo availability, so probably a 6.5 creed as people mentioned. It isn’t going away. Also, but as much as you can, and you can usually weather the slow times for ammo.

NDM91920

FNG
Im a huger fan of the 7mm rem mag. It has the power for big game but also can be used down to coues deer with lighter loads. It has great balistics and rifles are readily available. Ammo can be a little hard to find right now for specific loads but it is getting better. It allows you more freedom without breaking out the checkbook for every different animal you want to persue. The recoil is about the same as a 30.06 so its comfortable especially if your rifle is on the heavier side.