Lowa Warranty Service

I want to preface this thread with the following statement: this is not intended to bash Lowa, rather it is intended to make you aware of how warranty issues may be handled and the frustration I have had with them in attempting to resolve an issue. If you feel I am bashing, I welcome your criticism.

Last year I purchased a pair of Lowa Rangers. I like these boots very much, and have logged a good number of miles on them. Many of these miles are in tough country with a lot of basalt rock, which I freely acknowledge is hard on boots. I have always been meticulous about cleaning my boots and have treated them with Sno Seal. I don't ever dry them next to a woodstove or campfire. I've made that mistake before, and I learned from it.

Fast forward to this fall. The rubber rand on my boots was starting to separate from the leather. I contacted Lowa about it and told them exactly what I stated above. I was told that the beeswax in the Sno Seal "overtreats" the leather and causes the rubber to separate. When I pointed out the leather was also cracking an excessive amount, I was also told that the beeswax dries it out and causes it to crack. Obviously, Lowa has no desire to help me resolve this issue. I am not looking for new boots, I've worn these hard and don't deserve new boots. I was hoping for either some help repairing the boots, which I would have gladly split costs had it been offered.

Maybe I'm all wet here and Sno Seal does ruin boots. I find that hard to believe, because two previous pairs of Lowa boots (Baffin Pros and Sheep Hunters) were treated with Sno Seal for about eight YEARS and I never had issues with rands delaminating or leather cracking. I would still be wearing those boots but my feet flattened and I needed a bigger size.

Perhaps my biggest frustration in all of this is the constant voodoo bullshit as it pertains to footwear treatment. For many years, Lowa advocated Nikwax products, and also Granger products. Granger is a beeswax product. I used Obenauf's on my first pair of Lowas, and was told by Dave Page not to use it because it affected the glues. It gets to a point and you just want to ask them WTF am I supposed to use that I don't have order with your specific name on it? I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, but at times it appears that it's just an avenue to renounce any manufacturing responsibility for what's happening with the boots.

I am not posting this in hopes of leveraging Lowa. I don't operate like that. I've been a very dedicated Lowa customer and have always been happy with their products. I am reconsidering that now and will likely go to a different boot line. I value customer service very much, even though I rarely rely on it. Usually, I accept the fact that I am very hard on footwear and that it's a fact of life. In this case, I feel the boots should show more longevity than they are.

I bought a pair of Tibets and Hunter extreme this fall and the Tibets had a crack in rand and a tiny seperation within two weeks of moderate wear. The Hunters had the rand seperating in many places within two or so weeks. I used Nikwax on both of these. Lowa had me go through the retailer for warranty.

No more Lowa for me.

bhylton

WKR
same deal for me. rand came off my hunters. They said the warranty was void because i did not use the lowa brand treatment products

WyoElk

WKR
I bought a pair of Tibets last April that I'm having the same problem with. I never treated them. I've only used them for one season of hunting now. I filled out their warranty slip and sent them the pictures they requested. The asked me to send them back (which cost me $25). I sent them off yesterday so we will see what happens.

I really hope they do right by me. These have been some really great boots that have continued to impress me but if I can only get less than one season out of them I'm going to have to go a different direction.

Tod osier

WKR
My wife's Lowas rands cracked in multiple places, pieces broke off and and it looks like the stitching underneath the rand is failing in one spot. They are trashcan ready at this point. These are a couple year old boots that do not get all that much use, I would call them barely broken as far as wear other than the failures.

For the price you have to pay for high end boots like Lowa, etc, I don't see the problem with paying a little extra for "their" product to treat the boots. BUT when they won't back up THEIR boots after using THEIR products to protect them, it is time to stop buying BOTH products.

Trial153

WKR
Good post. I agree I hate being fed a line of bull shit and companies that offer it should be taken to task

gelton

WKR
Funny you should post this. Several years (like 2013) back I posted here that if you used Obenhaufs on Lowas that they would probably not warranty a rand separation and it was like hitting a bee hive with a baseball bat. People were pm'ing me asking for a source, etc. I swear I read it either on Lowas website or in their booklet they send with the boots. At the time I couldn't find the source but I think this story will suffice.

At the end of the day I agree with the OP...manufacturers should be crystal clear on which products are ok for which boots. I personally try to stay away from oil based products but I havent had a pair of Lowas that didn't have something wrong with the rands and I have had 3 pairs - Ranger, Tibet, Hunter.

Not sure why these high dollar boot companies want to use cheap nubuck and glued rands. If they would come out with a quality full grain leather and sewn rands it would save alot of headaches as the boots wouldnt need to be treated so often and they wouldnt have to worry about the glue failing if it were sewn.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not exactly what your looking for but 3M 5200 marine adhesive will glue it forever. It comes in black but you'll probably have to order it. White can be found anywhere

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CM

WKR
It's ugly and probably voids warranties but I always put seam grip on all the seams of my boots (including where the leather and rubber rand meet). I have done this to 2 pairs of Lowa Hunters and 4 pairs of Tibets and have never had a rand separate.

GKPrice

Banned
I've had the very same problems with 2 pairs of Tibets, 1 pair of Sheep Hunters, my 2nd pair of Rangers (which I just ignored the problem and wore them out at work, not hunting) and I'm on my 5th pair of Renegades with various "blemishes" but still tickin' - Lowa took back the first pair of Tibets in '09 (I think) to fix them and I had to buy my first pair of Renegades to get me by because it took so long to get them back - Now I use very light sandpaper and "shoe goo" to restick the rands, just the way it is I guess - I'm not about to quit Lowa boots because I'd be back to my old constant hurt feet in no time - There's a new Lowa style out that I haven't tried on but they look like the rest of the boots on the market, 21st century .....

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
others have recommended FreeSole boot repair for Kennetrek rand separation, which is what kennetrek uses when they rebuild them. I am told that it is supposed to work better than shoe goo, but it is all hearsay and conjecture. I am repairing two pair of Kennetrek rands this winter for spring/summer training and possibly next fall's utilization to depending upon how they hold up.

Tod osier

WKR
others have recommended FreeSole boot repair for Kennetrek rand separation, which is what kennetrek uses when they rebuild them. I am told that it is supposed to work better than shoe goo, but it is all hearsay and conjecture. I am repairing two pair of Kennetrek rands this winter for spring/summer training and possibly next fall's utilization to depending upon how they hold up.

I've used freesole for such repairs - it worked and held through a pretty rough season. Couple suggestions on the use. I used blue painters tape on the leather outside the rand to keep the glue off and that repair looked a lot better than when I did not. Also be prepared for some creative clamping to get the rand to lay flat, I had a lot of tape and random objects stick in it to put the pressure where I wanted it.

GKPrice

Banned
I've used freesole for such repairs - it worked and held through a pretty rough season. Couple suggestions on the use. I used blue painters tape on the leather outside the rand to keep the glue off and that repair looked a lot better than when I did not. Also be prepared for some creative clamping to get the rand to lay flat, I had a lot of tape and random objects stick in it to put the pressure where I wanted it.

I agree with Freesole just haven't used the stuff - Baker's Boots in Eugene OR pushes it and told me that's what LOWA tells them to sell too (I just happen to have several tubes of shoe goo and it works well enough, freesole is prob better though

OP
Jason Snyder
Lowa Ranger Warranty Request by jasonsnyder71 | Photobucket

Here is a link to the photos I sent to Lowa. As I was cleaning the boots to repair them, I came to the conclusion that much of the rand separation is from
shitty leather.

At this point it's water under the bridge. I'll fix them myself and get what mileage I can out of them. This will be my last pair of Lowas I buy.

I have tube of Freesole on my reloading bench. If that doesn't work I'll try the marine adhesive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jason Snyder
For the price you have to pay for high end boots like Lowa, etc, I don't see the problem with paying a little extra for "their" product to treat the boots. BUT when they won't back up THEIR boots after using THEIR products to protect them, it is time to stop buying BOTH products.

Fair point, but their product is not readily available. Maybe I should have ordered a bunch, at least then they might warranty the junk they sold me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
I have used Loess for 4 years now.

First pair was the insulated hunter GTX bla blah. Ran this boot for 4 months and logged over 1000 miles on them ( work and hunting). Rubber Rand started to break away in a 1inch spot after that.

This happen right when the Cvedale hunters came out, so I made a swap. 2.5 years into the Cvedale boots and the sole started to Delam during hunting season. Called customer care, expressed I could not mail boots back and be out two weeks without boos during hunting season. The customer service was Great! They told me to send in photos of the problem. Warranty guy agreed this was a warranty issue and they mailed me boots asap. I did have to cut a slit down the back of the boot down to the rand to void my original pair. But still, this cut a week off the turn around and I am still using the cut pair for random shit around the house.

I like Lowas. Sure some stuff might fail, but they stand behind it and rectify the situation. Plus I got a ton of use out of them in some environment s they were not intended for.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

When I was deciding on what leather treatment product to use on my new Lowas I read everything I could find online from Lowa about boot care and never found anything related to the rand. Only things I found were in regards to maintaining support and breathability.