Lowering Hilleberg Weight

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
Following... I have a Nallo 3 GT with footprint so the logical first drops are the footprint and the inner Yellow liner in warmer weather. That would be an easy and changeable choice. Likely could look up on their site the weight those things.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I rarely take my inner tent. I typically only have the outer and the footprint.

You can change out your zippers for cordage. You can eliminate some weight and bulk by downsizing your guy outs and getting different tensioners. It’s all really negligible weight savings though. I did it with one of my hilles. I think with my anjan..I have pictures of the weight saving somewhere. I’ll see if I can find them and add to this post later.

5b26dc3831a6f0f1fe24f98ca6896257.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ac3c56f59ad3915d8eb3a9e37d2b01a7.jpg

742a404f39ab007a161d1e5f695f0f13.jpg

a3a65bc5ac3bcd0a7aa56586f0b81b69.jpg

You’ll be lucky to save a few ounces for all the work…I believe I got all the line and hardware through z-packs.

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR
Same as above. I think the last tent I did this with only saved a couple of ounces. Maybe another ounce cutting out mesh storage pockets inside the tent. You can also replace stakes with lighter options, which could backfire on you. And ditch all the stuff sacks. You could save some more significant weight replacing aluminum poles with carbon fiber, but that’s pricey and not always a great idea.

schmalzy

WKR
@as.ks.ak nailed it. I’ll say the zipper pull mod is worth it regardless just to stop the jingling.

Depending how dumb you want to get with it there’s an oz or so to save with DCF stuff sacks

as.ks.ak

WKR
@as.ks.ak nailed it. I’ll say the zipper pull mod is worth it regardless just to stop the jingling.

Depending how dumb you want to get with it there’s an oz or so to save with DCF stuff sacks

Yes!! The jingling! I forgot how much it drove me crazy.

I did the above to anjan 2 gt. Cut all the zippers and changed to 1.8mm guy line instead of 2mm and changed to z packs tensioners. You could go to a 1.5mm for a little more. As others said it’s not a whole ton of weight. Essentially the weight of the hille is in the fabric and therein lies the strength. I ran a big Agnes fly creek for awhile. Half the weight and got a hole in the bottom. It’s hard to have strong and light.

I have a solo hilleberg. I did what everyone above mentioned. Cut the zipper pulls and the guy lines and replace it all with 1.8mm cord. I also tied a purrisk knot on the guy lines for tensioners. Beyond that you're going to start shaving weight at the cost of durability and functionality.

Stalker69

WKR
Damn, you would rather do that, for an ounce or way less. I cut weight down a bunch ( ton by these comparisons) by hunting with a hand gun ( encore , scoped). Not only save a ton of weight but ease of carry. ( that’s almost the weight of the complete tent)

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There’s nothing you can really do to a hilleberg other than leave the footprint or the inner tent behind. All that work people do won’t even save half a pound.