Luke Breaks Down the Soto, Jetboil Chubby.....AKA The Petker

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
[video=vimeo;90294667]http://vimeo.com/90294667[/video]

Luke you da man when is your patent coming out? haha

Ive been using the soto/jetboil .8 liter TI cup for 2 years now and love the system. I did take my neoprene sleeve off the jetboil as that thing liked to burn every time i used it and it saved a bit of weight for something that doesn't have a purpose for me.

Slim Jim

WKR
I can never hear video from my phone. Gonna have to check this out after work. Thanks for posting Luke cause I have the Soto as well

Bearcat

FNG
Thanks for the time to put that video together! Time to upgrade the stove and now I know what I want.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks for the time to put that video together! Time to upgrade the stove and now I know what I want.

Bearcat...order from Basegear.com if getting the new Soto Windmaster....."MEMBER20" at check gets teh pricing down to $60 shipped. Also the larger 4 prong pot stabilizer might be the way to go with the sumo so you'd cut 4 slots in the bottom 90 degrees apart rather than 3 at 120 degrees apart. Just make things a bit more secure.....atleast thats how I'm gonna do it.

though down at the beach ,I'm pretty much alcohol and bushbuddy person,now I know which way to go if I choose to go gas. thanks luke,bb

Great info, I'm glad you included how much fuel it took for each stove to come to a boil. In my world, I could care less about how long it takes to boil water and am more concerned with how much fuel I have to pack. Once again, great info.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great info, I'm glad you included how much fuel it took for each stove to come to a boil. In my world, I could care less about how long it takes to boil water and am more concerned with how much fuel I have to pack. Once again, great info.

Agreed, but if I can boil 2 MH meals worth (32 oz) of water for the same fuel usage as what would take MUCH longer doing two separate boils and use the same amount of fuel to do it, and we both can eat at the same time, might as well!

Yep, I totally agree, you have to use what is going to work best for your situation, I'm solo 95% of the time, so I'm only ever doing one boil at a time. I have always prioritized my stove set up in weight, amount of fuel burned and then time.

I have to say that I have been lucky with the set up I have. I have a 12 year old primus stove that weights the same as the pocket rocket 3oz, burns a little less fuel to boil a pot of water, and does it 30 sec fast. Only thing I've changed in the last 12 years was switching out a stainless pot for a titanium one.

Bambistew

WKR
Thanks for the review Luke!

Could you put your results up in a table showing the comparison?

From what I got from the video, you can use your Frankenstein stove/pot and 2 boils for roughly the same amount of fuel in the Sumo? So really its just more for convenience more than than economy? I can appreciate dining with your partner. Nothing worse than watching them eat while you're starving. :)

I have basically the same set up, Soto/JB pot.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Nice work Luke! I have been thinking of getting the Sumo pot for group hunts.

I figure that if I buy it, Brock or littlebuf could carry it and "we" could save weight.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks for the review Luke!

Could you put your results up in a table showing the comparison?

From what I got from the video, you can use your Frankenstein stove/pot and 2 boils for roughly the same amount of fuel in the Sumo? So really its just more for convenience more than than economy? I can appreciate dining with your partner. Nothing worse than watching them eat while you're starving. :)

I have basically the same set up, Soto/JB pot.

SOTO Stove/Cut down jet boil uses the same amount of fuel (in these conditions) as a jetboil stove with standard jetboil pot. Just takes roughly 40-45% longer. Being able to boil meals for 2 or even 3 with the Sumo at the same times not only saves boil times overall but also time to refill after each boil and the connivence of having all boiled at once. I think testing in the wind might be interesting as well to see how dramatic the boil times fall off. Maybe I'll get around to that at some point. Got a pretty full list of activities coming up so I don't see it happening in the near future atleast.

Bearcat

FNG
Luke thanks for the tip to basegear.com! Just ordered and got it for $60 shipped.

To add another data point, per my notes I measured my regular SOTO stove with a standard pot burns about 9g fuel/16 fl oz of water boiled under fair outdoor conditions. Or about 50% more than what you measured with the jetboil pots. In windy conditions, that number can get quite a bit worse of course. For two coffee drinking people using a standard pot, I figure 4.5-5 days per 230g canister under field conditions and usually come out ok.

My MSR liquid fuel stove works out to about the same 9g/16 fl oz number with a normal pot, but since it uses a windscreen it's a little more reliable about fuel consumption over the long haul.

Yk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks for the info YK. Any idea on the boil time with the pot you were using?

Thanks for the info YK. Any idea on the boil time with the pot you were using?

Had to got find my notes again. Right at 6:00 min and 18 g fuel to boil 32 oz with a TOAKS 1.3L pot. I seem to recall I get slightly better time and fuel efficiency with a wider 2L MSR pot, but couldn't find those notes. I've also found in the past I can increase fuel efficiency with a canister stove by turning the heat down bit, but only if air conditions are pretty calm. 18 g / for two MH meals is a more real number for field use.

The old XGK also came in right around 6 min/32 oz boiled, even including priming cycle.

Yk