Maccall idaho

Public land is owned and accessed by every American, don't get it twisted. There's no secret spots on public land. Non residents pay more than residents, same as every state. My family hunted as non residents in another state this year, payed NR fees and had a great hunt. NR fees are higher everywhere, tough shit. If you think higher fees entitle you to anything, you'll be sadly mistaken. Good ol' hard work will take you wherever you want to go.

*57 percent of tag and license revenue. Not the entire budget. You can use the land you pay for all you want. Recreate in it all you want. No one is stopping you.If you want to hunt Idaho’s game, you are going to pay more than a resident.

How many more nonresident elk/deer tags are there for 2020 compared to 2015?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
The same amount of NR tags for at least 15 years. This is the first year they sold out prior to being offered to residents as a second tag.

amassi

WKR
The same amount of NR tags for at least 15 years. This is the first year they sold out prior to being offered to residents as a second tag.
So wheres the non resident increase in pressure we keep reading about? Is it
1- Residents no longer able to get second tags because they are selling out to non res
2- More idaho residents hunting the same amount of territory
3- more tag holders, harder to get deer and elk tags so instead of having 1 non resident with 2 tags you have 2 non residents essentially doubling their numbers

So wheres the non resident increase in pressure we keep reading about? Is it
1- Residents no longer able to get second tags because they are selling out to non res
2- More idaho residents hunting the same amount of territory
3- more tag holders, harder to get deer and elk tags so instead of having 1 non resident with 2 tags you have 2 non residents essentially doubling their numbers

1. Yes, more NR's simply due to the fact that they sold out to NR's this year.
2. Definitely more Idaho residents .This to me is the biggest issue we are facing.
3. Possibly. I have talked to a few NR's who have split elk and deer tags. There are just under 13k NR elk tags (12,700 I think) and 14k deer tags, plus an additional 1500 whitetail reserve tags. Conceivably doubling numbers ( I know not all do this).
I think the increase folks are seeing or perceiving is the concentration of NR's in certain units.

amassi

WKR
1. Yes, more NR's simply due to the fact that they sold out to NR's this year.
2. Definitely more Idaho residents .This to me is the biggest issue we are facing.
3. Possibly. I have talked to a few NR's who have split elk and deer tags. There are just under 13k NR elk tags (12,700 I think) and 14k deer tags, plus an additional 1500 whitetail reserve tags. Conceivably doubling numbers ( I know not all do this).
I think the increase folks are seeing or perceiving is the concentration of NR's in certain units.
Havent they sold out the non resident tags for the last 6 or so years just at record speed this year?

Havent they sold out the non resident tags for the last 6 or so years just at record speed this year?

They have, but this is the first year that they sold out before August 1st which is when it opens for residents to buy the NR tag as a second.

amassi

WKR
They have, but this is the first year that they sold out before August 1st which is when it opens for residents to buy the NR tag as a second.
Interesting I wonder if idfg has a count of how many non resident big game hunters they had total

Interesting I wonder if idfg has a count of how many non resident big game hunters they had total

I’ve tried to track that number down but have been unable to find it. During the lean years, IFG actually offered the second tags at a reduced rate! Things have definitely changed!

Calbuck

WKR
Dude, I saw your title in the list of posts and just rolled my eyes because you didn't even spell McCall correctly. I already knew what the post was going to be before I clicked on it thanks to that. You have to pay attention to the details and I think that carry's over to how one hunts. It's one of the most crowded regions to hunt in the whole state and it's towards the end of the season. Animals are in drainages that you don't want to get into. Not to be a dick, but it's as simple as that. Same can be said for any of the highly pressured regions around the state.

The non resident pressure on Idaho's public lands is frustrating for people who live here. If your success in seeing animals drastically declines over 5 years, wouldn't you be frustrated with increasing NR pressure and every joe blow youtuber/instagramer talking about IDAHO OTC? We can't go to Texas and roll out of the truck and hunt the big whitetails running around on Public Land.

Dude, the nonresident pressure is the same every year because the tag allotment hasn’t changed in years..quit drumming up problems to non residents.. the problem is Idaho is running out of animals

IdahoElk

WKR
Does anyone know how many resident tags were sold this year compared to 5 years ago?
While I’d like to blame NR for all the added pressure I’ve seen the last few years I also realize our population is exploding.

Does anyone know how many resident tags were sold this year compared to 5 years ago?
While I’d like to blame NR for all the added pressure I’ve seen the last few years I also realize our population is exploding.
Not an actual, hard number, but this is out of the Spokesman Review:

"The earliest U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service records available online, from 1958, show 27 hunting license holders for every 100 people in Idaho. By 1982, that number was down slightly to 25 hunters for every 100 Idahoans. As hunting started to decline nationwide, Idaho slid to 20 hunters per 100 people in 2000. Last year, there were 16 hunters per 100 Idahoans – a number that’s been consistent in recent years since hitting an all-time low of 15 in 2013".

RDavis27

FNG
Wow, a tough topic. I live in Idaho and love the place. No one has mentioned the most important fact here. The wildlife within the state of Idaho are owned by the citizens of Idaho and I would like to see IDFG manage the game more for the citizens for Idaho. That being said I respect anyone who chooses to hunt big game. If IDFG grants you a tag I hope you enjoy Idaho and have good luck. I love seeing people from far away appreciate what we have.

Calbuck

WKR
Maybe it’s just me but I doubt it. My friends in Idaho tell me it’s the worst they’ve ever seen..I think too many doe tags too many general season tags too much winter kill has taken a toll..time to cut WAY back on harvest and get rid of doe hunts for a few years

Calbuck

WKR
To be clear, fish and game will never cut back
because they love the $$$...us as the hunters need to guide them toward more conservative management..maybe cut the resident general tag allotment

I would be 100% behind eliminating doe tags for a few years. I'm certainly not a biologist but it's a proven fact that killing females is the most effective way to reduce herd numbers.

amassi

WKR
I would be 100% behind eliminating doe tags for a few years. I'm certainly not a biologist but it's a proven fact that killing females is the most effective way to reduce herd numbers.
Building subdivisions on winter range is more effective at reducing herd size, as is side by side and snow mobile riders blazing around during fawn season. Wolves also do a tremendous job at herd reduction. Highways on travel corridors also
Doe hunts are an incredibly effective tool at managing herds for the ratio that the landscape will support. States that implement them have healthier deer herds than those that do not. Once you get rid of doe tag they may be hard to reinstate

Calbuck

WKR
When you hunt an area for a week and glass that area thoroughly from above treeline to the valley floor and turn up 5 deer in a full morning of glassing there is a problem. This is from 10000 ft down to 6000...when you see more people in a half hour than deer in a full day there is a problem. Sorry man, your state has more problems than non resident hunters. I have been hunting in Idaho for many years and there is a serious problem WITH DEER NUMBERS..elk, we saw them all over the place.

Building subdivisions on winter range is more effective at reducing herd size, as is side by side and snow mobile riders blazing around during fawn season. Wolves also do a tremendous job at herd reduction. Highways on travel corridors also
Doe hunts are an incredibly effective tool at managing herds for the ratio that the landscape will support. States that implement them have healthier deer herds than those that do not. Once you get rid of doe tag they may be hard to reinstate

Subdivisions, agreed. Highways? They've always been there. Doe hunts improving the herd? Go back to the midwest and forget about commenting on western deer herds, ever.

amassi

WKR
Subdivisions, agreed. Highways? They've always been there. Doe hunts improving the herd? Go back to the midwest and forget about commenting on western deer herds, ever.
Ok your right
I'm west of idaho you dirty easterner