Made me some tipi creepers

Been wanting a leather sewing machine for years and finally got one on thanksgiving. That night I started trying to make some moccasins with no pattern and a lot of want to. I tried to copy parts from stalkasins and anxynt moccasins. To shorten a weeks worth of frustration I’ll just say I didn’t get anywhere and started to doubt I could even do any of it on my machine I wanted to use so damn bad. I’d bought two full sides of leather and at the rate I was wasting it I thought I might have to go get two more. Out of desperation I went to YouTube and everybody was hand sewng theirs. Damit.
My wife is a personal trainer and she told some of her clients about my fight and a few days later she came home with three moc patterns from Tandy that they’d bought for me out of sympathy. The pattern I liked best turned out to be another waste of leather and a big case of the redass. I picked another pattern and completed it and it didn’t fit anybody in the house. So to shorten the story I modified the pattern multiple times in different ways then built one, repeat, repeat, then finally worked it in to what I wanted.
Took em for about a half mile loop stump shootin through the woods today with the dogs. I’m pretty happy with em. I shot pretty dang good too. Must be the shoes. IMG_3052.jpegIMG_3054.jpegIMG_3053.jpegIMG_3056.jpeg

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Those look great! Way to stick with it, my first few tangos with the sewing machine were similarly frustrating.

Do you have a link to the pattern you ended up liking the most?

WoodBow

WKR
They look great man. In the early covid days, I went down a rabbit hole trying to make some stalkasins that were a bit more converse like. I nailed the uppers, but couldn't ever come up with a design for the toe that I was happy with, and eventually abandoned the project.

I used really cheap leather to prototype and then moved on to nicer stuff and added lining fabric.
87a91daeb27fbadcb93e9ebad7b0fe5a.jpg
b1bf90b95a4aa20b527edf327b1a1f72.jpg
cb43696a15c6232ade964f8ec3a970cb.jpg
b5fea5c8346eaf1c08d0d69100f7fd4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
e3b531fb5d6688dcf186a2bb5eabc57a.jpg

OP
M
Thanks! Yeah I had to just walk away a few times.

I don’t have a link but here’s the package. I used the Inca boot pattern then went with and modified.

Attachments

• IMG_3057.jpeg
    IMG_3057.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 34

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Amazing work. Love it.

For anyone considering it, if you have seen the custom mocassin makers at like a renaissance fair, they put a sock on your foot and then cover it in duct tape and mark spots on your foot. Cut the duct tape off and then make a pattern with it.

I used a cross between the duct tape for fit and the Inca style pattern.

Traded my last pair at the last Boy Scout Mountain Man rendezvous I went to. I need to make some more eventually.

WoodBow

WKR
Amazing work. Love it.

For anyone considering it, if you have seen the custom mocassin makers at like a renaissance fair, they put a sock on your foot and then cover it in duct tape and mark spots on your foot. Cut the duct tape off and then make a pattern with it.

I used a cross between the duct tape for fit and the Inca style pattern.

Traded my last pair at the last Boy Scout Mountain Man rendezvous I went to. I need to make some more eventually.
That's exactly how I have done my patterns in the past.

OP
M
They look great man. In the early covid days, I went down a rabbit hole trying to make some stalkasins that were a bit more converse like. I nailed the uppers, but couldn't ever come up with a design for the toe that I was happy with, and eventually abandoned the project.

I used really cheap leather to prototype and then moved on to nicer stuff and added lining fabric.

Man those uppers are sweet! That whole boot looks good too. I wasn’t able too get that far.

OP
M
I watched that lady in the striped britches while I was still determined to use my machine for all of it so I must’ve not payed enough attention. I’ll watch it again.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sewing by machine is not easy with some of the steps, especially with the attachment of the sole to upper around the toe with the gathers.

I have always done them by hand with a nifty little hole punch from Tandy that only puts a smalll hole. It’s different than the normal one that dials up big holes for laces.

WoodBow

WKR
I like those. They can be pretty hard on your feet if walking on much rock. Putting a standard shoe insole in them really helps.

OP
M
I put a piece of 9oz? Veg tan inside for the insole. So far I’ve just been in the gravel road but it handles that pretty well, and I’m probably more tenderfooted than most. Time will tell I guess.
IMG_3098.jpeg

WoodBow

WKR
Yea that should be fine. Mine always just had another piece the same thickness as the body and it sucked on white rock.

My other gripe was traction was terrible. A wet log is a death trap.

OP
M
Here’s my machine, needle, and thread but the short answer is yes you can do it, even without a machine. All the important stuff is hand stitched. The only parts I used the machine for were the boarders of the black leather and rolling the ankle cuff over. Which could all be hand stitched. That piece of black leather where the eyelets are isn’t even necessary, I just did it because I thought it looked cool and I really wanted to be able to use this machine for something. IMG_3099.jpegIMG_3100.jpegIMG_3101.jpeg

OP
M
Just look up leather supply stores in your area. I’m between Tulsa and okc and both each have a Tandy’s leather and a local non chain leather supplier. I go to the local guys.