Perishable skills

I took my daughter to the range last night to re-acclimate to shooting after a long hiatus. We’re preparing for late muzzleloader season and planned to rebuild confidence with the 10/22 first and then practice behind the muzzleloader.

The attached target is a good example of how perishable shooting skills can be. I fired at the center target first to sight in the rifle and make adjustments. Then I confirmed POI on the bottom left with a few rounds.

I turned the rifle over to her and she fired 25 rounds each into the top right then the top left and finally the bottom right. As we re-worked through breathing, squeezing the trigger, and follow through, her “pattern” improved dramatically by the last string of 25. She also realized that shooting through the scope with both eyes open reduced eye fatigue and increased her ability to focus. All in all great afternoon at the range and good lessons (re)learned.

Attachments

• IMG_5502.jpeg
    IMG_5502.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 110
Shooting is definitely a skill that needs constant attention to keep sharp on.

I feel like this is where having a .22 or .223 trainer set up identical to a larger caliber helps substantially with staying familiar with your system.

I go long stretches without doing any pistol practice and it shows big time. Way more than not getting out with a rifle for a month or so.

The only gun I've ever been able to not shoot for really long periods of time and come back to and shoot just as consistent after a few rounds is my old marlin model 60 that I've had since I was nine. Only reason I think I can still shoot it well is the fact that I'm most familiar with and have a round count on that rifle in the tens of thousands.

Good luck late muzzle loader season.

Will_m

WKR
Shooting is definitely a skill that needs constant attention to keep sharp on.

I feel like this is where having a .22 or .223 trainer set up identical to a larger caliber helps substantially with staying familiar with your system.

I go long stretches without doing any pistol practice and it shows big time. Way more than not getting out with a rifle for a month or so.

The only gun I've ever been able to not shoot for really long periods of time and come back to and shoot just as consistent after a few rounds is my old marlin model 60 that I've had since I was nine. Only reason I think I can still shoot it well is the fact that I'm most familiar with and have a round count on that rifle in the tens of thousands.

Good luck late muzzle loader season.
Would think the barrel would be toast by now.

It still shoots decent enough to head shot squirrels.
I don't know the exact round count but I'd say upwards of 20k. So maybe not tens of thousands but two tens of thousands lol.

From the ages of 9-13 I would go through at least four bricks a year. I'd get two for Christmas and two for my birthday usually, sometimes have to supplement in between with a brick or two.

Like Amos said above, practice the basics and build from there.

Practice practice practice is what keeps shooting skills sharp. No way to get around it or fake being a good shot.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
I have a "Depression" era Remington "Target Master", single shot .22 LR that belonged to my grampa. (1893-1974)
According to him, he worked for the contractor who "made" (?) U.S. Hwy 84 between Rusk and Palestine, TX.
At that time, much of the equipment was still horse drawn.
On weekends, you could volunteer to tend the livestock to earn extra money. Probably fifty cents a day!
They would have the guys that went home bring them a brick of .22 ammo.
After tending the livestock, they would go down along the Neches River and shoot their .22's.
I have NO idea just how many or how much .22 ammo that little rifle has digested!
The rear sight step is missing, but it is about as accurate as any .22 I've ever shot!

P.S. - it's sitting in my gun safe right now.
It will be there until I die!

Rich M

WKR
@sbaker0029 hit the nail on the head. Beware of the guy w 1 gun. We do have muscle memory and it depends how long we been working on it - and what we’re working on 100-200-500-1,000 yds.

Your daughter is doing well. Kudos to you for taking her!!! Hope you guys have a great hunt.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
@sbaker0029 hit the nail on the head. Beware of the guy w 1 gun. We do have muscle memory and it depends how long we been working on it - and what we’re working on 100-200-500-1,000 yds.

Your daughter is doing well. Kudos to you for taking her!!! Hope you guys have a great hunt.
Thank you all. Got shut out tonight, but we’ll be at it over the next several days.

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
Perishable for sure. I am fortunate enough to have a 600 yard range on my property. I've got 6 daughters who love to shoot and keep their skills tuned up for hunting season.

Attachments

• PXL_20230716_120712304.jpg
    PXL_20230716_120712304.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 6