MagnetoSpeed

Montucky

WKR
Who loves it? Who hates it?…..Barrel strap, shims, different sized screws. Fiddle with this & then fork around with that. Some shots read & then some muzzle blasts don’t. Not a Hater but there’s gotta be something coming out soon that’s better than this…….,

huntnful

WKR
Mine worked decent. I just didn't like how much it affected my POI and barrel harmonics. So the only data you could get while using it was only velocity. Now I use a Lab Radar, so I get my velocities, and can do load development at the same tight. I like it WAY more.

Chanimal

FNG
It’s a definitely a trade off. My experience with the magneto speed POI change is consistently 3-5” at 100yds for me. I end up using more components checking velocities because I can’t do a ladder or group testing while recording velocities.

But I’ve never had mine miss a shot. I didn’t spend the money on the Labrador because of the mixed reviews. I see a radar based chrono in my future because I like data.

I have a magneto speed v3 and I really like it for a few reasons.

1. It NEVER misses a shot with lead or monos in 17-33cal. It also always reads on my suppressed guns which I hear can be a small problem with a labradar.

2. I never shoot for groups and to chrono at the same time anyway so the poi shift issues aren’t an issue for me.

3. I shoot through a concrete tube a lot at our local range so I don’t think a Labradar would work for me anyway. Not bashing the labradar as I believe it’s much better for lots of people, just not for me.

Bottom line I would definitely buy it again for what I do.

Not for me:
- likely changes POI so can’t do velocity and accuracy testing together.
- not useable for handguns.
- not useable for arrows.

sndmn11

WKR
I've missed one 22lr shot and then adjusted the sensitivity.
I like it, I'd get a Labrador now, but when I got this the cost difference was worth it to me.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I don’t like the change in POI. Makes load development harder but it works great for its intended use! I’d like a Labradar but it has its drawbacks too. Much more expensive and I’ve heard you have to get it just right to get it to be reliable, especially suppressed.

excaliber

WKR
I have the Magnetospeed Sporter model and I'm very happy with it. I use it to check speeds on my workup loads while checking for pressure signs. Once I find my max load and adjust from there there is no use for the Magnetospeed. Once you have my final load figured out I put in on for three shots just to verify and call it good.

It's not designed to stay on the barrel as it will affect POI. I don't see the issue with it.

I've never missed a shot or had a bad reading. It's one of the best purchases I've made.

I use mine to find a velocity node or two. Then, I'll tweek powder weight for accuracy till I find optimal charge weight. After that, more tweeking to find best seating depth. When I have my final load, I'll run it over the MagnetoSpeed for final MV. It works great for what I do.

There are all kinds of mounting mods on the internet that negate distorting barrel harmonics.

To each his own. I’ve had the same shooting chrony for many years and like the versatility. Everything has drawbacks, I have to go in front of the firing line to set it up and the wind has tipped it over. I now use a more solid tripod to combat drawback #2.