Making your own dehydrated meals

So this is to kind of piggyback off the gluten free thread.

How many of you out there have made, or are making your own backpacking meals? (gluten free or not)

What ingredients, and processes are working? Freeze drying, dehydrating, etc etc.

unm1136

WKR
Patrick's essays, combined with the amount of rabbits, squirrels, snakes, and birds I see in the woods have me taking a couple of cups of home dried beans, rice, and veg. In a pinch they can be eaten dry, or rehydrated in a simple meat free stew. I have a Ruger MKIII pistol and a tax stamp/suppressor. A can of bug spray and a couple of zip top bags and it is now a meaty stew. I always have zip top bags and assorted seasonings, and a small container of oil. During the hike in I generally jump enough rabbits/squirrels at about 5-20 yards to make this approach pay off. This will also mark the first year I make Patrick's cassarole. Corned meat hash, chili, and stews can be fed into sausage casings for lightweight, ready to eat, biodegradablefodstuffs. This year with the daughter will be homemade corned beef hash with dehydrated eggs and tortillas for breakfast.

pat

colonel00

WKR
I made up a bunch for our caribou hunt last year off the Haul Rd. I used this site (http://www.backpackingchef.com/) as a starting point for many of them. The chili was pretty good and I added some dehydrated peppers to kick it up a bit. I also dehydrated spaghetti with meat sauce which came out great. Many of the other ramen/macaroni meals are alright but it takes a little personal touch to make them to your liking. They aren't super calorie dense but you can add to that. I also made up a "Thanksgiving Dinner" with dehydrated turkey, Idahoan potatoes, stuffing and gravy mix. Came out pretty good too.

Also, check out the section on enhanced meals. Essentially you can take prepackaged dry meals from the store and add dehydrated meats and veggies to them and then portion to your liking. For instance, on one you take beef stroganoff and add dehydrated ground beef and veggies. Then just add your boiling water and you have a simple meal.