What would it take?

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I know there is a HEATED thread trying to fix the nonresident hate already in existence. But that thread failed to achieve what it was intended for andI’m making an effort to do that!

So for this thread I ask everyone to set aside any kind of anger or resentment and try have an open mind.

As a nonresident of 49 states that absolutely loves western big game hunting, what could I do to not only be accepted in your state, but how could i and those like me, make it better. What would it take to earn your trust and respect.

Once we figure that out, we can start fixing the issue.

For example,

Volunteer for projects

Fundraising

Just being more neighborly in the woods

Etc

What would it take for you to say, “ You know, them fellows are alright. In fact, they’re practically just like me.”

My goal is that we will stick together as hunters across our entire country. Because we ain’t all that different and are all wanting basically the same things

“For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5‬:‭14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I know I could do a better job loving others

Last edited:

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
People in real life don't mind non residents. If they do they aren't the kinda folks that listen to logic and are normal stable people anyway.

You CAN NEVER be local enough for internet warriors or the guy in the other truck that wants to hunt your spot. Here in Idaho you can tell what county someone is from by there license plate. If I am parked at a trailhead in Island Park a dude from Ashton or Idaho Falls is gonna say non-locals are taking his spot.

People are tribal and competition for scarce good hunting makes them more so.

OP
Backcountry_Preacher

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
People in real life don't mind non residents. If they do they aren't the kinda folks that listen to logic and are normal stable people anyway.

You CAN NEVER be local enough for internet warriors or the guy in the other truck that wants to hunt your spot. Here in Idaho you can tell what county someone is from by there license plate. If I am parked at a trailhead in Island Park a dude from Ashton or Idaho Falls is gonna say non-locals are taking his spot.

People are tribal and competition for scarce good hunting makes them more so.

I agree %110 of with what you’re saying. We are the same way here in Louisiana. When I see someone from south Louisiana hunting here in my home parish, I want to go grab the torch and pitch forks haha

But ultimately it’s not helping anyone. We got to be able to look past our emotions and see the bigger picture and what’s at stake when we don’t unify together

Last edited:

bradyhunt

FNG
I know what won't solve it, thats arguing about it on the internet. This thread will devolve into the same argument as any other on the broad subject.

Humans are competitive by nature, throw in competition over a limited resource and it becomes less than friendly competition.

The same things that "fixes this issue" is the same thing that will bring world peace and end all suffering.

All I really care is don't throw out/leave trash.
Don't burn out/tear up roads/drive to fast.
Dont drive where your not supposed to.
Don't try to beat someone to animals they are obviously working.
If you make a plan on how you are going to share an area with someone, stick to the plan and don't blow everything up when you see/,hear animals in the area you agreed to let them work.

OP
Backcountry_Preacher

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I know what won't solve it, thats arguing about it on the internet. This thread will devolve into the same argument as any other on the broad subject.

Humans are competitive by nature, throw in competition over a limited resource and it becomes less than friendly competition.

The same things that "fixes this issue" is the same thing that will bring world peace and end all suffering.
Agreed! I don’t wish this thread to turn into an argument platform. Which is why I stated that in the beginning.

I might not fix the issue, but at least I can say I did my best to try to. That’s all a man can do!

Maybe its just me but as a non resident to the west, when I see a non resident hunting my state I tend to think "Good for them for getting after it". My son and I ran into some guys from Cape Cod MA hunting state land in the Catskills of NY for early bear last year. Got to meet up with them and shoot the bull for a bit. Good guys and we gave eachother some space on the mountain.

OP
Backcountry_Preacher

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Maybe its just me but as a non resident to the west, when I see a non resident hunting my state I tend to think "Good for them for getting after it". My son and I ran into some guys from Cape Cod MA hunting state land in the Catskills of NY for early bear last year. Got to meet up with them and shoot the bull for a bit. Good guys and we gave eachother some space on the mountain.
Honestly, I’ve yet to meet anyone out hunting, resident or non, that I didn’t find to be all around jam up people. I’ve made a lot friends out there. Never had a bad experience with other hunters

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Personally in all of the states I've ever hunted I've never had a bad interaction with resident hunters while out in the woods, at a trail head or at a local bar. I think the majority of the dislike if you will for nonresidents doesn't go towards the average joe but more towards the guys paying $10k plus for a hunt on private ground and the outfitters that have leased up formerly accessible private land the resident once hunted. Overcrowding is a real thing and I think nonresident hunters are an easy out for resident to blame it on. But when I hunt in any western state probably 95% of the license plates I see are in state.

I enjoy hunting content as much as the next guy, but I'll say the majority of problems would likely fade away if hunting tv, youtube/IG influencers disappeared. The possibility of making money or gaining reputation off of hunting is causing more people to be out for the wrong reasons and also leads to more demand for private access. Just my two cents

7mm-08

WKR
Everyone wants their cake and they want to eat it too. What I will say is that the vast majority of Idaho hunters I observe are lazy as hell - and they resent nonresident hunters for busting a hump and killing animals in tough spots away from the road. As BRTredogs pointed out in his post, you just can't win as a nonresident hunter. For me, all you have to do be is a decent guy to be accepted and, more importantly, respected. Resident or nonresident. I've had Idaho and nonresident hunters cut in front of me on a bull they know I'm chasing - boorish behavior that is not acceptable. I had a great experience with three nonresident hunters a few years back, which forevermore shaped my perspective on this subject. I killed a bull and was alone - in my early 60's, all of 5'06" and 135 soaking wet. I was packing parts of him out and these three east coast guys came huffing up the trail as I was headed downhill on my way to the truck. We stopped and chatted and they offered to help with the packing chore. They'd never seen a live elk before and were as excited as anyone I've ever seen to see the dead one I was (partially) carrying. Incredibly, they dumped their shit right there and helped me pack the remainder of the bull to my truck. I asked them where they were intending to camp and as soon as I got the bull to a nearby town and into a meat locker, I returned to help them. And help them I did. Maybe it was karma or some other universal force, but two of the three killed bulls in the next three days. I camped with them, helped them with elk tactics and they held up their end of the bargain by shooting straight. A great experience had by all. They thanked me profusely and implemented some of the tactics I taught them in the next few days after I left to score on yet another bull. Moral to the story - there are good and not so good people in the world. Some are residents and some are nonresidents. I've learned over the yeras to treat everyone well and hope they do the same. If they don't then its bad on them.

OP
Backcountry_Preacher

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Everyone wants their cake and they want to eat it too. What I will say is that the vast majority of Idaho hunters I observe are lazy as hell - and they resent nonresident hunters for busting a hump and killing animals in tough spots away from the road. As BRTredogs pointed out in his post, you just can't win as a nonresident hunter. For me, all you have to do be is a decent guy to be accepted and, more importantly, respected. Resident or nonresident. I've had Idaho and nonresident hunters cut in front of me on a bull they know I'm chasing - boorish behavior that is not acceptable. I had a great experience with three nonresident hunters a few years back, which forevermore shaped my perspective on this subject. I killed a bull and was alone - in my early 60's, all of 5'06" and 135 soaking wet. I was packing parts of him out and these three east coast guys came huffing up the trail as I was headed downhill on my way to the truck. We stopped and chatted and they offered to help with the packing chore. They'd never seen a live elk before and were as excited as anyone I've ever seen to see the dead one I was (partially) carrying. Incredibly, they dumped their shit right there and helped me pack the remainder of the bull to my truck. I asked them where they were intending to camp and as soon as I got the bull to a nearby town and into a meat locker, I returned to help them. And help them I did. Maybe it was karma or some other universal force, but two of the three killed bulls in the next three days. I camped with them, helped them with elk tactics and they held up their end of the bargain by shooting straight. A great experience had by all. They thanked me profusely and implemented some of the tactics I taught them in the next few days after I left to score on yet another bull. Moral to the story - there are good and not so good people in the world. Some are residents and some are nonresidents. I've learned over the yeras to treat everyone well and hope they do the same. If they don't then its bad on them.
Well said!

RONDO264

FNG

100% agree with 7mm-08. I've had great experiences with NR/Res and bad experiences with NR/Res. I always treat everyone as respectfully as possible and hope it's reciprocated, most of the time it is, in my experiences.