Maps

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure which gear section to put this in because it applies to all.

What maps do you guys use for back country hunting for Colorado specifically? USGS? Others?

Hike&Hunt

FNG
I use the national geographic TOPO! Software to save images of quad level maps then stitch them together in Photoshop. It takes a bit of time but allows me to have a custom quad with all my notes and waypoints from scouting plotted on it. I print it off at kinkos then use clear contact paper to laminate it so it's waterproof.

COR

FNG
I use MYTOPO and create custom ones that cover the areas we are in. You can get them rolled, folded, laminated or whatever. Different sizes too.

dotman

WKR
The National Geographic trail maps are the best I have found for field use.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/...recreation-maps/colorado?categoryLevelId=A106

I do have a pile of the USGS maps at home though.

X2... I looked at my topo recently and for the price they really do not offer more then what the Nat Geo maps as far as what you need to know, yes they have added features. Nat Geo if they have a map in your area (think they pretty much cover the entire state of CO) are very high quality and show pretty accurate info for $12. Otherwise I just use the gps.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
The MYTOPO maps are good. If however you make your own maps just make sure that if you are putting several map pieces together and then having them printed off somewhere that the scale is still correct. If not then using a map tool to plot points or determine azimuths could be way off.