Mathews Atlas stabilizer length

Shutler

FNG
First year with the Mathews Atlas elk hunting in CO this past season. Currently running a 9” front stabilizer and was curious to see what others were running, especially if they were shorter, for mountain hunting. Appreciate any feedback

Stabilizers are a personal thing. Everyone is different.

What works for me stands a good chance of not working for someone else. Personally I think for a hunting bow you are best to use the least you can get away with.

If you aren’t willing to put a 10-12” bar out front you might as well just use a little stub to dampen vibration. Short bars don’t really stabilize

Holocene

WKR
I switched to 15” front / 10” rear this year and won’t look back.

For the Atlas, which is so big, you’d want the mechanical advantage of long stabs to see real effects.

Overall, you end up with a heavier bow, but it’s not that hard to manage in the woods (and I hunt the Oregon coast, which I’ll hazard is the nastiest and thickest terrain in America).

If most of your shots are 35 yards and in, shoot whatever you like. But as shots get longer, the longer stab setup will quiet your pin float, reduce torque on shot, and should result in improved downrange accuracy at distance and reduce those WTF fliers.

A balanced, tested stab setup is like a heavy rifle on shooting bags. Just shoots better.

Levi Morgan has a good video:

Jesse Broadwater’s Vimeo series (you have to pay for it) has the best how to guide on dialing in a stabilizer setup. His tips are for target bows, but the steps are the same.

OP
S

Shutler

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try a few different stabilizers this year and see how they affect my accuracy. Right now, I’m the weak link on accuracy, not the stabilizer or any other piece of gear.

OP
S

Shutler

FNG
You remember how long and with how much weight? Anything would be appreciated in expediting the trial and error on my part