Maven B.6 12x50 vs Vortex Razor HD, and UHD 12x50 ***Updated 1/23/22***

nobody

WKR
Agreed, very close indeed. Several have looked through both and some gave the edge to the Maven, some gave the edge to the Vortex. They are both sweet glass for sure!

But I question, have you been comparing the Maven to the Razor HD or UHD, there is a difference there as well.
Wondering the same. The Maven's and the UHD's are very VERY similar, almost identical. But the HD lags behind them both IME.

Ithaca37

FNG
But I question, have you been comparing the Maven to the Razor HD or UHD, there is a difference there as well.

Great point and yes I should be very clear...I am comparing the Vortex Razor HD to the Maven B.6. Those two models both have Schmidt-Pechan prisms.

The Vortex Razor UHD on the other hand, with an Abbe-Koenig prism, is an entirely different animal and is a step above both the Razor HD and Maven B.6. Maven's equivalent model would be the B.2 which also carries an Abbe-Koenig prism.

In summary:
  • Schmidt-Pechan prisms: Vortex Razor HD & Maven B.6
  • Abbe-Koenig prisms: Vortex Razor UHD & Maven B.2
Generally speaking, Abbe-Koenig are slightly brighter and crisper than Schmidt-Pechan since the number of times they reflect light is less, but they are generally longer & heavier in form factor.

Agreed, very close indeed. Several have looked through both and some gave the edge to the Maven B.6, some gave the edge to the Vortex Razor UHD. They are both sweet glass for sure!

I put the Razor UHD above the Maven B.6 which was slightly better than the Razor HD.
Just an old pair of made in Japan Razor HDs. I haven't looked thru a set of UHDs just in case I like they way they look.

Firehawk

WKR
I have a pair of B6 9x45 and they are great!
I think you mean you have a B2 9x45. And yes they are really really good. I used them for 6+ years with excellent results.

The B6 is the newer models in 10x50 and 12x. They use the Schmidt prism instead of the B2's AK prism. They are the big brother to the new B1.2 in 8x42 and 10x42. Buddy sold his B2 11x45 in favor of the B1.2 10x42. Glass was really close, but the compactness of the B1.2 won him over.