Maven RF.1 Long term Review?

jakeuac

FNG
Hello all, I have the opportunity to pick up an RF.1 for 325 bucks. At that price, is there anything else that can compete? Not concerned about size, it will fit in my Sitka harness no problem, just wanted to see if there has been long-term love for this fairly new rangefinder.

elkguide

WKR
Don't like the size of the adjustment knob on the side but the range finder works great. Easy to get readings at long distances. (got deer at 2840 yards in Idaho last fall)

OP
J

jakeuac

FNG
Don't like the size of the adjustment knob on the side but the range finder works great. Easy to get readings at long distances. (got deer at 2840 yards in Idaho last fall)
That's good to hear! Is the issue with the knob hanging up on things? I was thinking the large knob could work as a plus when wearing gloves, but wouldn't imagine messing with the settings all that much in the field.

elkguide

WKR
Once I'm set, I don't find myself messing with the knob. I like to stick my range finder in a shirt pocket when stalking and it is a pain to put in and pull out. Other than that, it's a great range finder.

axeforce6

WKR
You better buy that before whoever is selling it changes their mind. Great glass and ranges really well. The knob is a tad big but not a huge issue for me. I do like how you can switch from field to woods. It ranged through some brush when my other wouldn’t. Like stated above, I used it last year to range up to 1800 yards quite easily.

Last edited:
I have really enjoyed this rangefinder and order it over the razor 4,000. I also like the knob as it’s super fast to change brightness.

OP
J

jakeuac

FNG
Once I'm set, I don't find myself messing with the knob. I like to stick my range finder in a shirt pocket when stalking and it is a pain to put in and pull out. Other than that, it's a great range finder.
Thanks for that clarification. I don’t plan on the shirt pocket, I bought the Sitka harness specifically to accommodate a larger range finder, binos and my InReach when stalking. Sounds like it should fit the bill! Thanks!

OP
J

jakeuac

FNG
I have used it since they came out and wrote the review here. https://www.rokslide.com/maven-rf-1-rangefinder-review/

I have grown to love the knob since it allows intuitive brightness changes. Several friends have them now and I am unaware of any complaints functionally or ergonomically once the right pouch is used. I can see a hiccup like @elkguide mentions with putting it in a shirt pocket.
I remember reading that review last year. I think this rangefinder is going to be the one for me!

OP
J

jakeuac

FNG
I have really enjoyed this rangefinder and order it over the razor 4,000. I also like the knob as it’s super fast to change brightness.
Thanks Kyle, I have used the lower end Vortex but was not too impressed, they felt like toys over tools to me!

OP
J

jakeuac

FNG
You better buy that before whoever is selling it changes their mind. Great glass and ranges really well. The knob is a tad big but not a huge issue for me. I do like how you can switch from field to woods. It ranged through some brush when my other wouldn’t. Like stated above, I used it last year to range up to 1800 yards quite easily.
I like the long distance features like that, will be much easier to get my distances vs using base maps to see distance between ridges!

OP
J

jakeuac

FNG
Update, really enjoying this rangefinder and then some! Was goofing off in the mountains the other day and was able to range a semi off of 395, 4545 yards!