Max range with fixed pins.

Mtrain

FNG
I’m interested in people’s thoughts and solutions. I’m fairly new to the bow and am running a five pin spot Hogg. I’ve been practicing at 60 and wondering about options for shooting further so my questions are.
1 what sort of range do most people start to max out at for practice(I know this is a can of worms)?

2 What distance does gaping the pins become impractical for hunting. Not saying I would try that distance.

3 what do others do who only want to shoot moderate distance hunting but would like to practice longer to improve.

Ive been looking at the Iq define pro which has a range finder built onto a seven pin sight and wondered how useful fixed pins would be trying to shoot say 74 yards.
Thanks all.

So with a spot Hogg hunter 7 pin, large housing, 20 pin maxed out at the top, and shooting a whopping 343 fps I’m able to reach out to 75. If I were to move my sight as far back as the bracket allowed I could get 80.

As far as bracketing at those longer ranges goes, it’s totally possible to be hunting accurate. Just practice and be able to “see” the trajectory of your arrows through your pins.

If you want to practice even longer you can move your housing down and say have your first pin at 40 and go from there. Just make sure you’re getting good clearance.

All that said if I wasn’t a cheap b*stard I’d buy a spot Hogg 7 pin slider and make life a little easier.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I use my bubble for 70 on a 5 pin fixed sight. I am about 6" high and it's spot on. Not a particularly fast bow and only 57 lb draw weight.

EDIT: I won't do that hunting but do weekly on the range.

1) When I started getting serious into archery in 2017 I would shoot a lot at 60 after I felt comfortable at closer ranges. IMO if you are pin gapping it is not the same as settling your pin on the target.

2) I personally think you can gap out to in between your last two pins if you have decent speed. I shot an antelope at 56 yards shooting 260fps with a 5 pin 20-60.

3) If you are stuck on fix pins you can get a 7 pin or you can set up your 5 pin 30-70 if your speed allows the adjustment in the sight. However, if you want to practice farther and be confident I would recommend picking up a slider. I just don't feel comfortable using a pin jumping/trick pin to shoot out past my pins.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Black Gold Verdict 5-pin slider from S&S Archery https://sandsarchery.com/collection...lack-gold-ascent-verdict-custom-archery-sight

My hunting arrows are pretty heavy (527 grains). About 265 fps. The gaps start getting pretty wide past 40, so I have the pins set for 20, 30, 40, 45, and 50. I use the 50 as my slider past that distance.

I wanted to have a pin for hunting situations without having to dial, but I wanted the capability to dial if/when necessary. The 5-pin slider with pins out to 50 works well for me for that. I hope to limit shots to 50 and under anyway, but there might be a rare occasion with a calm animal in light wind where I might be willing to reach out a little farther and would have time to dial in a distance.

Last week, I was fortunate to kill an elk. He hung up and started to turn around at 75 yards. My guides kept calling and the elk turned back around and came in to 45 yards. No need to dial anything.

I practice at distances out to 100. I wouldn't shoot at an animal at 100, but practicing at long distance makes the shorter distances feel easier.

Last edited:

264win

WKR
Most modern compound bows shoot flat enough to have the first pin at 30yds and only be an inch or 2 high at 20.
With a seven pin you can have pins to 90 and use the level as well.
I wouldn’t consider shooting a deer or elk at those ranges but it’s fun for targets and varmints

dkime

WKR
I’m interested in people’s thoughts and solutions. I’m fairly new to the bow and am running a five pin spot Hogg. I’ve been practicing at 60 and wondering about options for shooting further so my questions are.
1 what sort of range do most people start to max out at for practice(I know this is a can of worms)?

2 What distance does gaping the pins become impractical for hunting. Not saying I would try that distance.

3 what do others do who only want to shoot moderate distance hunting but would like to practice longer to improve.

Ive been looking at the Iq define pro which has a range finder built onto a seven pin sight and wondered how useful fixed pins would be trying to shoot say 74 yards.
Thanks all.

Practice as far as I can, but mostly for the application of archery rather than bowhunting. When I first started shooting 50yds was about the max distance that I would practice at. These days for bowhunting 50 is where most of my reps come from. I can tell more about my tune at this distance as opposed to 30-20

Understanding your trajectory is going to answer the second question for you. For a 5 pin, assuming you're shooting a compound in the standard 330IBO range with an average hunting weight shaft I probably wouldn't stretch it much past 60 in hunting situations with fixed pins. My reason behind saying this has to do with the amount of drop you are seeing per yard after this distance. Even if you began splitting pins into 5yd increments, the gap between them of 2.5yds is enough to eclipse the kill zone of most animals. (540gr 265fps shaft drops around 16" from 60-65yds)

Reps and reps and reps at your most effective distance. Start doing everything you can to cut down your group size at these distances. The 2 most important things you learn from reps is how your DL impacts your group size, and how your tune impacts your group size.

I'm shooting a fixed 5 pin set from 20-60 since that is what I'll shoot in any hunting situation. On the range I'll shoot out to 100 with the oh so precise method of putting my 60 pin on the target, looking at where the 20 pin is, and then moving the 60 pin to that location and let it fly. Very impractical for hunting but a lot of fun at the range.

Zac

WKR
I don't think there is any problem with setting your first pin at 30 and your fifth at 70. You shouldn't need to shoot any further at this point. I am thinking of using this myself, not a huge fan of sight tapes.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
Its already been mentioned. I run the spot hogg 7pin hunter with my top pin at 40 and bottom pin 100. I'm shooting a 32" draw length at 80# with my arrows flying at 310 through a chrono. 20 is usually 4 inches high, 30 hits 1.5 inches high. Most shots that will present themselves where I hunt are 40-60 so practicing at 100 really boosts the confidence.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks all.
My thoughts on multi pin sights is a 3 pin slider is perfect in the realm of hunting. If your setup is shooting above 260 fps sight in your pins a 30, 40, and 50 yards. Use the 30 yard pin for anything from 30 yards and under. Anything under 30 yards the highest your arrow will hit will be about 5.5 inches. Then your gaps between 30-40 and 40-50 arn't so far apart that you can gap shoot and anything past 50 yards use the slider. Of course the 5.5 inches I am talking about is for roughly 260fps as you get faster it will become less. But in the whole realm of hunting 5.5 inches hard to get use to.

The reason why I pick 50 yards as my cut off point is because me as a hunter I won't shoot past 50 yards unless it is a almost perfect scenario or near perfect in regards to wind, animals demeanor, how tired I am at the time of the shot etc etc. Generally anything past 50 yards you need to really get a good range and take your time on the shot. Which means you should have enough time to move your slider to that range.

Also another con to a 3 pin slider or a 5 or 7 pin is your sight doesn't get as cluttered. This helps alot when it becomes low light.

Just my opinion.

Gumbo

WKR
I shoot a 6-pin slider (10-70) because 70 is my max hunting shot. I practice a little further, out to 100, but over 90% of my practice shots are at 70 yards. I'm at about 270 fps and wouldn't be super comfortable gapping beyond that at my fps. Essentially my slider is fixed except for the occasional long-range practice group or when i want to dial to a precise gap shot (i.e. 55 yards) so I can hold directly on target (although this is only at the 3D range, I've not done it hunting).

OP
M

Mtrain

FNG
Awesome, thanks for those replies. I have experimented a while ago shooting my 30 pin from twenty etc and there wasn’t much in it. I might explore that option again maybe try the 25-30 yard first pin. Then I have an extra ten yards in my pins which will keep me busy practicing out to 70 for a while.
Thanks

HookUp

WKR
I was a single pin shooter for years. just picked up the Option archery 8 pin and man I love this thing! I have set pins out to 80 and can dial to 110 yards.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So with a spot Hogg hunter 7 pin, large housing, 20 pin maxed out at the top, and shooting a whopping 343 fps I’m able to reach out to 75. If I were to move my sight as far back as the bracket allowed I could get 80.

There's something wrong with your setup. I've been using a 7 pin SH Hunter for years now. I always set my sights up starting with the middle pin directly in the middle of the sight housing, and then set all the other pins from there. I shoot a 520gr arrow around 290fps and have no problem setting my 80 yard pin, and it's not all the way to the bottom of the housing. And my 20 yard pin is nowhere near the top of the housing. This is close to my typical setup........I shoot it year round and shooting any ranged distance out to 90 is not a problem at all.
100_2789.JPG

Beendare

WKR
You have a couple good options with 5 fixed pins;

1.Set your bubble to act as your long range pin; I've set my bubble to 100yds [with a 25,40,50,60,70 large Spot Hogg ring] then you can gap shoot the ranges between 70-100

2. Learn how to 'STACK YOUR PINS'. It takes a little practice at long range to know exactly what they are doing but the short explanation is this; Say you only have a 70 yd pin and you want to shoot 90 yds. You hold your bow at FD with the 70 yd pin on the target. While holding notice the exact spot where your 50yd pin is, then raise the 70 to that spot and shoot. [you count backwards, then raise your last pin, so if it was 100 yds you raise your 70 to where the 40 was....etc]

Now every bow is different, stacking might not put you dead on but this gets you in the ballpark. With some practice you can determine what to do to be very accurate stacking pins at long ranges.

FWIW, my buddy just missed a 5 point bull- twice- with his Montana Black gold slider, the gear mechanism got mangled with something caught in there somehow and his first shot at the bull went 3' over its back.

bignocks

FNG
Maybe its already mentioned but keep in mind your peep height and how you anchor can greatly affect your distance with a slider. Example I went from 5 pin fixed (60yd max) to a 3 pin slider and I only can get it to 80yds but my buddy with a similar setup can get over 90 yards because of how his face anchors and sits on the string etc. I hope this makes sense.

There's something wrong with your setup. I've been using a 7 pin SH Hunter for years now. I always set my sights up starting with the middle pin directly in the middle of the sight housing, and then set all the other pins from there. I shoot a 520gr arrow around 290fps and have no problem setting my 80 yard pin, and it's not all the way to the bottom of the housing. And my 20 yard pin is nowhere near the top of the housing. This is close to my typical setup........I shoot it year round and shooting any ranged distance out to 90 is not a problem at all.
View attachment 123752
Typo, I meant 243 fps.

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a fast eddie double pin this year. Arrow is 407 grains shooting about 280 fps. Top pin is 28, second pin is 40. I can comfortably gap shoot from 0-60 yards. Lowest I can dial the sight to is 85 yards on the second pin without the vanes hitting the sight.