Meopta new binoc?

The new MeoPro Air binos should be very nice and on par with the MeoStar binos. They will be lighter with the open bridge design which should be very nice. I plan to step up to the MeoStar B1 Plus binos when they show up. Unfortunately, there is not much info available thus far. Meopta is still planning on an August delivery of both the Optika5 scopes and binos. This should be a big summer and Fall for Meopta fans.

Meopta Optika5 4-20x50

Besides the open bridge concept, what will be the difference between the Meopro Air and the Meostar B1 Plus??

pc3

WKR
I'm hoping the new meopta b plus 15's will use the Abbe–Koenig prism

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
FYI. Got this information from Meopta the other day. I'm going to give the MeoPro Air 8x42 a try.

"The MeoPro Air is an open bridge design binocular that comes in a little bit lighter than the MeoStar of equivalent magnification / objective size. The glass in the MeoPro Air is equivalent to what is currently in the MeoStar B1.1. The MeoStar will be getting a facelift and some internal upgrades. The rubber armoring will be improved for better grip and a more user friendly design, and internally there will be changes to manufacturing tolerances and design specs to provide a more durable optic and improved viewing (no changes to the glass, however). The MeoPro Air is scheduled to deliver around the end of September. The MeoStar B1 Plus will be arriving in September as well; these are already heading into production so we are hoping it will be early September that we see them in the U.S."

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

FYI. Got this information from Meopta the other day. I'm going to give the MeoPro Air 8x42 a try.

"The MeoPro Air is an open bridge design binocular that comes in a little bit lighter than the MeoStar of equivalent magnification / objective size. The glass in the MeoPro Air is equivalent to what is currently in the MeoStar B1.1. The MeoStar will be getting a facelift and some internal upgrades. The rubber armoring will be improved for better grip and a more user friendly design, and internally there will be changes to manufacturing tolerances and design specs to provide a more durable optic and improved viewing (no changes to the glass, however). The MeoPro Air is scheduled to deliver around the end of September. The MeoStar B1 Plus will be arriving in September as well; these are already heading into production so we are hoping it will be early September that we see them in the U.S."

Of course all of this 2 weeks after I purchase a brand new Meostar B1.1

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info Ben. I am curious if the Meostar B1 plus will have the same 22mm eye relief of the Meopro Air. I will get whichever ones has the greatest eye relief unless they have the same I will get the stars.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
all of this 2 weeks after I purchase a brand new

I wouldn't sweat it too much. At least you'll have your new B1.1s for this hunting season! Sounds like we won't see the new ones until the end of archery season (Idaho). And I'm not really sure if the "Plus" models will really have much different view (if any). I also imagine they might weigh a little more, but we'll see!

Thanks for the info Ben. I am curious if the Meostar B1 plus will have the same 22mm eye relief of the Meopro Air. I will get whichever ones has the greatest eye relief unless they have the same I will get the stars.

No prob. I'm not sure about any of the B1.1 Plus specifications (eye relief, FOV, etc.); however, It sounds like they'll probably be very much the same as the B1 and B1.1 (17.4mm). And, still, the 8x B1.1 Plus glass will NOT be "HD." They'll have B1.1 Plus in 8x32, 8x42 and 8x56, and the B1.1 Plus "HD" in 10x42, 12x50 and 15x56. I would have been super interested in the B1.1 Plus 8x42 if it was HD glass (which I gather equates to different lens coatings). I don't know how accurate this is, but from what I've read on the Bird forums, Meopta couldn't go "HD" on all their binoculars due to contractual agreements (Cabela's?), so they refrained from making their Meostar 8x binos HD. I've used both their HD and non-HD glass, and prefer the view through what they call HD (I don't think it's just a gimmick). I try not to bug the Meopta guys too much... figure I'll just give the MeoPro Air (MPA) a go since they're lighter, cheaper, and supposedly the glass is on par with the previous MeoStar B1.1, and it's "HD" glass. Maybe I'm assuming/hypothesizing too much. I also checked the specs of the new MPA against the B1 8x42, Meopro and Optika 8x42s... and they don't match up with anything in current production at all -- leading me to believe it's basically an all new design altogether. I'm hopeful the MPA is going to be a great value.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
And, still, the 8x B1.1 Plus glass will NOT be "HD." They'll have B1.1 Plus in 8x32, 8x42 and 8x56, and the B1.1 Plus "HD" in 10x42, 12x50 and 15x56. I would have been super interested in the B1.1 Plus 8x42 if it was HD glass (which I gather equates to different lens coatings).

It’s not a coating. Meopta’s HD nomenclature refers to Extra-Low Dispersion glass elements in the objective assembly (at least for the B1s in 10x, 12x, and 15x).

This reduces color fringing from chromatic aberration. The B1 HD models are excellent in this area.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not a coating. Meopta’s HD nomenclature refers to Extra-Low Dispersion glass elements in the objective assembly (at least for the B1s in 10x, 12x, and 15x).

This reduces color fringing from chromatic aberration. The B1 HD models are excellent in this area.
Thanks for clarifying -- *smacking forehead with palm of hand

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
What I found on the bird forums is that the B1 Plus will have MeoLux coatings (instead of MeoBright), which should give better light transmission, etc. but otherwise be mostly the same as the B1.1

And there's also rumors of a completely new designed Meopta top-tier bino that's probably not coming out until 2021 that supposedly will be called the B2. Who knows?

I think Meopta had big plans to step up their game this spring/summer, but the C-Virus really set them back.

I've read much the same.
-From my understanding, the The MeoPro Air's are actually going to be made with some outsourced components but assembled in Czech much like the MeoPro's, thus their cheaper price compared to the B1.1

- B1 Plus is going to have similar HD optics to the B1.1 but with their new rifle scope Meolux coating added to aid low light performance, along with a different body style although this "new" body style was actually designed some time ago.

-The next generation glass which is being called B2 was initially slated to come out this fall as well but due to Covid will now be a 2021 release. The optics in the B2 line are hoped to push Meopta into the true Alpha class.

A quote from the Meopta product manager: " B1.1 and B1Plus are based on a concept of MeoStar B1 being more than 15 years on the market. B2 definitely represents the new binocular generation and it is sure it will attract most of B1 customers. For those who are looking for more cost effective solution there will be MeoPro Air. So I think B1 Plus demand will naturally fade down after launching B2 and MeoPro Air....B2 is designed to compete the top models on the market."

It wouldn't suprise me if the B2's are an open hinge design as well with their new highest level glass, perhaps flat field, but 100% made by Meopta with no outsourced parts just like the B1 lines.

It seems the leadership at Meopta is attempting to change their lineup to a more modern design and weight that can compete directly with the best of the big three. With Nikon apparently stepping away from the Alpha market, it would be a perfect time for Meopta to make such a move.

Matt G.

WKR
How would they compare to the SLC's or genesis? I do like the B1s but all this talk in the forum is going to cost me money.... Looking at the specs the light transmission has not improved.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
How would they compare to the SLC's or genesis? I do like the B1s but all this talk in the forum is going to cost me money.... Looking at the specs the light transmission has not improved.

Are you asking about the MeoPro Airs? or the B1 Plus? Both will use the same glass as the existing B1.1's. The Plus will just add Meolux coating for added low light performance. The Air's will use B1.1 level glass in a cheaper, yet lighter imported magnesium open bridge housing. Not sure if the glass is outsourced as well. It's the yet to be seen B2's that will raise the bar optically along with a Czech made new housing design.

Last edited:

Matt G.

WKR
Sorry...looks like the the plus and b1s have the same transmission...