Merino Base layers

btplass

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running first lite and love them, you can get some deals on classifieds or the first lite buy sell trade Facebook group. But I just ordered some black ovis merino from camofire, and it seems pretty awesome. Got some for my dad and brother too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kumplocke

FNG
+1 Minus 33, I try to purchase a few pieces a year. I have a few black Ovis tops that I will be testing out this season as well. They appear to be great quality.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve tried a few different brands. I have two Black Ovis shirts that I’ve used for the last two seasons. Seem pretty durable. I just ordered their hoody off camofire and had to exchange it. I wear a L/XL in every brand, including the other B. O. stuff. Had to go up to a 3XL to get it to fit right. But overall I’d highly recommend their stuff for the value you’re getting.

Tower

FNG
+ for Black Ovis brand, especially if you’re just trying out Marino. And they do run a bit small (at least last years stock). I had to size up to XXl on the T shirts. Tried the hoodie but even the 3XL was a bit snug for my taste. I actually prefer their liner glove over First Lite’s due to the silicone gripper dots.

That said, the FL gear is fantastic and I have no issues with sizing - it runs true to me across the board, at least in the pieces I have.

Fireman5569

Lil-Rokslider
+ 1 for black ovis love the hoodie 250 gr per yard and is an awesome base and mid layer, +1 for ice breakers too great stuff.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Check out first lites aerowool. I'm pretty new to the whole technical layering system game but so far on a few hikes and scouting trips I've been very happy with the stuff I've baught from them. Comfortable, fits well, and performs as expected. Tack that on to the other thousands of positive comments others have about FL clothing and you should have the confidence your looking for to give it a try.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've found that First Lite's merino blends are much more comfortable than others (especially Kuiu because it's scratchy on my skin). I would highly suggest that you not get straight merino. Pure merino dries slower. Pure merino might have a little less stink, depending on the individual. Pure merino doesn't recover from stretching and bounce back as well as synthetic (this is most important with underwear).

Mike 338

WKR
I picked up some Black Ovis. I noticed the waistband on one pair of bottoms ripping out almost immediately. Could be a fluke but it's there.

The Black Ovis boxers dont tear you up???
The front to back seam vs the side to side seem of 1st lite boxers absolutely shredded me.
Imo there junk I have 4 pairs of wasted money sitting in the drawer.
I mite be able to wear them around when I'm not really hiking.
But they're never going in the woods with me again.

Have moved away from merrino for certain situations, just over the moisture retention factor.
Merrino is very warm for its weight so thin layers work where heavy layers can be too hot and then absorb too much moisture
Have had a couple hunts where the base layer becomes the allday casual suit because of trying to get it dry before hitting the tent.

+ for Black Ovis brand, especially if you’re just trying out Marino. And they do run a bit small (at least last years stock). I had to size up to XXl on the T shirts. Tried the hoodie but even the 3XL was a bit snug for my taste. I actually prefer their liner glove over First Lite’s due to the silicone gripper dots.

That said, the FL gear is fantastic and I have no issues with sizing - it runs true to me across the board, at least in the pieces I have.

I definitely agree with this for their merino blend boxers. I’m a size 34 waist and 5’10” 190lbs and carry my weight in my legs and the size L was waaaay too tight all around. I ended up going with First Lite Wick boxers and love them. In the FL I had to go with medium as the large was too big. Even if the fit was the same for both brands, I would definitely prefer the FL