Merino Underwear

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some lightweight merino or merino blend boxer briefs. I love first lite merino but have read less than stellar reviews of theirs wearing out quickly. So what have you guys had luck with? Or is everyone a fan of going commando? I will agree that it is hard to get skid marks when you aren’t wearing any undies..and if you do..well then you’ve got a major problem right there.

I've tried a few different styles and materials and my first lites are the only ones that seem to get worn..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
Just got some of the Sitka ones and they are fantastic. Which I haven’t had any trouble with my FL Red Deserts other than leaving a pair at a hunting camp last Fall which got me looking into new ones. Didn’t like the new FL offerings as much, found the Sitka ones and they are a homerun IMO.

JNDEER

WKR
Not a fan of the wool blend stuff. FL wore out the fastest. I have more success with smart wool than others- but this is just for hunting not daily wear. Never been a fan of synthetic either- but was by kuiu while back and they had some discounted a lot so I picked up a pair. For mild/ cooler weather they were actually very nice... how they do in the summer compared to wool I don’t know yet- but for sure they would outlast any merino pair.

LJ Buck

WKR
Sitka makes the best for sure. I believe FL also made the fix they need to, the pairs I have recently gotten have last twice as long and the older ones. Sitka is still the best based on durability and weight.

My FL is fine so far, about 3 seasons. Try Ridge Merino too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norm555

WKR
I do like my first lite merino boxers. Merino is never the most durable option so I pretty much only wear them hunting.

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
The Black Ovis ones are awesome imho. Ya not as durable as cotton or synthetic. So I only wear hunting or hiking.
They are much more durable than the Smartwool and Ice Breaker tho.

I've shredded multiple pairs of Firstlite boxers by simply wearing them. Neither made it a full season, big disappointment. I had a pair of Wool-X once and they lasted quite a while. Have since switched to ExOfficio and never looked back.

OP
P

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the ideas, going to be researching all these. And I do agree that merino is not at durable as synthetic, but I hate the way synthetic feels like you’re swimming in your trousers when you’re sweating pretty good. Maybe the higher end synthetics from Sitka and Kuiu don’t feel like that.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
Duluth used to make these "Alaskan Hardgear" merino boxer briefs - I've got 2 pairs and I love them. Also have a couple pairs from FL but they don't fit as nice. I haven't tried the Black Ovis ones, but they would be next on my list if I was looking for a pair to buy. They are on camofire quite a bit.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I use Meriwool boxer briefs for wool, and Exofficio 9" give-n-go boxer briefs for synthetics. Both have been durable for every day wear, hunting, and a 3 month backpacking trip through SE Asia. I recommend both in the longer lengths. Helps prevent ride up and chaffing.

Merino wool is what I go with in Icebreaker for the fit.

I have two pairs of FL Aerowool boxers in size small I don't use due to fit while hunting, if you want them let me know.

4562_500.jpg

For the money The Black Ovis are the only ones I wear while hunting or hiking. They hold up well and helps to keep the stink down.

These are pricey, but made in USA. Might be better than the 🇨🇳 Chinese First Light briefs that my wife bought me for Christmas.

I don’t have these, but wife and I do have several articles of clothing by DuckworthCo and like them so far.