Mesa Horse Gear Saddle/Cantle Bags

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Dane sent me the saddlebag platform and two standard saddlebags, and the side loading cantle bag

I’ve only got a couple of days on them so far.

3c18c5dba62979f98c33f123518f0695.jpg

I love the blaze orange.

I like the tiedowns having buckles, made it easy to carry a saddle panniers with me.

The saddle bags are a little small for what I’m used to, but sufficient. The cantle bag makes up for it. It was easy to install

the buckles & straps on the lid tend to slip a little bit. I don’t know if they need to get dirty, or if they’ll stay that way. What do you think Dane?
62ad06313960445a1bb29c0b9687e876.jpg

8f4a5c2afd0788e2d1e22d910eedc15d.jpg

d5e6bd97076113b46c5dde178f5e4325.jpg

223ab0d08b562558e3814c22c8448be0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dane sent me the saddlebag platform and two standard saddlebags, and the side loading cantle bag

I’ve only got a couple of days on them so far.

3c18c5dba62979f98c33f123518f0695.jpg

I love the blaze orange.

I like the tiedowns having buckles, made it easy to carry a saddle panniers with me.

The saddle bags are a little small for what I’m used to, but sufficient. The cantle bag makes up for it. It was easy to install

the buckles & straps on the lid tend to slip a little bit. I don’t know if they need to get dirty, or if they’ll stay that way. What do you think Dane?
62ad06313960445a1bb29c0b9687e876.jpg

8f4a5c2afd0788e2d1e22d910eedc15d.jpg

d5e6bd97076113b46c5dde178f5e4325.jpg

223ab0d08b562558e3814c22c8448be0.jpg

Robby,

Thanks for the rundown and feedback.

I have noticed that the straps on the lid will work out a bit. It seems that this only happens if the bags don't have much in them, when stuffed full they seem to stay tight. We made the risers in the lids deep so that the only way things should flop out is if the straps are actually unbuckled. That being said, there are always exceptions. We tried to find a middle ground on the buckles and straps so that the rider could easily slip them one handed from the saddle to grab something without having to actually unbuckle and re-buckle the buckles. I will look into the slippage.

As far as the sizing, these ones were intentionally made smaller than most. We are going to make a large bag as well so that no matter ones preference, they have a bag size that suits them. A few folks have contacted me about larger bags so we will be getting them together and available soon. Again, thanks for the feedback Robby!

-Dane

PNWGATOR

WKR
Appreciate the review Robby! Looks like a nice system and I’m looking forward to the larger bags, hopefully with a heavier duty zipper as well. The pommel glassing carriers are VERY interesting!

Great review Robby.

I will add, Mesa’s “Scout Package” or the spotting scope/tripod carrier for me was my probably my favorite piece of gear in 2020.

The days of cramming my spotter in my saddle bags, and trying to tie my tripod on my saddle are over. I feel like everyone who hunts off a horse can benefit greatly! Plus, when it’s a pain in the ass to deploy a tripod, you probably don’t use it as often as you should. This is extremely important to me. I can now have my tripod off the saddle and in my hands in seconds, or when I’m done, back securely and protected on the saddle in seconds. I LOVE IT!
02F20711-BEE8-406C-897A-08512C3C1675.jpegF08A65C3-00C0-409D-9172-ABCE798223C9.jpeg185AF30B-5233-4832-B9E9-159892F28185.jpeg

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
This will be an absolute game changer! Im tired of constantly fumbling around unwrapping my coat to dig my spotter and tripod out. Plus Im a short guy on a tall horse that hates to let me stand uphill

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great review Robby.

I will add, Mesa’s “Scout Package” or the spotting scope/tripod carrier for me was my probably my favorite piece of gear in 2020.

The days of cramming my spotter in my saddle bags, and trying to tie my tripod on my saddle are over. I feel like everyone who hunts off a horse can benefit greatly! Plus, when it’s a pain in the ass to deploy a tripod, you probably don’t use it as often as you should. This is extremely important to me. I can now have my tripod off the saddle and in my hands in seconds, or when I’m done, back securely and protected on the saddle in seconds. I LOVE IT!
View attachment 242806View attachment 242808View attachment 242805

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
First time looking at these products guys. Thanks for the reviews. Do you think the tripod carrier could be adapted to carry a detachable quiver full of arrows? I've always used just a cordura bow scabbard and kept my quiver attached but when leading another horse sometimes get that dang lead rope tangled up. Manageable but always looking for that better solution...lol.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
Check out TrailMax from the Outfitter Supply. Made and tested in Montana, they are larger than the Mesa stuff and you get more bang for your buck in my opinion. Same quality, I prefer the TrailMax system.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 12.25.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 12.25.04 PM.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 11
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Check out TrailMax from the Outfitter Supply. Made and tested in Montana, they are larger than the Mesa stuff and you get more bang for your buck in my opinion. Same quality, I prefer the TrailMax system.
Hey good to hear. As I believe Mesa is no longer operating.

I have concerns about getting my leg over that cantle pack either getting on or off. Certainly a concern as you get older. Early in the season I tend to pack a heavy coat behind the cantle and experience the same problem. I don't need it on the way in but after a long hike and I'm sweated out, that coat can be critical with a 15mph wind at 20 degrees. Hence I'm not much of a fan of cantle packs.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have concerns about getting my leg over that cantle pack either getting on or off. Certainly a concern as you get older. Early in the season I tend to pack a heavy coat behind the cantle and experience the same problem. I don't need it on the way in but after a long hike and I'm sweated out, that coat can be critical with a 15mph wind at 20 degrees. Hence I'm not much of a fan of cantle packs.
Hahahaha, you’re right on that! I’ve had a few comic situations getting snagged up on items tied to the cantle, horse starts walking and I’m dangling like spider man. I can say that having an enclosed cantle pack has helped a bit as I can pack it down better than a loose coat or tripod but it’s still a snag opportunity…

Ouzel

FNG
Every year I see guys with oversized saddle bags, XXL cantle bags and a 50# backpack going up the trails and I think they never give their animals back and kidneys a thought , maybe rental horses and they don’t care.
Occaisionly, I will meet fellows with saddle panniers and rigged with a britchen walking their riding stock packed and leading a pack animal(s) headed into the back country, my hat is always off to them.
My slicker and heavy coat is all that’s ever tied on my cantle, my small day pack with a few possibles and spotting scope is hanging off my saddle horn opposite my rifle to help balance the pressure on the withers.
My saddle bags carry, a 20a bottle of water ( each bag), a small hatchet, troxane bars, para cord, extra space blanket, few first aid items,and assorted hard tack candy and 22 cartridges accumulated over the years.
Someone shows up with a back pack loaded up for a Everest expedition and there will be a pack animal brought along even on just a day hunt.

I will get of my soap box now, but think of your equine pardner when in the hills.

Ouzel.

Every year I see guys with oversized saddle bags, XXL cantle bags and a 50# backpack going up the trails and I think they never give their animals back and kidneys a thought , maybe rental horses and they don’t care.
Occaisionly, I will meet fellows with saddle panniers and rigged with a britchen walking their riding stock packed and leading a pack animal(s) headed into the back country, my hat is always off to them.
My slicker and heavy coat is all that’s ever tied on my cantle, my small day pack with a few possibles and spotting scope is hanging off my saddle horn opposite my rifle to help balance the pressure on the withers.
My saddle bags carry, a 20a bottle of water ( each bag), a small hatchet, troxane bars, para cord, extra space blanket, few first aid items,and assorted hard tack candy and 22 cartridges accumulated over the years.
Someone shows up with a back pack loaded up for a Everest expedition and there will be a pack animal brought along even on just a day hunt.

I will get of my soap box now, but think of your equine pardner when in the hills.

Ouzel.

Yeah I carry the exact same gear whether walking or with my horse. My loaded backpack is just shy of 30lbs. I bring the exact same setup even when on horseback with the exception of saddle panniers and a britchin and the minimal extra gear I need for the horse such as a highline.
I do have the benefit of only weighing 165 so even with my gear my horse has a pretty nominal load. I realize some folks like the bring a string of pack animals so they can bring as much gear as possible and some folks just think let’s pack more cause the horse is doing all the work but I’m gonna pass on that personally.

I carry a small 8 pulley block and tackle, a couple skinning knives, and two quarts of gatoraide in my saddle bags. I try to keep them balanced. Most of the time they are for lunch and my mitts. Most of my parts, gear and spare shells are in my vest or on my gunbelt.
I'm very aware all of the time the weight of things on my horses kidneys. My pommel balance is my rifle on the right and an electric chainsaw on the left. The other parts are a larriet on the right and a dandy saw on the left.

If I am going to camp I pack in a camp as well as enough hay to feed my stock for the duration. It usually takes a day in and a day out depending on whether or not I have to build a hay corral to keep the range cows out of my hay. Balance is an important part of the partnership with your pony.