Mesa Precision Arms Carbon Fiber Altitude Stock

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Well I touched base with Mesa today & sure enough my order got screwed up online somehow. They were cool to work with & I reordered with the group code but I’m another 2 weeks out.😢

davsco

WKR
Well I touched base with Mesa today & sure enough my order got screwed up online somehow. They were cool to work with & I reordered with the group code but I’m another 2 weeks out.😢
bummer. when you ordered, did you get two emails, one payment received, and one transaction approved? or maybe your ticket never got printed or fell behind the desk?

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what went wrong as my wife finished the transaction part at the end. 🤷‍♂️ She’s usually good about confirmation etc but apparently dropped the ball here.

Dualsight

FNG
Gentlemen,

For those of you who have received it and have also shot with it. What is your impression? Fit? Felt recoil (in comparison to other stocks you owned on similar calibers)? Etc.

Dualsight

FNG
Another question: Did anyone who order the Mesa Altitude for Remington stock get the Urban Camo pattern? And, if so, would you post a picture?

The pictures of the Glacier on the Tikka stocks look sharp! The Urban Camo for the Remingtons look more blah on Mesa's website.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Any new takes on the stocks after putting some rounds down range? Should have mine Friday or Monday 🤞🙏

khuber84

WKR
Another question: Did anyone who order the Mesa Altitude for Remington stock get the Urban Camo pattern? And, if so, would you post a picture?

The pictures of the Glacier on the Tikka stocks look sharp! The Urban Camo for the Remingtons look more blah on Mesa's website.
Here's the woodland camo pattern. I like the stock, it's a well rounded design, half sporter half target, light and durable, high enough comb for good eye alignment on medium obj scopes in lower rings.

Attachments

• IMG_20190823_075843.jpg
    IMG_20190823_075843.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 359
I been running one of Mesa Precision Crux Ti rifles in 6.5prc with the altitude stock for the last 2 months. So, from strictly field use I can tell you the whole package is outstanding. The first week was spent on Kodiak island dropping deer. My wife and I both harvested nice bucks and the rifle felt and preformed perfectly. She had the longest shot (550) with a fairly hard angle uphill. She loved the feel and managed recoil. The whole setup with scope was right at 8 lbs, pushing 147 eld-m at 2956.
The next 6 weeks, I used it as my back up rifle guiding Dall sheep, Moose, and bear hunters. It stayed on my pack most of the time but thankfully never needed it until moose season. Moose can be stubborn to anchor so I prefer to add extra medicine to keep them from getting steam. The little 6.5 prc and 147 eld-m are a force. With good placement that bullet mushroomed and preformed outstanding on everything it touched.
The next 7 weeks, I'll be using it on several antelope, 3 mule deer, and possible a otc elk hunt. I doubt but could be surprised if the combo doesn't continue to be bad medicine.

Attachments

• 20190819_111036.jpg
    20190819_111036.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 308
  • 20190914_171307.jpg
    20190914_171307.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 302

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
My stock is waiting at the gunsmith, so I can't take measurements. Can someone measure the distance between the two front sling studs, so I can figure out a piccatinny rail that fits?

cheers

Dualsight

FNG
My stock is waiting at the gunsmith, so I can't take measurements. Can someone measure the distance between the two front sling studs, so I can figure out a piccatinny rail that fits?

cheers
The distance is 3 inches center-to-center. (Had to go further up the tape measure to find a clean spot, lol.)

Attachments

• Front Studs Distance.jpg
    Front Studs Distance.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 159
Just wanted to bump this thread to see how these stocks are doing now that y’all’ve (yes that’s a word) wrapped up rifle seasons

Dualsight

FNG
I'm very happy with mine. The folks at MESA Precision Arms wrote (modified?) a new program for the Bergara B-14 HMR (Remington clone) stock it was replacing. With very little modification, on my part, (there was some pins in the way near the trigger housing) the barreled action dropped right in. There is a good 2 lb. drop in weight swapping the HMR stock out for the MESA stock. I really like the balance. Finish is excellent. The shot groups are at least as good, if not a bit better, than before swapping stocks.

The recoil pad is glued into place; excellent fit. With people being taller, shorter, long arms, short arms, I do wish there was a choice on recoil pad thickness to change the length of pull. This is my only (minor) suggestion.

MESA Stock on Bergara (2).jpg

eoperator

WKR
I'm very happy with mine. The folks at MESA Precision Arms wrote (modified?) a new program for the Bergara B-14 HMR (Remington clone) stock it was replacing. With very little modification, on my part, (there was some pins in the way near the trigger housing) the barreled action dropped right in. There is a good 2 lb. drop in weight swapping the HMR stock out for the MESA stock. I really like the balance. Finish is excellent. The shot groups are at least as good, if not a bit better, than before swapping stocks.

The recoil pad is glued into place; excellent fit. With people being taller, shorter, long arms, short arms, I do wish there was a choice on recoil pad thickness to change the length of pull. This is my only (minor) suggestion.

View attachment 146604
Put it in your notes to change length of pull they will do it for hourly$

zog

Lil-Rokslider
The recoil pad is glued into place; excellent fit.

I have one coming and didn't think to ask about the pad. I really hate glued on rubber pads, even though I'm sure Mesa does an excellent job. Maybe they go for the glue-on because molding in screw bosses would add a bit of weight. Those soft rubber pads grab my jackets with the sharp bottom corner. I trim the corner round but trimming rubber with home tools looks awful. I'll call them and see if I have an option to add my own pad.

Glad I read this thread - the forum comes through again.

Last edited:

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
Those sharp edges on the toe and heal of the butt stock / recoil pad can be rounded off with a belt sander or pad sander. Start off with a heavy grit and work your way towards a fine grit.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
I just installed the stock and the bolt release wouldn't move. Couldn't release the bolt.

I called Mesa; John offered to take it back and fix it but I said I would rather try to fix it first - as long as I don't ruin the stock and be unable to return it. He assured me that I could do a little messing with it and they would make it right even if I screwed it up.

I notched it carefully with a dremel where it was making scratches. It was where the spring catch and push tab protrude about 1-2 mm. Problem solved.

More reason to have my action cut for a bolt release, but once you get it working it's hard to justify the expense. I hate the remington bolt release.

I installed it with a new Grayboe M5 bottom metal. I had to shorten the stock screws about 3 threads ; I don't know if that's becasue the Grayboe screw bosses are a bit thin or because the Mesa pillars are a bit short.

So now I have the stock on my 6.5 PRC Rem Ti for a total weight of 6 lb 8 oz.

Ha - Can't wait to scope it and put it in the safe until summer when I decide to sell it.:LOL:

Mesa Inlet Bolt Release.jpg

Mesa Inlet Bolt Release fixed.jpg

BG Right mag.jpg

Mesa Grayboe.jpg

BG Wt 6-8.jpg

Last edited: