Mexico Desert Bighorn - Here We Go!

Kody M

FNG
Congrats! Nothing too new here. I’ve stayed in pretty regular contact with Madean, Wade’s wife. We will schedule dates next month. They only schedule dates a year out. I’m also hoping for Feb. ‘23 dates! In the meantime, I’m working out and stashing funds for tips, import and taxidermy.
Have you been in contact with the guide at all?

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Have you been in contact with the guide at all?
I connected with Wade shortly after winning, and then Madean took over. She handles all of the scheduling, logistics, etc. She’s been fantastic and has answered all questions. I don’t know who my guide will be yet - probably will have more info when we set dates.

Kody M

FNG
I get that, that's good of ya. It's awesome that normal people are getting to go on these hunts. I am definitely way too poor to be a sheep hunter haha
I connected with Wade shortly after winning, and then Madean took over. She handles all of the scheduling, logistics, etc. She’s been fantastic and has answered all questions. I don’t know who my guide will be yet - probably will have more info when we set dates.
The guide that will most likely take you was at the expo but he was somewhere else when I went over to the wade lemon booth. They did tell me that a 160"+ ram is what you can expect

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
I get that, that's good of ya. It's awesome that normal people are getting to go on these hunts. I am definitely way too poor to be a sheep hunter haha

The guide that will most likely take you was at the expo but he was somewhere else when I went over to the wade lemon booth. They did tell me that a 160"+ ram is what you can expect
Yes I think Lance does most their guiding for Sheep down there. Also, Brandon is awesome too if you have him. Great Dude and guide … guides for Lance Kronberger in the spring/fall when he’s not down south. Good luck to you both! I hope to be there in December this year with Agua Fria.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Dates are set! Flying into Hermosillo on February 21 and departing on the 27th. Although I'm not set on it yet, I've been shooting my bow consistently. And, of course, ramping up my hiking.

Kody M

FNG
Dates are set! Flying into Hermosillo on February 21 and departing on the 27th. Although I'm not set on it yet, I've been shooting my bow consistently. And, of course, ramping up my hiking.
It's almost that time dude! I'll be down there on the 10th of February so hopefully I'll have some insight for ya before you head down. It's my first guided hunt so I'm not sure what to expect haha. Are you planning on bringing meat back with ya?

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
It's almost that time dude! I'll be down there on the 10th of February so hopefully I'll have some insight for ya before you head down. It's my first guided hunt so I'm not sure what to expect haha. Are you planning on bringing meat back with ya?
Ohh that's perfect! Mine too. They told me meat doesn't come back - what did you hear? That was my first question lol.

My firearms paperwork wasn't back from the Mex government yet, so I'm forgoing taking my own rifle. I was planning to take both my bow and rifle, but this makes the decision to focus heavily on the bow easier. I've been shooting a ton, but they have plenty of rifles down there should I decide to cave.

Flights into Hermosillo were kind of a pain from where I'm at - at least return times aren't great. I'll be flying overnight from Phoenix to Philly on the way back.

Definitely need to connect via PM to get inside info regarding logistics, accommodations and the hunt.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
For those who travel (fly) to hunt regularly:

In the past, I’ve used TSA-approved padlocks and zip ties on my bow/gun cases. My new bow case has built-in locks, however. Are those alone sufficient, or should I add additional locks?

DuckDogDr

WKR
Congratulations fella and good luck .
Any hole in your case is going to need a pad lock … trust me and you don’t want to have to buy a skitty one there … trust me

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Caught up with him again this afternoon. Put on a perfect stalk and just had to wait for him to head our direction.

The mountains here look open when you’re glassing from the valley, but they’re thick with brush when you’re on them.

Ranged shooting lanes at 30 yards. The ram popped up quick, spotted us and quartered away and uphill. I had one opening, no time to re-range, and proceeded to shoot right under him.

Great day! Bummed a little, but we’ll get back on one tomorrow.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Finally getting settled in to the day-to-day!

As per above, our first day of hunting was fantastic. We caught up with a the same mature ram twice, and I shot under him with my bow. He didn't seem too spooked, and we suspected we'd catch up with him somewhere on the mountain range the next day.

But, days 2 and 3 went by without spotting him at all. We saw a bunch of ewes, lambs and a few younger rams, but no mature rams, including the one we got a shot at on day 1. I was beginning to worry that I had spooked him more than we initially thought and that he maybe ditched the range we were hunting and headed across the desert to another mountain.

We finally caught up with him again on the morning of day 4. He was just poking his head out of some brush and boulders watching the valley below. He was in a little finger ridge not too far up from the desert floor, but there were a ton of boulders and topography that made it a perfect, out-of-the-way hiding spot. Ended up shooting him with a rifle at 175 to finish out a fantastic hunt/experience. When we got up to him, he had beds pawed out all through that section. He was obviously spending a lot of time in there, and we likely overlooked him multiple times on days 2 and 3.

Never did put a tape on him, and I don't particularly care to! Likely in the mid-160s. Chunk missing out of his right horn, a big Roman nose, gash under his chin and a bruised-up right front leg gave him plenty of character.

IMG_2672.jpg
IMG_2674.jpg